Asus starts industry's first fully-automated graphics card production

Bouzoo

Asus decided that it's time to remove the human factor out of the graphics card production (except the engineers that are gonna be in charge of the machines, obviously) with the new Auto-Extreme approach. The idea behind it is, as previously mentioned, that it introduces the opportunity of human error which can be removed by, well replacing people with machines.

Tnx to @NumLock21 for the video

Just a couple of days ago, Asus started a new production method for its graphics cards called Auto-Extreme. This is the industry's first fully-automated production process, according to Asus.

The idea behind Auto-Extreme is that when parts of graphics cards are built by hand, it introduces the chance of human error. The new production process fully automates all the steps of PCB manufacturing, which includes rolling the spools and manufacturing the MOSFETs. A handful of these PCB components used to be soldered to the PCB by hand, but now that everything is fully automated, it can be done with much more precision than before.

The process designs, which lead to smooth PCBs and neat component layouts, are optimized further due to the higher precision possible in manufacturing. And, because it is all automated, installation of the components can be accomplished without oxidation and in environments with less dust. The neater manufacturing also introduces the possibility of testing with tighter tolerances for component placement, enabling stricter quality inspection and control.

You can see how clean this looks.

Smooth-PCB_w_600.jpg

But it will also reduce the production costs (could that mean that Asus cards might drop in price in the future)

Such a manufacturing process brings benefits for both Asus and its customers. It reduces Asus' production costs due to a lower failure rate in the quality control phase, and the graphics cards will likely have a longer lifetime, reducing warranty claims.

The first cards that are gonna be build using this method are gonna be the 20th anniversary graphics cards.

GeForce-GTX-980-1.jpg

Is this gonna result in better quality products? Possibly yes. Is it gonna result in increased unemployment? Also probably yes. 

Sources: 1, 2

This post has been promoted to an article

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So many Chinese workers out of work. :P

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Leaves more available for gold farming.......if you into wasting money on fake monies. -_- 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Although I applaud the technology, it's scary.

My first thought when reading this was unemployment, which enough countries struggle with already.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

My first thought when reading this was unexmployment, which enough countries struggle with already.

yeah, although its bound to happen in those countries. its surprising china still has as many factory's as it does.

just have to hope that these countries are investing in there education system so the populace doesn't have to rely on low skilled jobs

... will happen everywhere. We shouldnt be surprised

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

RIP workers.

Skynet taking over.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Gigabyte needs this so they don't release anymore GTX 970 G1's with defects-blasted coil whine and unstable boosting.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So this means Asus is going to pass on the savings, right? Without those pesky employee wages, Asus is saving a ton on production costs, they could easily drop the price of their GPUs by about $50 each. This is such a great thing, because Asus totally wouldn't use this as an excuse to charge us more for the same products that they are paying less to manufacture, right? Asus totally wouldn't try to cover up simultaneously screwing over hundreds of workers and their entire consumer base with a publicity stunt, right? That would just be crazy talk. I'm sure glad Asus is our friend and not trying to fish more money out of my wallet!  :unsure:

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

So this means Asus is going to pass on the savings, right? Without those pesky employee wages, Asus is saving a ton on production costs, they could easily drop the price of their GPUs by about $50 each. This is such a great thing, because Asus totally wouldn't use this as an excuse to charge us more for the same products that they are paying less to manufacture, right? Asus totally wouldn't try to cover up simultaneously screwing over hundreds of workers and their entire consumer base with a publicity stunt, right? That would just be crazy talk. I'm sure glad Asus is our friend and not trying to fish more money out of my wallet!  :unsure:

I lost my 'he''s right you know' meme.

PMSL

My first thought when reading this was unemployment, which enough countries struggle with already.

There are going to be a LOT of jobs missing very soon. Mcdonalds is opening a fully automated restaurant. I knew this was going to happen when fast food workers demanded a raise in minimum wage to 15 dollars. They don't do work that warrants 15 dollars an hour. That's just silly. Soon there will be a LOT of jobs that will disappear and what happens to those workers? Better start learning how to repair robots. 

The future is grim for all of us,unless you are smart wizard of tech and such we are going to die of hunger no jobs.

The future is grim for all of us,unless you are smart wizard of tech and such we are going to die of hunger no jobs.

