Steam Refunds

Bleedman0xx

Kotaku raises a concern

"Games that have opted not to use Steam’s DRM, which of course is usually perceived as a customer-friendly decision, can now be purchased, copied over into a different directory, and then a refund requested. With the new no-quibble policy, they’ll get their money back, and have a working copy of the game remaining on their hard drive. It is, essentially, the same shady antics that were possible when brick-n-shelving game stores would provide refunds on DRM-free boxed PC games. It was, in fact, a huge reason why boxed PC games had DRM.”

http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-refunds-could-cause-some-big-problems-1708523970

Quite a few good points. I doubt Valve haven't thought of all that given the fact that they reserved the right to ban users from the refund process. And in the case of returning DRM-free games, Valve gave devs the ability to disable refunds, I believe.

And just to stroke my ego, my name got mentioned in the WAN show. Yayy~

Quite a few good points. I doubt Valve haven't thought of all that given the fact that they reserved the right to ban users from the refund process. And in the case of returning DRM-free games, Valve gave devs the ability to disable refunds, I believe.

Source on that? If so, that's a pretty serious drawback to the refund program. If anything, I feel like Valve could tell devs that the only protection against this user dishonesty is to use Steam's DRM. But if Steam's DRM - which is generally fine - is the cost of a pretty fair refund policy such as this, then I'm fine with it.

Anyway, to address Kotaku's original point, GoG has had a DRM-free refund policy without issue. At least I assume it's been without issue, I haven't heard of any problems... Granted, Valve's a much bigger player, and so problems will become more readily apparent.  

• 2 weeks later...

BTW they take up to like 7 days to refund your money back

E1Eajkl.png

Yup. Valve said as much when they announced this on day one. All you had to do was read.

I bought planet explorers and HATED it. Within 20 minutes I refunded the game. It's going to take 5-7 days to get a refund... wat... I actually ended up buying the game again because my friends like it and I'm now hosting a server for them but I now had to pay for the game twice because the refund takes a year to process. The payment was instant, the refund should be instant. 

just to let you know, steam said no for GTA V refund there reason was i played more than 2 hours, what a shame

Not neccessarily, I played the game for 2 hours 38 minutes and managed to get a refund, so it's definitely not a hard line but rather a guideline. I suppose it also has to do with why you're refunding it. I struggled to get it to run on my laptop (fools mission, but I had high hopes) and the cpu wouldn't render the roads and buildings quick enough while I was driving. So I gave up, thought I wouldn't get a refund because 2h limit, but tried anyway. Just got the money back today, took 4 days, Friday until Tuesday.

I bought planet explorers and HATED it. Within 20 minutes I refunded the game. It's going to take 5-7 days to get a refund... wat... I actually ended up buying the game again because my friends like it and I'm now hosting a server for them but I now had to pay for the game twice because the refund takes a year to process. The payment was instant, the refund should be instant. 

Ya I had to wait like a month to get refunded on a laptop I returned...getting refunds instantly isnt how things work when you buy things online.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Ya I had to wait like a month to get refunded on a laptop I returned...getting refunds instantly isnt how things work when you buy things online.

I mean I get that, you have to mail a physical object back to them. Electronic purchases on digital goods should be instant though. 

I mean I get that, you have to mail a physical object back to them. Electronic purchases on digital goods should be instant though. 

it had nothing to do with them getting the product back I was still waiting for weeks past when they got it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit