FPS Headphones

calebp123

Ok can we please not turn tnis into any arguments about why x headphones are better then x headphones. Ok so does anyone recommend 558 for fps gaming?

Sure, but the HD 500 series has known cracking issues on the headband.

Sure, but the HD 500 series has known cracking issues on the headband.

Maybe u might like to try Beyerdynamic DT770/880? I know they have the gaming headsets but getting a seperate mic for like $20 is a better option IMO.

I'm looking at the innerfidelity graphs right now on the HD595's and the AD700

they are both extremely similar in the overall frequency graph.

what is vastly different is the Impedance at different frequencies.

ad700 sticks around 32-40ohm but the hd595 goes from 50 all the way up to 225.

I'm not positive, but are the sound cards just not able to deliver current needed for the lows on the ad700?

Well, that's one way to put it, but rather the lack of current is due to the output impedance of most of the soundcards they use with the ad700s being too high (as opposed to the HD595/8) at most frequencies and causes a major voltage drop at low freque.... aw hell, forget it.  Either they read the FAQ or they don't.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Similar frequency response =/= similar sound quality

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Similar frequency response =/= similar sound quality

Actually, the most telling charts are the square wave charts, although the methodology on headphone.com is sorta bad for some of the old measurements.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Headphones I no longer own, but have owned or tried are:

Sennheiser 555

Sennheiser 595

Beats Studio

Beats Solo

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Sony V6

Sennheiser PC360

A few different Razer headsets

Feels like I am forgetting a few but I can't remember which ones.

How would you compare the PC360 to the HD558 for sound and possibly the modmic (if it is a competitor) to the mic on it? I have a friend that dick rides headsets and refuses to give real headphones a chance.

I'm looking at the innerfidelity graphs right now on the HD595's and the AD700

they are both extremely similar in the overall frequency graph.

what is vastly different is the Impedance at different frequencies.

ad700 sticks around 32-40ohm but the hd595 goes from 50 all the way up to 225.

I'm not positive, but are the sound cards just not able to deliver current needed for the lows on the ad700?

Ad700 just doesn't have very much bass to begin with. The Fiio E10's bass boost is a nice compensation for this but this is an extra device and still probably wouldn't give as much bass as the HD558 and definitely not like my DT 770.

That's probably it - I assume most people buying a $100 headphone aren't going to shell out big money for their source.

Pretty much this. I mean, an Asus Xonar DX was my first soundcard for my AD700 and ATH-M50 and it was great. The DG would be good too for under $50, but I still highly prefer my E10 until I find something similar but quite a bit better if I put more money into it.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

How would you compare the PC360 to the HD558 for sound and possibly the modmic (if it is a competitor) to the mic on it? I have a friend that dick rides headsets and refuses to give real headphones a chance.

Ad700 just doesn't have very much bass to begin with. The Fiio E10's bass boost is a nice compensation for this but this is an extra device and still probably wouldn't give as much bass as the HD558 and definitely not like my DT 770.

Pretty much this. I mean, an Asus Xonar DX was my first soundcard for my AD700 and ATH-M50 and it was great. The DG would be good too for under $50, but I still highly prefer my E10 until I find something similar but quite a bit better if I put more money into it.

DT 770 or DT880 Pro 250ohm + a DGX/Phoebus/STX make an excellent combo if i add in a seperate mic for movies and games..? have a sudden appeal for the Beyer's look lol

DT 770 or DT880 Pro 250ohm + a DGX/Phoebus/STX make an excellent combo if i add in a seperate mic for movies and games..? have a sudden appeal for the Beyer's look lol

It depends on what you want.

DT 770 = Closed

DT 880 = Somewhat closed (correctly me if I'm wrong)

DT 990 = Open

I used to have the DT990 and it was great too but I had the 250ohm version when I was using an audio-gd. Now I have the DT 770 80ohm and my fiio e10.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

@Gorgatron the hd555 is about equal sq wise to the pc360. Andmy money is on the mod Mic for the better Mic

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

LOL why so mad?

all I did was ask if you tried the 598's? did I say "ZOMG DID YOU TRY DEH 598 U NOOB LOLZORS? YOU'RE WRONGZORS"

No you didn't just ask if I had tried the 598. First you said that nobody on Hi-Fi who owns multiple headphones would recommend them, which is false. Then you asked if I had used any other headphones than the ad700.

If I sounded mad in my post then sorry, that was not my intention (long post does not mean someone is mad), you seem a bit mad though since you are writing some of your post in all caps for some reason.

then you go on to list the ones you have....because it....what, you're trying to win the internet? prove how right you are?

Like I said in my post, I listed them because you seem to think that more headphones = more creditable (which I have already said is not true). You asked me about some specific headphones so I decided to list most of them.

all I did was provide input on headphones I actually owned for long periods of time

but SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH ME ON THE INTERNET I HAVE TO ARGUE AND PROVE HOW RIGHT I AM!

