Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forum!

LinusTech
Message added by colonel_mortis

Welcome to the forum! Please also take a look at the Community Standards to make sure you are aware of our rules.

Hi everyone! Signed up just now. I just wanted to thank Linus and everyone in LTT. Your videos helped me a lot recently.

Just a bit of a background here: My old PC was a Core i7-2600 on an Asus Sabertooth P67 board with 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Originally it had an ASUS GeForce GTX 750 TI but it already broke down around 1 or 2 years ago. I had no budget when it broke down so I replaced it with a relatively inexpensive card: ASUS Phoenix GeForce GT 1030 OC edition (*insert sad meme here*). This PC is already 9 years old but honestly, I'm attached to it (lol) since I've played a lot of games with it and been using it for quite a long time. Through the years I've been doing some minor upgrades like adding additonal RAM (originally it was just 8GB) and recently I added a solid state drive to make it boot faster. I'm from the Philippines, by the way, so PC parts are more expensive here.

Then came May 2020. I decided that it's time to get a new PC. At first, I was planning to go with an Intel Core i5-9400F but I also looked into AMD's Ryzen lineup. To be honest, I know nothing about AMD processors during this time. I was biased towards Intel and Asus because of my experience with my old machine but I saw social media posts and articles raving about the 3rd Generation Ryzen Processors. So I got curious. From May up to around half of June, I was researching, reading write ups and watching videos related to it, finding comparisons with the Intel offerings, looking at benchmarks, looking at the Pros and Cons of switching processor brands. I have to say, most of the decisions that I made was based on what I learned from LTT videos. Most of the parts I chose for the new PC was also based on what I learned from LTT. Honestly, it felt like I was doing a study of sorts LOL.

I chose to go with Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 32GB (2x16GB) HyperX Fury DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18 @1.35V (I only wanted 2x8GB sticks but we're having a shortage of PC parts here because of the pandemic), and a Galax GTX1050 TI (got no choice, this was the only available budget-friendly card. I'll upgrade this in the near future). I also wanted an AIO cooler but I can't fit it in the budget anymore so I just had to settle for a Thermaltake UX200 (again, the only available CPU cooler on that store). Performance-wise, I am more than happy and satisifed with this build although there is still room for improvements.

So thank you LTT. Your videos pointed me to the right direction and helped me to understand stuff that I needed to make the right decisions. :)

On a side note: I hope Linus keeps the beard. LOL.

My name is Peter Starzynski. I am new here. I have been a lover of tech for a while now. I have always loved mobile tech. But I really want to learn more about computer tech, how to build PCs, ect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, new to the forums but a bit old school in the world of PC gaming.  As my name implies, I'm a big fan of Halo since the Halo CE days on the OG XBOX back in 2001.

A bit of history about my past builds with some pictures even!

My first PC (no pictures sadly) was back in 2003 when I was given an older Dell desktop that had 512mb of RAM (a lot for 2003, lol), a 1ghz Pentium III CPU and a 40GB HDD.  Then for my first foray into the wonderful world of PC gaming, I worked at a car wash when I was a junior in high school and bought an Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4800 128mb.  I was a very happy gamer until my next PC that was truly my first built PC.

The first PC I built in late 2006 was also my most overkill and expensive PC I ever built, never again, lol.  I was also a terrible wiring management noob and soon learned the importance of proper wiring management when my PC became a space heater during the summer.  Sadly, these are the only pictures I still have of that yesteryear beast before I upgraded to a 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600 resolution that was glorious on Oblivion modded from that 21 inch Gateway 1650x1050 monitor.  My rig was air cooled because water cooling was in it's infancy and I was not ready when you didn't have complete kits like we have today and was truly custom built at the time.  This PC cost me over 6K at the time and it was ugly inside with the bad wiring management.  Sadly, I lost my HDD that had updated pics with vastly improved wiring management, Logitech G51 speakers, all green LED fans, more RAM and the Dell Ultrasharp display.  I also eventually upgraded to all green LED fans so it was an even look inside the tower but don't have pictures of it sadly.  I was broke but one very happy gamer for the next four years and learned not to charge your credit card to max, took me a year to pay it all off right before the Great Recession hit in late 2007.  Forgive my messy room, I was in college at the time and didn't really care to clean my room like many young college aged kids were back then lol.  I was only 20 years old when I built this beast that juggled college life, work (assistant manager at Safeway) and many many many hours of happy gaming and dating, lol.  I sold that yesteryear beast in mid 2010 because of the Great Recession and being tight on money, I sold it for $800 for everything.  I plan do to a retro build and try to rebuild that yesteryear beast soon for nostalgia. 

