[Finished] Project: Cobalt (Chromed Copper Piping, Laser Etching, Cable Sleeving and More)

JordanMac

Exactly what I was thinking! Or you could do it with gold. Or pretty much any metal.

some polished brass would look fantastic, and it would go with the new asus gold motherboards.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Update 5

Got the midplate installed, used a mixture of screws and unibounds super strong double sided tape.

YXG9ezT.jpg

Drilled holes throught the midplate so the piping could go through, i am going to be putting a piece of plastic on the front of the midplate to hide everything under it.

PpQjycW.jpg

ypq1pjl.jpg

Midplate lights on again, just becuase it can...

brQyX37.jpg

lFKEyR4.jpg

tried some under motherboard lighting but it deifinatly needs to be brighter and possible change to white. i do have some white leds strips as the case is going to be lits up white.

kaETToM.jpg

Filed the loop with distilled water to flush out all of the gunk from the blocks and rads because they are used blocks. after an hour the water is already blue.

Njno8Dh.jpg

Next update should be tuesday, i have a day off work which i'm going to fill with nickel plating.

wow, super nice,

can i ask,why copper pipes?does it help in any way?(exept being really beatifull)

wow, super nice,

can i ask,why copper pipes?does it help in any way?(exept being really beatifull)

i wanted perfectly straight lines, it doesn't offer any performance increase it just for aesthetics. 

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

i wanted perfectly straight lines, it doesn't offer any performance increase it just for aesthetics. 

ok,very cool.

when is the next update coming?

when do you think you will finish this build?

ok,very cool.

when is the next update coming?

when do you think you will finish this build?

im currently working on the side panel however i work during the day so i'm only working on the project in the evening. i'm waiting on my chromed copper pipe to get here once it arrive it should only take about a week to finish. i'm estimating 2-3 weeks to finish.

If I am you, I will said that too :P

I would yell at you to just finish the rest of the build log, but I can't.

i'm just waiting for chromed copper pipes to arrive as they are coming from germany :(

this is amazing, really like it. Keep up the good work =)

CPU: Intel i7-7700k @4.8 Ghz Motherbord: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: GeIL Super Luce 32GB 2400MHz | Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition |
 | SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 | Power Supply: Corsair HX850i 850W Platinum Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass |

CPU Block: Phanteks Glacier C350i GPU Block: Phanteks Full Cover GTX 1080 | GPU Back Plate: EK Full Cover EK-FC1080 GTX | Reservoir: EK RES X3 250 |
| Radiator: EK CoolStream SE 360 Slim Triple Rad | Pump: EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM Pump Plexi Tubing: EK DuraClear 8/8ID 1/2OD Tubing |
Coolant: Mayhems Non Stain Blue Dye + Distilled Water | Fittings: EK ACF 10/13mm Compression fittings black Fans: Corsair HD120 RGB & Phanteks PH-F120SP |

Monitor: 2x Samsung s34e790c (34" 21:9 3440x1440) Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB  | Mouse: Razer Mamba Chroma RGB Mouse Pad: TSM Grunge |
Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel: Logitech G920 |

Any updates on this/ the copper pipes? I've never been so hooked on a build log before. :)

i'm waiting for the chrome copper pipes, once they are ill be updating everyday until its finished.

My dad is a plumber and we have been planning out and gathering parts for a copper piped build for him for quite a while now.

It is great to see someone running with this idea on the forums! I have only seen it couple times in the past! It looks AMAZING so far.

My dads build will be quite different - our case will be a Silverstone TJ11, we picked it up a two weeks ago and have been drawing out plans in our spare time since then, it will still be a few months atleast before I even post the plans on the forum!

Anyways man great job, I can't wait to see the finished product!

(that midplate is gorgeous, I'm sure you could sell them.... just saying... If you don't want to sell them make a guide!)

My dad is a plumber and we have been planning out and gathering parts for a copper piped build for him for quite a while now.

It is great to see someone running with this idea on the forums! I have only seen it couple times in the past! It looks AMAZING so far.

