Windows 8 DVD install... Without an optical drive...

KoolKaboom
Go to solution Solved by Kuzma,

I don't want to re-buy a $120 product...

If you have any computer with a disk drive rip it into an ISO, then put it on a thumb drive and install it from there

So, I messed up and ordered the DVD version of windows 8 for my new build, and just realized it. The problem is that I did not purchase an optical drive. I was wondering if there is any way to install windows 8 on a different system and then switch it over. Here's what I mean.

So my laptop has an optical drive, would it be possible to replace its hard drive with the new one and use that to boot win8, then switch the hard drive to the new pc? Or would I have to spend the extra 20 or so dollars on an optical drive?

Any feedback is appreciated. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section (troubleshooting).

Are you willing to run a VM For a bit?

Never mind. Do what CwGoh said.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You should be able to put the installer on a flash drive or "legally" download it from the internet and use that as you already have a licence for it. 

So, I messed up and ordered the DVD version of windows 8 for my new build, and just realized it. The problem is that I did not purchase an optical drive. I was wondering if there is any way to install windows 8 on a different system and then switch it over. Here's what I mean.

So my laptop has an optical drive, would it be possible to replace its hard drive with the new one and use that to boot win8, then switch the hard drive to the new pc? Or would I have to spend the extra 20 or so dollars on an optical drive?

Any feedback is appreciated. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section (troubleshooting).

Just go to a local computer store or for example staples or future shop (i`m canadian) and get a usb one or if they have a sata one, get that

You can download the ISO and burn it onto a USB thumbdrive http://www.soft-zilla.com/2013/01/windows-8-iso-download.html

From what I read (have not downloaded it yet), this is a 90 day trial of windows 8 RTM. Do you know if there will be a way to transfer/convert this into a full version by using a code that presumably comes with the DVD version I bought?

You should be able to put the installer on a flash drive or "legally" download it from the internet and use that as you already have a licence for it. 

I don't know if downloading the installer will work, but I will try to if I can't find any better options. Also I prefer to stay away from the "legal" side of the internet, but saying that I have already bought the product, this is not a terrible choice, and probably will be my very last resort.

From what I read (have not downloaded it yet), this is a 90 day trial of windows 8 RTM. Do you know if there will be a way to transfer/convert this into a full version by using a code that presumably comes with the DVD version I bought?

If you can get Windows 8 and install it somehow as long as you activate it with a legal key it is 100% legit.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Just go to a local computer store or for example staples or future shop (i`m canadian) and get a usb one or if they have a sata one, get that

If you have any computer with a disk drive rip it into an ISO, then put it on a thumb drive and install it from there

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If you can get Windows 8 and install it somehow as long as you activate it with a legal key it is 100% legit.

Okay, I'm assuming that a download is not too hard to find on the internet, and the box will have a legal code (I hope). Thanks!

The 90 day trial should activate and be a full copy...

I installed windows 8 using a usb drive just a week ago or so...

Thanks to everyone who replied for the good answers and quick responses!