Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ONOTech

$475 AMDesperate Build Log - R9 280X, 8 Core CPU

475? damn...

Posted · Original PosterOP

I tried to be clever with the title..

zrGzTrZ.png

Well, this is a basic build log, but I feel like I'm going to enjoy it. My friend needed a new PC for about $450 ish, and although that's a decent amount of money, he's upgrading from a very crummy laptop, so I wanted to make this computer really stand out for him. He mostly renders and does editing and will need the computer for Maya, Blender, Autodesk, etc, combined with a bit of gaming on the side. With that being said, I went to look for Microcenter deals...and Lord did I find some awesome ones.

UPDATE 1

UPDATE 2

CPU/MOBO: 8320E + M5A97 R2.0 $109.99. First off, before you judge me for choosing AMD, the CPU + motherboard combo was only $109.99 before tax which is an absolute steal considering the 8320E is a 95W 8 core CPU. 

RAM: EVGA 8GB 1600Mhz RAM - $49.99. Usually I don't look for ram at Microcenter simply because it's 10 or so dollars more than Newegg or Amazon's ram, but this was fairly priced at 49.99, so why not?

GPU: ASUS R9 280X - $189.99. Since he plays Skyrim and possibly a bit of GTA V on the side, I went all out on a GPU that will fit the budget. I actually ordered this from @gpuShack and will be my first time using it, so I'll see how it goes.

HDD: 1 TB - $39.99. Again, 1TB is a good starting point and it's priced very well at $39.99

PSU: Rosewill 630-Watt Green Series 80+ Cert - $49.99. The PC will not use more than 320 or so watts on load, so this power supply is fine....I hope.

CASE: LEPA LPC306 - $34.99. Generally speaking, I go for more popular name brand computer cases, but this is an ATX mid tower with USB 3.0 and a super sexy sleek design while staying perfectly under the budget. Again, this a less used case, so I'm gonna see how well it works (I'm sure it will be fine).

CPU COOLER: Deepcool GAMMAXX 200 - Free. He already had this CPU cooler on him, so we might as well use it.

TOTAL: 474.94

CPU, RAM, MOBO Pics (will add more later):

Don't mind the price stickers on the CPU or Mobo.

K95u0Ku.jpg

UL8QLyA.jpg

Follow if you want more updates. Like I said, nothing too interesting...no SLI'ed Titans or Extreme i7s lol

I will update the build log with benchmarks when this is up and running.

Might actually replicate this build for my brother

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

That motherboard + CPU combo is actually a steal. Same with that 280X

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Yep, that's one of the few situations an FX 8*** can't be beaten for price when compared to Intel's counterparts. Rendering on a budget.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm inclined to recommend a nvidia GPU for all the above usage cases.  Games have tended to perform better on Nvidia GPUs in the last little while, and depending on what software he uses, CUDA support may be present and may be a performance boost over OpenCL.  Could be wrong though.

@ONOTech

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Might actually replicate this build for my brother

Go for it man! This will definitely be a beast when I get it up and running...I'll be sure to benchmark it as well.

475? damn...

Right? I'm sorta mad because it's a lot better than my PC, while only being a little bit more expensive haha.

That motherboard + CPU combo is actually a steal. Same with that 280X

Yep. I got the last 8320E in stock as well. 280X is refurbished, but gpushack seems to have great reviews, so I decided to go for it.

Yep, that's one of the few situations an FX 8*** can't be beaten for price when compared to Intel's counterparts. Rendering on a budget.

Very true my friend. I could have went i3 for about $25 more, but the rendering would have suffered.

I'm inclined to recommend a nvidia GPU for all the above usage cases.  Games have tended to perform better on Nvidia GPUs in the last little while, and depending on what software he uses, CUDA support may be present and may be a performance boost over OpenCL.  Could be wrong though.

@ONOTech

Eh. I'm not too good with CUDE vs OpenCL outside of Sony Vegas, but the best nVidia GPU I could have gotten was a GTX 960 for $199 after rebates. 280X beats it was about $10 cheaper (though refurbished). 

@ONOTech

Welll, you sure as hell won't find a 960 for under $200, and the 280x does outperform it hands down.

how did you manage to get the 8320 and that mobo for $110?!?!

I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

Great build man. I'm bookmarking this! The price on the ram will fluctuaite, so I might get some kingston or crucial, and I would choose a different cpu cooler, like a hyper 212 evo, and mabey a msi twin frozer card.

--Gas_Mask_

Welll, you sure as hell won't find a 960 for under $200, and the 280x does outperform it hands down.