These were the specs of that yesteryear beast that could actually play Crysis decently at 1650x1050 at the time with mid-high settings and console-like fps, lol.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 cooled w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED  (Couldn't find the Nvidia Edition though, I was sad)

EVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard (I wanted the ASUS Striker Extreme that was sold out)

4GB (2GB at first) of Mushkin Redline XP2 DDR2 1000

2x XFX Geforce 8800 GTX in SLI (who remembers when XFX used to make Nvidia GPU's???)

Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion sound card

2x 150GB WD Raptor 10000 RPM HDD in Raid 0 w/Win XP Pro x64 then Vista Ultimate x64

2x 720 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD for games and storage

Fan controller w/ multicard reader

Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU

Cooler Master Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition

DVD burner and reader from old PC

Floppy drive, lol

Gateway 21 inch 1650x1050 monitor that could tilt later upgraded to a 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp 2650x1600 in mid 2007

Logitech Orbit MP

Logitech G5 mouse

Logitech G15 original blue keyboard

Don't remember brand 5.1 surround sound (Upgraded to Logitech G51 in 2007)

My PC was about two months old here, so it was beginning to collect dust and I cleaned it afterwards.  It was after these pics where I seriously began properly tucking the wires before my upgrades soon after.  Sadly as said, my HDD that had those updated pics crashed, so I lost everything :(

HPIM0281.thumb.jpg.24c650bf434093d509fc2d65ffe6049d.jpg

HPIM0282.thumb.jpg.654acfb3ab5e9abcb813c905c086ad20.jpg

HPIM0286.thumb.jpg.c8c10d4a125792a3692cc59f143c60db.jpg

HPIM0293.thumb.jpg.1e31183fbb0ff73a29c7fcd616a97737.jpg

HPIM0295.thumb.jpg.e7015b4b1caa5c8f621f6ce023dc19b9.jpg

Then after I sold that yesteryear beast, I mostly stuck to console gaming because the Great Recession had a big impact on having a decent paying job at the time.  It wasn't until fall of 2014 where I built my next true gaming PC, it was a LOT more modest than the yesteryear beast.

i7 4790k w/ EVO 212 push pull setup

ASUS Z97-A

8GB (later 16GB) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 w/ cooling fans

2x Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 in SLI (later upgraded to 2x Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme SLI in summer 2015)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G

4x various SSD's from 240GB to 960GB all SATA w/Win 7 Ultimate x64 and then Win 10 Pro x64

Cougar Evolution tower

HyperX Cloud headset

Cooler Master Devastator II KB/M

XBOX One Elite controller

55 inch LG 4K 3D TV

1929621874_Mygamingrig_zpsoqmbzkr6.jpg.b4d23d7b08a820a3a330e0d886d78b83.jpg

I happily gamed on that PC for nearly 6 years until the motherboard went bad recently.  So I finally built my latest PC, sure it's last gen Intel stuff but they were on sale at my local Microcenter where I paid $430 for my i9 9900K for example, plus, the new gen stuff was sold out.  Again, it's a bit modest and mixed with new and old parts, I call this the Budget Beast because selling my old parts helped a lot in the cost with this mega upgrade that I hope would last me for at least another 5 years with just a GPU upgrade sometime in 2022. 

i9 9900K w/EVGA CLC 360

ASUS Maximus Hero XI CoD BLOPS 4 Edition

32GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4 3200 CL14

2x Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme in SLI (Going to upgrade to 2x ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti SLI for $700 both cards locally tonight when the seller gets off at 7PM EST)

ASUS PCE-AC88 Wifi adapter (crappy signal from router, much better now and works together with mobo wifi

Samsung 970 EVO M2 SSD w/Win 10 Pro x64

4x various SSD SATA from prior build

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G from prior build (has 10 year warranty and still going strong after nearly 6 years)

Cooler Master NR600 tower

Cooler Master Devastator II KB/M

XBOX One Elite controller

55 inch Samsung Q60 series QLED TV with both 1080/1440p 120hz native and 4K 60hz panel w/Freesync and sub 10 ms input lag (great for my gaming needs from my couch)

