[Finished] Project: Cobalt (Chromed Copper Piping, Laser Etching, Cable Sleeving and More)

JordanMac

Mini Update 2

Some goodies arrived today:

P7150012_zps2becbd82.jpg

2 Liters of mayhems pastel blue coolantt

500grams of nickel chloride

5 nickel annodes

5m ice white led strip

P7150014_zps25c551b2.jpg

Got my work station ready for stripping and building:

P7150015_zpsefd8351b.jpg

Stripping the pc down tomorrow and starting the copper pipe bending.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Update 3

Here is my old computer ready to be disassembled.

cww6CaZ.jpg

Was going to cut the tubing but there is a Handy little draining port on the side of the rad that is at the bottom of my case.

MkKD4ZI.jpg

MB8EZzz.jpg

PC slowly starts to get smaller...

ycGtSLH.jpg

yBH8daQ.jpg

txERbLi.jpg

And this is the reason why i'm never buying uv reactant coolant ever again.

aDI0uxF.jpg

The midplate from update 2 install in the case

rPXU0vv.jpg

push fittings in place on both CPU and GPU blocks

hBr6Bos.jpg

Time to start work on the copper piping. Here i am just cutting a length of pipe from the coil using a pipe cutter, much better to use a pipe cutter than a hacksaw.

g7Mthu6.jpg

Hand straightend

hlWQTOG.jpg

to fully straighten it i clamped one end in a vice and then grip the other with a pair of pliers and hit it with a mallet.

jtBSdQI.jpg

Nice and straight

CUz69Z1.jpg

Using a Rothenberger Mini Bender to get a tight radius 90 degree bend. 4YdtqvV.jpg

6SR1QPe.jpg

vkUOUCL.jpg

Cut the scrap ends off and made sure its the correct length.

j6ZBHkP.jpg

Fitted in place between the top rad and the cpu block.

T0NPG7O.jpg

Only had time to do the one pipe run today should get some more done tomorrow and over the weekend along with the other mods.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Looks good sofar! I will be doing the same in a few weeks I think, but with chromed cobber though.

I am a little worried that the bender I have is too big for the small pieces I have to do from the motherboard to the cpu and vice versa, but I will see, maybe I have to get a smaller bender.

The midplate is really nice, too bad that the individual LEDs are so visible on the pictures.. :/

(Comming soon)

Looks good sofar! I will be doing the same in a few weeks I think, but with chromed cobber though.

I am a little worried that the bender I have is too big for the small pieces I have to do from the motherboard to the cpu and vice versa, but I will see, maybe I have to get a smaller bender.

The midplate is really nice, too bad that the individual LEDs are so visible on the pictures.. :/

Good luck with your build, i'm nickel plating my copper pipes too so they are silver. plus i have order some frosted window film that you would stick on windows for like toilet/showers etc hopefully this will block the individual leds.

I like where this is going... :D

I actually think it fits very well in this case, makes me think of individual signals travelling

along their lanes. But maybe that's just me. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Good luck with your build, i'm nickel plating my copper pipes too so they are silver. plus i have order some frosted window film that you would stick on windows for like toilet/showers etc hopefully this will block the individual leds.

Thank you! Ohh, that is nice! I think it would be too expensive for me to do that, it really has to fit in well if you stick with the copper color.. :)

I like where this is going... :D

I actually think it fits very well in this case, makes me think of individual signals travelling

along their lanes. But maybe that's just me. :D

Your actually right about that! Didnt really think of like that. But maybe the frosted film will make in a little less visible, which would be good imo. :)

(Comming soon)

Love the build so far :)

Are you going to be using the nickel chloride for electroplating the copper pipes?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Love the build so far :)

Are you going to be using the nickel chloride for electroplating the copper pipes?

Yeah, if you look in mini update 2 the bag of green powder is the nickel chloride and the chunks of metal are pure nickel.

Edit: i might do a guide on electroplating nickel.

Yeah, if you look in mini update 2 the bag of green powder is the nickel chloride and the chunks of metal are pure nickel.

I thought you can buy nickel plated pipes? Are they expensive?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Count me in for that. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I thought you can buy nickel plated pipes? Are they expensive?

you can and they are about the same price but they are only available in the standard 15mm and 22mm diameters, im using 10mm which is more common but is sold on a coil rather than a length so i assume there is some complications with coiling after plating.

Very cool, I would have gone for something other than copper though. Some silver metal so the blue could reflect off it. But keep it up!

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Very cool, I would have gone for something other than copper though. Some silver metal so the blue could reflect off it. But keep it up!

As mentioned in the posts above I think the intention is indeed to nickel plate the copper

pipes. ;)

This is just spectacular... I'm not sure if I should be sitting in awe, and appulade you, or if I should be mad that you can do something so epic, and I can't..... I think I'm going to have to go with both.

Feeling astonished & angry

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

The craftsman ship that is going into your rig is just unbelievable. 

FX-8350@4.6GHZ | GA-990FXA-UD3 | EVGA 660TI | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB | 2X 500GB WD RAPTORS RAID0 | 1TB WD BLACK | DEFINE R4 | PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE CPU COOLER | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE @ 1866MHZ | SEASONIC X-1050 PSU |

yeah as alpenwasser said im planning to nickel plate so it will be silver :)

This is just spectacular... I'm not sure if I should be sitting in awe, and appulade you, or if I should be mad that you can do something so epic, and I can't..... I think I'm going to have to go with both.

Feeling astonished & angry

The craftsman ship that is going into your rig is just unbelievable. 

this is so boss

Thank you all for your kind words. :)

Awesome! And with the copper tubes Noctua fans won't look out of place either :)

i have air penetrator 141's :)