Samsung leaks of 4.6" S6 Mini and 5.5" S6 Plus - Updated

Aniallation

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/03/new-galaxy-s6-4-6-inch-5-5-inch/

S6 Mini isn't a surprise and is to be expected... S6 Plus though, might be an interesting option alongside the Note 5. And for once, the Mini version actually has a decent CPU, the same S808 found in the LG G4. Where is Apple in all of this though? A couple years ago they were getting sued cause the Galaxy S1 looked like the iPhone 3G, now they're blatantly copying with no issues.

S6-S5-Mini.png

(Regular S6 vs proposed Mini)

A pair of fascinating leaks have emerged this week claiming to reveal the existence of both a high powered 4.6-inch Galaxy S6 and a 5.5-inch ‘Galaxy S6 Plus’, the latter of which has the same curved display as the Galaxy S6 Edge.

4.6 inch Galaxy S6 Mini:

GSMArena breaks the news of the smaller S6 variant via a new unexpected arrival on the GFX Benchmark database – the Samsung ‘SM-G9198’.

GFX is widely used to test Android handsets. It logs the data on all models that pass through it, making them publicly available and what stands out about the G9198 is its iPhone 6 comparable screen size and resolution, backed up with the same premium Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 chipset as used successfully in the LG G4.

The former is nothing new. Samsung has long had ‘Mini’ versions of its Galaxy S range, but this appears to be the first time it is making the effort to match Apple’s smaller iPhone by giving it premium specs. This includes a 15MP rear camera, 5MP front camera and 2GB of RAM. By comparison, last year the disappointing Galaxy S5 Mini had an underpowered Exynos 3 Quad 3470 chipset, an 8MP rear camera, 2.7MP front camera and 1.5GB of RAM. This makes what could well be the new ‘Galaxy S6 Mini’ a major step up and the combination of the Snapdragon 808 and a 768p display means it should fly.

5.5 inch Galaxy S6 Plus:

Italy’s famous HDBlog was the site to get the new info this time and reveals that the device – developed under the codename ‘Project Zero 2’ (the S6 and S6 Edge were ‘Project Zero’) is not related to the upcoming Galaxy Note refresh and has more of mainstream consumer/reduced productivity focus.

Consequently the Galaxy S6 Plus won’t have a stylus (and it is hotly expected there will be no expandable memory or removable battery either) but it will have the same dual sized curved screens as the Galaxy S6 Edge. Unsurprisingly, it will also sport a significantly larger battery.

A formal announcement is claimed to happen within weeks.

Update: http://www.gsmarena.com/could_this_be_the_upcoming_55inch_galaxy_s6_plus-news-12522.php

Now, a set of leaked shots might be the first glimpse to date of the alleged Galaxy S6 Plus. The handset appears to be a beefier version of the Galaxy S6 edge, although, frankly, it is quite hard to judge size from the given perspective. The pictured device looks almost identical to the Galaxy S6 edge and the only real difference we managed to detect at first glimpse is a slightly changed icon set, which isn't really indicative of anything.

gsmarena_001.jpg'

The home button also seems to be missing its chrome accent, but, it could just be the angle or lighting and the rather perplexing blacked out areas also distort perception quite a bit. Specs-wise, the handset is said to be powered by a Snapdragon 808 chipset with a hexa-core processor, and sport a 5.4- or 5.5-inch Super AMOLED dual-edge curved display. It is expected to come with 32GB internal memory, and feature a 5MP front and a 16MP rear camera.

gsmarena_002.jpg

Original article for S6 Mini - GSMArena: http://www.gsmarena.com/a_46_samsung_with_snapdragon_808_leaks_is_this_galaxy_s6_mini-news-12453.php

The new Samsung Galaxy goes under the SM-G9198 model number and according to the specs in GFX charts it packs a 4.6" HD display (1280 x 768) and runs on the Snapdragon 808 chip. The latter is the powerhouse underneath the newly released LG G4 and comes with a 6-core CPU (2x Cortex-A57 and 4x Cortex-A53), Adreno 418 GPU and 2GB of RAM.

gsmarena_001.jpg

The SM-G9198 also features a 16MP 16:9 rear camera with 1080p video recording and a 5MP selfie snapper. The device runs on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.

"Rawr XD"

This is pathetic. The idea is to minimize model bloat Samsung, not increase it... 

Samsung tries so hard...

I'm sorry, did i say so hard? I meant too hard.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What is it with copying apple's iPhone design choices?  Gold phones, "plus" models...

Can't beat em? Ape em. Then mock them in ads. 

Watch lawsuits from Apple roll in.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

lol, theres so many phones today you cant make one without it looking like a competitors. its impossible unless you want it to be stupid. its like how any new car resembles some other car. its just going to happen.

the naming overlap is annoying though

edit: i dont even get it. it looks like every other galaxy phone

Instead of making more models, Samsung should work on how to make it work better. It struggles to keep up with even the iPHONE. http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=42683713&source=digest&tagid=-1&tagname=Top%20Stories

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't read the full article. Apparently it didn't mean performance wise, more like supply wise.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

holy shit, the s6 mini is the only phone from samsung i have got interest since the s3 launch, aside from sony z3 compact, is the only phone with a high end cpu that isn't 5" or above in screen size, 720p is a fine res, 2gb ram is good enough and everything else is good, given that the body will be a shrunk s6, no doubt it will look close to the iphone, but aside from that i don't have other complain about it, though i hope it has at least a 2500mah+ battery, also a decent price, though i don't expect the latter given is samsung

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Don't tell me that they're ending the Note line. Fucking idiots. The Note line is amazing and changed the industry as much as the iPhone.

Don't tell me that they're ending the Note line. Fucking idiots. The Note line is amazing and changed the industry as much as the iPhone.

Yeah, since they're the first and only phone IIRC with a stylus built in.

I'm looking forward to the mini version as I find the normal S6 to be too big for me, forgive my tiny hands ^_^

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Now even for person like me that actually hates Samsung and owns/likes Sony phones, I think ill be getting the S6 mini.

Yeah, since they're the first and only phone IIRC with a stylus built in.

I was more talking about the size. It helped people to realize that smartphones have far more potential than just making calls and a few little apps. Also, it is neither the first nor the only.

S6 Plus huh.

Even their naming scheme is now straight from the photocopiers. It will be fun to see the enormous confusion with non-tech savvy people when the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus are announced in September.

Ye ole' train

They're still keeping the Note line of course.

"Rawr XD"

Why can't they make a smaller phone without reduced specs.....

What is it with copying apple's iPhone design choices?  Gold phones, "plus" models...

Samsung did "gold" phones before Apple did, and they have used plus in their products before (remember SAMOLED+?).

It's really annoying when people say "X copied Apple!" when X was actually doing the thing before Apple did.

Samsung did "gold" phones before Apple did, and they have used plus in their products before (remember SAMOLED+?).

It's really annoying when people say "X copied Apple!" when X was actually doing the thing before Apple did.

I guess I was more referring to the popularization of gold phones after the iPhone 5s.  Good point though.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)