Even if you are a tech wizard, none of the consumers will have any money to buy your products, and will spend most of their day in hunger riots.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ooh, this is quite nice! Would like to see production :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

this has become the natural selection for humans to keep our population in check. Normally a population can only grow as large as there is enough food to feed them. So there can only be as many lions as there are zebra to feed them. For humanity thats not really a factor, so our natural selection has become the jobs available in order to make money to buy the food. Its sad to see people starve to death yes, but its not something that you can change really.

By limiting jobs they are limiting the growth of humanity which in the long run is a very good thing unless you would like your descendants to live in a world like what is depicted in Elysium. I'm sure that will happen eventually anyway, but overpopulation of earth is not a good thing, neither is encouraging that growth.

Current parts for new build. Case: CM Haf X full tower | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme | Storage: WD 1TB HDD & Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | Display: AOC G2460PQU | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma

Still need CPU, RAM, and GPU

Leaves more available for gold farming.......if you into wasting money on fake monies. -_-

You may laugh but I used to buy in game items for IRL money, only because I knew I could enjoy them and they would continue to increase in price and because of that I could sell them a year later for more money :). I was really investing hah.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Asus gave me reason to not buy their products.  Way to go!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

yeah, although its bound to happen in those countries. its surprising china still has as many factory's as it does.

just have to hope that these countries are investing in there education system so the populace doesn't have to rely on low skilled jobs

Better be employed elsewhere than die from n-hexane and benzene because China has mediocre safety regulations.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Gigabyte needs this so they don't release anymore GTX 970 G1's with defects-blasted coil whine and unstable boosting.

Reminds me of how people say to stay away from the ACX coolers on 970s and they don't realize the 2.0 version is here to fix that extra heatpipe doing nothing and the coil whine problem... Even though with that heatpipe hitting the core now it's only like a 1C difference. Must say my FTW+ doesn't have coil whine, but loud af after 55% fan speed. And my friends, either SSC or SC, ACX 2.0 cooler does just fine as well without coil whine.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Reminds me of how people say to stay away from the ACX coolers on 970s and they don't realize the 2.0 version is here to fix that extra heatpipe doing nothing and the coil whine problem... Even though with that heatpipe hitting the core now it's only like a 1C difference. Must say my FTW+ doesn't have coil whine, but loud af after 55% fan speed. And my friends, either SSC or SC, ACX 2.0 cooler does just fine as well without coil whine.

I've got what appears to be one of the few GTX 970 G1 Gaming that requires a -50MHz underclock to actual run at factory speeds, and +50mv on the core to stop the display driver from crashing.

PMSL

You may laugh but I used to buy in game items for IRL money, only because I knew I could enjoy them and they would continue to increase in price and because of that I could sell them a year later for more money :). I was really investing hah.

Oh I wasn't making fun (I bought some as well, not much tho like $50) I was referring to those that just waste away money for that ultimate edge of having everything just to do it because they have money to throw around just so they can. Spoilt brats and such. What you did is not what I would do but you got something to show for it.  ;)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

GTX 980 20th is later to the game than the 980 KPE.

That's bad. They probably mean the GTX 980Ti 20th.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Asus gave me reason to not buy their products.  Way to go!

why? there will just be openings for other types of jobs to fill instead. Such as those who will maintain these facilities. Not really as much as a drop in employment one may think.

Same thing as when Ford  started to automate some of its processes, not many lost their jobs just retrained to maintain the equipment used to manufacture the parts and there was win win as parts became more consistent and injuries decreased. Some salaries actually increased. Those that actually lost their jobs where those that didn't want to retrain or moved on. I am sure there was some downsizing but not as much as people made it out to be.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

why? there will just be openings for other types of jobs to fill instead. Such as those who will maintain these facilities. Not really as much as a drop in employment one may think.

Same thing as when Ford  started to automate some of its processes, not many lost their jobs just retrained to maintain the equipment used to manufacture the parts and there was win win as parts became more consistent and injuries decreased. Some salaries actually increased. Those that actually lost their jobs where those that didn't want to retrain or moved on. I am sure there was some downsizing but not as much as people made it out to be.

Nice story.  There is a reason why the Motor City is hardly the Motor City anymore.  Also companies are all about profit.  More and more they are offering people dead end jobs and eliminating jobs.  Seriously if I want to boycott a company that I see is killing jobs I can.  Also when there is not a need to automate and they do so and it kills jobs I can hate on that.  Die commerce die.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S