Displayport Capture Cards - Anyone know of an affordable one?

SouthpawGamerHD

All mainstream capture devices right now are HDMI, I have several of them and they work great... but now I'm using a monitor that takes DP for G-SYNC and I need to find a Displayport capture card that isn't going to cost upwards of $1000 - $2000(+)

I've tried doing google searches and still come up short, I'd appreciate any help this community can give me in the hunt for a affordable capture solution that can take a DP signal.

Why would you use a capture card when you can record directly from the output using shadowplay?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why would you use a capture card when you can record directly from the output using shadowplay?

I want the same signal to go into a second PC for streaming purposes so that my main PC isn't having to run everything itself.  It really helps having a second streaming rig.

I want the same signal to go into a second PC for streaming purposes so that my main PC isn't having to run everything itself.  It really helps having a second streaming rig.

It doesnt help to have a streaming PC.

Technology is past the point where you need separate machines to do one task.

With software streaming you can get the best quality of image by directly streaming it rather than have it converted, output, received, and reconverted, then streamed like you do when using a second PC

With gigabit ethernet there is 0 need to stream on a separate connection that you game on, streaming will not add latency

Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a second PC you can just buy a decent CPU and game+stream at the same time at maximum quality

A second PC for streaming is literally a waste of money and will look worse than streaming natively.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With software streaming you can get the best quality of image by directly streaming it rather than have it converted, output, received, and reconverted, then streamed like you do when using a second PC

With gigabit ethernet there is 0 need to stream on a separate connection that you game on, streaming will not add latency

Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a second PC you can just buy a decent CPU and game+stream at the same time at maximum quality

A second PC for streaming is literally a waste of money and will look worse than streaming natively.

I don't think you understand.

I'm streaming to Twitch.TV the games I play.  In the past I would use HDMI splitters + an HDMI capture card to get the signal from my main PC into my streaming rig which would then ONLY run X-Split / OBS.  Having the second PC to do all the heavy encoding work allowed me to run X-split / OBS with a MEDIUM compression rate which in turn allowed me to lower my bitrate and or keep it higher for a very clean streaming quality for viewers to watch.  The Second PC makes a night and day difference if you care about quality in a twitch stream.  While my main PC is more than able (i7 etc) I would still rather offload the encoding work to that second PC rather than it sit there and be useless unless I am playing console games.

I don't think you understand.

I'm streaming to Twitch.TV the games I play.  In the past I would use HDMI splitters + an HDMI capture card to get the signal from my main PC into my streaming rig which would then ONLY run X-Split / OBS.  Having the second PC to do all the heavy encoding work allowed me to run X-split / OBS with a MEDIUM compression rate which in turn allowed me to lower my bitrate and or keep it higher for a very clean streaming quality for viewers to watch.  The Second PC makes a night and day difference if you care about quality in a twitch stream.  While my main PC is more than able (i7 etc) I would still rather offload the encoding work to that second PC rather than it sit there and be useless unless I am playing console games.

or you could use your GPU H.264 encoding to get almost no performance loss...

Spoiler

or you could use your GPU H.264 encoding to get almost no performance loss...

The GPU encoding quality is piss poor compasred to CPU encoding.  As these things go quality wise it's CPU H.264 > iGPU (i5 / i7 GPU) > GPU H.264 

Also going that route means you cannot use Shadowplay to record at the same time.

Trust me I've done all this research.  

The GPU encoding quality is piss poor compasred to CPU encoding.  As these things go quality wise it's CPU H.264 > iGPU (i5 / i7 GPU) > GPU H.264 

Also going that route means you cannot use Shadowplay to record at the same time.

Trust me I've done all this research.  

H.264 is a type of encoding

it does not change depending on the device doing it

Spoiler

H.264 is a type of encoding

it does not change depending on the device doing it

Yes, it does.  Each method produces different quality results with using the GPU to encode producing the lowest quality of said results.  

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2015 at 8:16 PM, SouthpawGamerHD said:

Yes, it does.  Each method produces different quality results with using the GPU to encode producing the lowest quality of said results.  

Sorry to bring up this old post.

But for those looking I found this article:

Hope it helps someone, I sure had alot of trouble :/

• 6 years later...
On 6/3/2015 at 7:41 PM, Enderman said:

I made an account just to come on here and say, please don't bother commenting if you clearly have no experience in this topic.

Streaming and playing games on the same computer impacts the level at which you can enjoy the game while streaming. Try enjoying a game such as Destiny 2 on ultra quality at 280hz while streaming on the same computer. You literally can't, your stream will suffer from a large amount of stutters since your resources are being fully utilized by the game. The only way around this on the same rig is to dial back graphic settings or fps limit, which is honestly unacceptable.

The best option anyone has at this point, other than a 2000+$ DP capture card, is using obs or vlc to mirror their game capture to an additional monitor and piping that out via HDMI to another rig used for streaming. Traditional mirroring will limit you to the limits of the capture card, which is why something such as obs or vlc is required.