How much do used 770's go for?  They perform similarly to a 280x, and the 280x is refurbished too anyway.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Go for it man! This will definitely be a beast when I get it up and running...I'll be sure to benchmark it as well.

Right? I'm sorta mad because it's a lot better than my PC, while only being a little bit more expensive haha.

Yep. I got the last 8320E in stock as well. 280X is refurbished, but gpushack seems to have great reviews, so I decided to go for it.

Very true my friend. I could have went i3 for about $25 more, but the rendering would have suffered.

Eh. I'm not too good with CUDE vs OpenCL outside of Sony Vegas, but the best nVidia GPU I could have gotten was a GTX 960 for $199 after rebates. 280X beats it was about $10 cheaper (though refurbished).

For the price and selection you did a very good job with this!! Might do something similar to this as a pc for my parents since they have an old laptop to use that is really slow.

Edit: I was originally looking at a build with that CPU and Mobo for myself a couple months ago and the mobo itself was around the price of what you got for the CPU and Mobo.

| CPU: Intel i7 8700k | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 | RAM: 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB | Storage: Samsung 250 GB SSD and WD 1 TB | MOBO: Asus Strix Z370E | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 TG | PSU: EVGA 650W G3 80+ Gold | Peripherals: Corsair Strafe brown and Corsair M65Pro |

how did you manage to get the 8320 and that mobo for $110?!?!

Micro Center my friend. God's esoteric gift to sent down straight from the heavens.

Great build man. I'm bookmarking this! The price on the ram will fluctuaite, so I might get some kingston or crucial, and I would choose a different cpu cooler, like a hyper 212 evo, and mabey a msi twin frozer card.

Thank you! :) The ram was at an all time low at Micro Center at the time, and instead of waiting to ship some ram, I picked some up. The CPU Cooler I am a bit wary of, but if he doesn't over clock I'm sure he will be fine.

I really wish I got a different brand of the 280X as well. The Asus version seems to have some issues, but I went for it anyway since it was refurbished, and thus, any issues were fixed. People say the temps are kinda on the higher side, but oh well haha.

Love the title, actually made me chuckle. 

Glad it did ;)

For the price and selection you did a very good job with this!! Might do something similar to this as a pc for my parents since they have an old laptop to use that is really slow.

Definitely do it. Just make sure you get some proper cooling for the 8XXX CPU, they can get hot

Edit: I was originally looking at a build with that CPU and Mobo for myself a couple months ago and the mobo itself was around the price of what you got for the CPU and Mobo.

If they aren't doing something that requires as many threads as possible, an Athlon x4 or i3 will be a good choice.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nice title. Definitely more creative that most of mine lol

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

Definitely do it. Just make sure you get some proper cooling for the 8XXX CPU, they can get hot

Probably just a 212 Evo and slight OC. Maybe if there is a little more money the Noctua ND-H14 or whatever the letters are.

| CPU: Intel i7 8700k | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 | RAM: 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB | Storage: Samsung 250 GB SSD and WD 1 TB | MOBO: Asus Strix Z370E | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 TG | PSU: EVGA 650W G3 80+ Gold | Peripherals: Corsair Strafe brown and Corsair M65Pro |

If they aren't doing something that requires as many threads as possible, an Athlon x4 or i3 will be a good choice.

Well my mom usually has a lot of stuff open and uses photoshop and such a good amount so instead of an i5 or i7 this would be the better choice since they definitely won't be gaming, I might use it sometimes for the heck of it but that doesn't justify buying an i5.

Nice title. Definitely more creative that most of mine lol

Thank you :D It took me a good 5-6 minutes to think of a slightly clever one

Probably just a 212 Evo and slight OC. Maybe if there is a little more money the Noctua ND-H14 or whatever the letters are.

I would say get an APU simply because they have everything you need while staying under $130. A 212 EVO is definitely enough for the 8320E though. The Noctua may be over kill for your parents lol

Thank you :D It took me a good 5-6 minutes to think of a slightly clever one

I would say get an APU simply because they have everything you need while staying under $130. A 212 EVO is definitely enough for the 8320E though. The Noctua may be over kill for your parents lol

xD well the laptop she has is a shitty APU so I want to stay away from those, and the price of the FX isn't that bad for it.

Great build. If the physical store is nearby check out some their open box deals too. 

My workstation PC cost me a dear amount of money but value builds like this always make me smile. I assume you already have the OS or you bought one from Captain Jack Sparrow.

PC horsepower for the masses!

Definitely the best build I have seen for that budget.

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier