[Finished] Project: Cobalt (Chromed Copper Piping, Laser Etching, Cable Sleeving and More)

JordanMac

As a former plumber's assistant who worked on a bathroom in which the customer had bought all taps and such from IKEA, I can safely say that they use 10mm pipes. I remember how irritating it was finding the correct bits to reduce the diameter. It also bends pretty well from memory, without ruining the surface.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

As a former plumber's assistant who worked on a bathroom in which the customer had bought all taps and such from IKEA, I can safely say that they use 10mm pipes. I remember how irritating it was finding the correct bits to reduce the diameter. It also bends pretty well from memory, without ruining the surface.

do you know anywhere in the UK that has 10mm chromed copper pipes that isn't £40 a meter?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

do you know anywhere in the UK that has 10mm chromed copper pipes that isn't £40 a meter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Plumbing-Tube-Pipe-10mm-x-1500mm-CCT1500-10-/120576187879?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item1c12e69de7

Comes coiled, not sure how you would straighten it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

same way i straightened the other pipe, a vice and a hammer.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Thanks for the link but they don't ship outside germany and i cannot find 10mm chromed pipe in the uk that isn't sold in short length and really expensive

Mini Update 3

The cr*p silver pipes have been thrown away and i am awaiting delivery of 10mm chromed pipe.

i am going to be modding the window side panel in the mean time, so expect an update in the next few days. once i get the chromed piping this build will really shoot forward and i'm looking to get this build finished in 2 weeks time.

nice :D

thanks for the link i bought it off another german ebay seller, managed to agree the shipping and bought 5 meters for around 26 euro which is the price for about 1.5 meters in the uk.

Njno8Dh.jpg

Is it me or is that graphics card bending down a lot?

You might want to put something under those pipes to help them hold the graphics card up.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

You might want to put something under those pipes to help them hold the graphics card up.

the graphics card is slightly bent like that without any pipes attached i think its the weight of the block. i am going to be wedging something under the pipes down the bottom though to try and support it.

the graphics card is slightly bent like that without any pipes attached i think its the weight of the block. i am going to be wedging something under the pipes down the bottom though to try and support it.

I see the bend too, you should try to support it with your next set of pipes. 

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

awesome stuff here. u best get on build of the week when this is done

Just a guy with a beard

awesome stuff here. u best get on build of the week when this is done

thanks, i hope so too :)

I see the bend too, you should try to support it with your next set of pipes. 

its one corner that is slightly bent even when it is out of the case.

its one corner that is slightly bent even when it is out of the case.

You don't want to RMA the card?

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

You don't want to RMA the card?

i believe its the waterblock, however i didn't install the waterblock so i have no idea. its been running fine for 6 months. i may disassemble it and see whats going on.

i believe its the waterblock, however i didn't install the waterblock so i have no idea. its been running fine for 6 months. i may disassemble it and see whats going on.

Good luck!

My mind is blown.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

My mind is blown.

Looks so sexy *__*

thank you both, when the chome pipes go in i'll start to get really excited :D

thank you both, when the chome pipes go in i'll start to get really excited :D

If I ever become rich and decide to do a WC'd build I am going to use copper. I wonder if you could put copper on the outside of clear tubing. That way you could carve or laser cut pretty much anything into it. 

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

If I ever become rich and decide to do a WC'd build I am going to use copper. I wonder if you could put copper on the outside of clear tubing. That way you could carve or laser cut pretty much anything into it. 

thats a really good idea have like 3/8 od tubing (13mm) and put it inside 15mm chromed/standard copper pipe with a pattern cut into it and then you could use led's to light it up. that would be sweet. i really want you to get rich now so you can do this :)

thats a really good idea have like 3/8 od tubing (13mm) and put it inside 15mm chromed/standard copper pipe with a pattern cut into it and then you could use led's to light it up. that would be sweet. i really want you to get rich now so you can do this :)

Exactly what I was thinking! Or you could do it with gold. Or pretty much any metal.

Ye I should go find some money somewhere.