440335024_BudgetBeast.thumb.jpg.768631fa870dfba62634bdeed22eb5da.jpg

When I sold the old i7 4790k CPU, 212 EVO cooler, broken motherboard, RAM and tower to a local guy who flips on Ebay, I made $300, not bad considering the i7 4790k sells well because of Win 7 support that many people out there still use.  Then I sold both my 980 Ti's yesterday for $500 to a local guy and tonight I will be picking up my 1080 Ti SLI.  So for the total cost I paid for the new parts (CPU, mobo, RAM, CPU WC kit, Wifi adapter, tower, thermal paste and both GPUs (they are used though)) sits at about $1900.  Now subtract the $800 I made selling the old parts and both 980 Ti's, that's a grand total of about $1100 I paid this mega upgrade cycle.  Hence the name Budget Beast because an i9 9900K, 32GB of RM and two GTX 1080 Ti's in SLI is not by any means a slouch but cost a modest budget.  Don't mind the fans that are dusty, I cleaned them after attaching them to the EVGA cooler radiator for a pull pull setup and the temps stay below 45 degrees under heavy gaming, it's why the PC was off because I was finishing the build.  I tested both cards at the sellers house yesterday, he just needed to take them out and such, so I'm about to leave in a while to go pick them up. 

So here I am, I hope to impart my wisdom to my fellow gamers, though, I'm a bit behind the tech curve because of the large 5+ year upgrade cycles I go for now these days.

Hello boys and girls. Watched LTT videos on and off for years just when an interesting one would pop up or if I had something in particular I was trying to figure out. Started working from home, decided to buy a 5700 XT to upgrade from my 970, then within a month I rebuilt the whole thing besides case and psu. Just kept wanting to double check stuff on the new build, my previous one wasn't too crazy so I didn't try to mess with it too much, but that turned into me watching a bunch of videos. Now my girlfriend and I are watching the videos all the time. Scrapyard Wars season 8 over the weekend is one of the best things they have ever done, really really good. I should have watched a bit more before I did my rebuild however because I cheaped out on my motherboard and now have one that can't overclock my 9700k and doesn't support anything higher that 2600 ram. Although I probably wouldn't overclock anyways. That's what happens when you suddenly decide to upgrade, don't sleep on it, and trust PC Part Picker to point out any potential flaw in your build I suppose, that and having a microcenter that you really want to go to the next day.

Me too.This is the first forum that I've ever signed up.

Hi,Linus.I was watching your videos since I was 10 years old but,Sorry to took this long to join the forum. Apologies.🧎‍♂️

Hello!

Long time follower and subscriber here.

This is my first time signing up to the forums, though. I've finally gotten around in attempting my first ever rig build (technically my 2nd, but this will be my first solo build. First one in 2010 was just a grocery list I had that got assembled by the store.) 

I hope to get good tips and advice from the community, and hopefully share some of the little knowledge I may also have.

Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the forum so I thought it common courtesy to say hi 🙂

Hello There!

Glad to be a part of the group!

Hi! I'm new on the forum. Hope we can help each other :)

I am new here but I've been subscribed to LTT on YouTube for a while. Hi everyone. :) Love all this tech stuff and have some things to share and discuss :) 

I am not a native English speaker, so I might make some mistakes here and there. I am sorry in advance for that. I do my best to write as good and clean as I can. Cheers!

Hi everyone! :D I'm new here and I'm going to build my first pc.

I just wanted to say 'Thank you!' to LTT YouTube crew and LTT Forum members... thanks to your super clear awesome videos and some posts on the Forums (maan, the tier lists!) a newbie like me is understanding how to put a build together!

Hey, I'm a long time watcher of the LTT YouTube channel, although I think I've only just subscribed in the last couple months. I used to think Linus was super cringy, until I actually started watching his videos. 

1 hour ago, FlowOnShow said:

Hey, I'm a long time watcher of the LTT YouTube channel, although I think I've only just subscribed in the last couple months. I used to think Linus was super cringy, until I actually started watching his videos. 

he still is really cringy, it's just in the endearing kind of cringe

Hi, I discovered LTT around 2 years ago and after binging a lot of his videos I was hooked. Glad to be a part of this community.

Hello all. New here. Not new to Linus. He is the very reason I've spent thousands of dollars in hardware over the years, not that I'm complaining!

Been here a few weeks already but just found this thread. Hi from europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got here to find help about a problem in my PSU, and might just stick around! Have been building PCs since I was a kid and have just built a new one! 

My avatar is my dog. 😃

Hello.

New member here living in Japan, but not Japanese national😉. registered to join a thread about Fan control software that seems quite promising as alternative to Speedfan.

On 1/3/2013 at 12:03 AM, LinusTech said:

helping each other

Hello,

My name is Alan Mattano, ex Ferrari Pinin desigenr and sailbout designer. Now Indie dev. 

I'm available for any question about aerodynamic, game and 3D. My Pc setup is extreme and medium badger. i5 9600K, 1080Ti x2 , 4K 48" + VR Odyseey + HD, 100Gb Ram, 1tb eM2 + SSDs..., etc