It's not that I disagree with you. As I said in my previous posts I think there are a lot better headphones out there than the ad700 if you want good audio for music and video. However, OP asked specifically for FPS headphones that are good for pinpointing footsteps and his budget is/was 200 dollars maximum. You then come in and recommend headphones which are not only more expensive, but also worse for pinpointing footsteps is not helping OP at all.

Ok so does anyone recommend 558 for fps gaming?

Depends on how much you can get them for. The 558 is basically the 598 but with a smaller sound stage, more bass and overall less refined sound. They won't really be anything special for gaming but from what I've read they are good. Sometimes even better value than the 598. I've heard that removing the foam behind the driver on the 558 makes them sound very similar to the 598. Not identical, since they use slightly different materials on for example the grill, but very similar. Sennheiser did the same thing with the HD 555 and HD 595. Please note that this does make them more open though, which you might think is good, and you might think it is bad.

I haven't used the HD558 so I can just go by what I've read in reviews. I didn't test the PC 360 and the HD 555 at the same time so I might be wrong, but I remember them being almost identical (except one had a mic and volume control, and the other one did not).

The HD 558 has better sound stage and more open sounding (from what I've read). Don't quote me on this, but I *think* the PC 360, HD555, HD595, HD558 and the HD598 all use the same driver. The difference being padding behind the driver (all of them except the 595 and 598 have it) and then the design on the grills as well as the design around the drivers. I still would not recommend the PC 360 though. More things that can break (Sennheiser are not really know for durability, especially not the headbands on the 555 and 595) and for the price difference (about 55 dollars on Amazon) you can get a good mic which will be as good if not better than the mic on the PC 360.

@Gorgatron the hd555 is about equal sq wise to the pc360. Andmy money is on the mod Mic for the better Mic

I would agree so but only based on the price of the modmic. I supposed if you can afford the PC360 and want the convenience that is fine too.

I haven't used the HD558 so I can just go by what I've read in reviews. I didn't test the PC 360 and the HD 555 at the same time so I might be wrong, but I remember them being almost identical (except one had a mic and volume control, and the other one did not).

The HD 558 has better sound stage and more open sounding (from what I've read). Don't quote me on this, but I *think* the PC 360, HD555, HD595, HD558 and the HD598 all use the same driver. The difference being padding behind the driver (all of them except the 595 and 598 have it) and then the design on the grills as well as the design around the drivers. I still would not recommend the PC 360 though. More things that can break (Sennheiser are not really know for durability, especially not the headbands on the 555 and 595) and for the price difference (about 55 dollars on Amazon) you can get a good mic which will be as good if not better than the mic on the PC 360.

My friend I spoke about has the PC360 and I know for a fact that those are closed headphones. I would assume maybe with competitive gaming if you wanted to block excessive noise closed will be better.

My friend I spoke about has the PC360 and I know for a fact that those are closed headphones. I would assume maybe with competitive gaming if you wanted to block excessive noise closed will be better.

I think that you are getting them mixed up with the PC350. The 360 is open, the 350 is closed.

I use v-moda m100's, they have a fantastic sound stage and just really good overall sound quality.

NZXT Tempest 210, 4770k @ 4.6ghz, Phanteks PH-TC14CS, 660ti DirectCUII @ 1180mhz, Asrock extreme 3, 8gb gskill sniper, ocz zt series 650w, wd blue 1tb, CM storm Quickfire w/ mx blues, Team scorpion X-Luca http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42301-the-mean-green-machine/?p=550606

I think that you are getting them mixed up with the PC350. The 360 is open, the 350 is closed.

Derp you're right. I think my friend might have the PC350. I haven't seen him in a while since he lives in a different state.

I recommend whatever Asus Xonar card is in your budget. I don't know to much about Creative or Filo though

I would say get Schiit, but that would be his whole budget right there.

I recommend whatever Asus Xonar card is in your budget. I don't know to much about Creative or Filo though

Fiio E10 is really amazing for $60~ in my opinion.

Almost no reviews, but apparently the beyer DT440's Have a very good soundstage with some included bass.

They are basically 90% open headphones. A bloke i was talking to back and forth for 3 days over the internet from here [Amazing site]> (http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1) gave me three options.

AD700 $169

DT440 $189

TAD500 $159 (I purchased these ones)

Supposedly the TAD500s because of their smaller cup resemble the AD700's better than most headsets but bassier.

I also have an order for some HD558's from Myer got em for $179

Edited by Pipinhot

I want a casual meeting with an Elephant, Orangutan, Crow and a Bottlenose Dolphin. 

Does anyone know if you can use Dolby Headphone with pretty much any hardware?

any headphones will give u the ability to hear footsteps

Does anyone know if you can use Dolby Headphone with pretty much any hardware? It's the superior software for 3D sound in my opinion.

You need a source that supports it.

Well yah I know that but I'm talking directional.

stereo will give you left and right. are you talking surround sound? cuz i had 5.1 and i find stereo just fine for competitive gaming.

stereo will give you left and right. are you talking surround sound? cuz i had 5.1 and i find stereo just fine for competitive gaming.

>5.1

>Competitive gaming

TF2 is competitive? I wasn't sure hat collecting was a sport.