My dads build will be quite different - our case will be a Silverstone TJ11, we picked it up a two weeks ago and have been drawing out plans in our spare time since then, it will still be a few months atleast before I even post the plans on the forum!

Anyways man great job, I can't wait to see the finished product!

(that midplate is gorgeous, I'm sure you could sell them.... just saying... If you don't want to sell them make a guide!)

I heard you talk about this build for your dad on the live stream sounds awesome! i'm planning on releasing my drawings and cad model for the midplate once i have finished the build so anyone with a 3d printer or laser etching machine will be able to make the midplate (or a version of it for their case). thanks for you comment can't wait to see the finished build for your dads comp. :D 

Love the pipe work in-particularly  

I heard you talk about this build for your dad on the live stream sounds awesome! i'm planning on releasing my drawings and cad model for the midplate once i have finished the build so anyone with a 3d printer or laser etching machine will be able to make the midplate (or a version of it for their case). thanks for you comment can't wait to see the finished build for your dads comp. :D

That's awesome man! stoked to see the model! And thanks for the kind comments :)

That's awesome man! stoked to see the model! And thanks for the kind comments :)

thank you for your kind comments aswell :D

Update 9

Still waiting for chromed copper pipes to arrive when they do this build will be finished. 

Here i have all of the components assembled and sleeved extension inplace

I7ZsMgj.jpg

Trying to screw through the fan, dust filter, case and radiator was a pain in the ass

Uu42S3A.jpg

1jfF87X.jpg

Finally figured out a solution to get the individual leds to f*ck off and just leave me with the idea i had in the first place. i put the two parts of the midplace on different levels.

qZwzWHa.jpg

a piece of black acrylic will go in front like so to hide the hdd, ssd's and pump

8faqpgS.jpg

How the midplate should have looked from the start!

yEHmCfy.jpg

qNK9DX8.jpg

I am so nearly done its unbelievable, once the chromed copper pipes arrive i copy the pieces i already have build the loop, fill the loop ad finish off the cable management plus finalise the lighting. We are so close.

That mid plate looks amazing now! Glad you figured that out.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

That mid plate looks amazing now! Glad you figured that out.

thanks, it had been bugging me since the start of the build.

Update 7

Designs for sleeving

sRMyR7c.png

Some nice packages arrived today, i got some tools, some sleeving from mdpc and some connectors.

aH1EasK.jpg

3fQrj39.jpg

2Y452Ke.jpg

Sleeving from MDPC, blue, grey and white plus some blue sata sleeving.

zJ6O9ij.jpg

i bought a couple of 24 pin extenders so that i wouldn't have to worry about crimping my own wires.

q4lUC9O.jpg

NjS1JTC.jpg

watching Lutro0 and he said be creful removing the pins you can cut yourself and i said "Naaah, no way, not a chance." withing 5 wires this happened.

tw0KhN0.jpg

the 6 pin vga cables

wM16nrS.jpg

8z5d4Xd.jpg

0cQIU7u.jpg

Now for the 24 pin

sB3uZeY.jpg

JHyaGZQ.jpg

All of the wires including the 24pin, six 6 pin, 8 pin and one of the sata cables

vNVZ9hp.jpg

24 pin pattern

lCLrahf.jpg

Sata cable...

9sl7wGd.jpg

Well that all of the wire sleeving, the next update will be in a few days as im having trouble getting the finish i want with the nickel plating.

Where can I get those extenders? Because the ones I found were crap or the plastic was yellowing or they already had sleeving which I wasn't ready to take off and replace.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Where can I get those extenders? Because the ones I found were crap or the plastic was yellowing or they already had sleeping which I wasn't ready to take off and replace.

These are custom made extensions using mdpc sleeving.

These are custom made extensions using mdpc sleeving.

I know that you took the pins off and sleeved the cables but where did you get the original extenders without the sleeving

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I know that you took the pins off and sleeved the cables but where did you get the original extenders without the sleeving

they're cheap £1.50 extenders off ebay.