Home network upgrade

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by skywake,

Apparently none of your recommended access points are available at my local store. This is their site, but it's in Estonian. http://arvutitark.ee/

Wow, pretty limited selection there. Well your best options are probably:

73€ - ASUS RP-N53 (N600)

86€ - Netgear WN3500RP (N600)

58€  - TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT (N300 + AV500 powerline combo)

They're all wallplug options which seriously limits the placement. Hard to put one of them high up which would be ideal. The powerline combo? Well it's the same deal and it's only N300 and even though you said Powerline is limiting? It's cheaper than the other two and has it built in.

Hello.

So, I have a 100/100 fibre connection, but I cannot get these speeds. This is definitely due to the bad network configuration. Right now my PC has to connect by WiFi, as I cannot run ethernet to my room. And the router only supports 54 Mbps Wireless G. So, I have to upgrade the network, but I'm not sure how. I can only use ISP-proviced routers, as they use IPTV, which is not easy to set up. My ISP's offer is an Inteno DG301, which supports 2.4 GHz 144 Mbps N. This costs 110 euros. My other option would be an Ubiquity UniFI access point for 67 euros, but I'm not sure how that will perform when connected to 100 Mbit ethernet.  So, access point, router, or something else?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Ubiquity isn't a bad idea for wireless clients. Just be aware 100 percent advertised speed occurs on everything

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I don't know what the prices are in your area or what your budget is. But based on what sort of stuff you're talking about here I wouldn't recommend either option. If you want 100Mbps solid the cheapest 2.4Ghz only Ubiquity AP won't give you that. You'll get something around 70Mbps from it which is decent but isn't what you're after. Those things are great if you want to buy a few and have them cover a whole building but unless you get the higher end ones you won't get 100Mbps. The thing your ISP is offering will perform worse than that again, expect something around 30Mbps from that.

What I'd suggest is that for your budget you go and get an AC1200 access point. A few options:

- Netgear WAC120

- DLink 1650

- DLink 1665

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I don't know what the prices are in your area or what your budget is. But based on what sort of stuff you're talking about here I wouldn't recommend either option. If you want 100Mbps solid the cheapest 2.4Ghz only Ubiquity AP won't give you that. You'll get something around 70Mbps from it which is decent but isn't what you're after. Those things are great if you want to buy a few and have them cover a whole building but unless you get the higher end ones you won't get 100Mbps. The thing your ISP is offering will perform worse than that again, expect something around 30Mbps from that.

What I'd suggest is that for your budget you go and get an AC1200 access point. A few options:

- Netgear WAC120

- DLink 1650

- DLink 1665

He would also need to back it up with a decent wireless client, so it's worth knowing what's on that end before you start recommending expensive hardware ;)

Are you sure you can't run a cable to your room? There's "haven't bothered trying properly" and "literally can't".

- Netgear WAC120

- DLink 1650

- DLink 1665

70 Mbps is good enough, considering that there will be around 7 clients. And I actually got to test the ISP's offer, which, indeed, gave me 30 Mbps, so I trust you about those speeds. My budget is 110 euros.

He would also need to back it up with a decent wireless client, so it's worth knowing what's on that end before you start recommending expensive hardware ;)

Are you sure you can't run a cable to your room? There's "haven't bothered trying properly" and "literally can't".

My wireless card is a TP-Link WN781ND, which is a PCIe x1 2.4 GHz N150 card. And I can't run an ethernet cable because my dad won't let me. Doesn't want my 2-year old sister to chew through it.

You could try Ethernet over power lines... these will be able to give you the  100mb you are looking for. For wireless the biggest thing to remember is wifi is half duplex. It can send or it can receive, not both. With a wireless N 150 client you will be stuck at roughly 70mb. 

You could try Ethernet over power lines... these will be able to give you the  100mb you are looking for. For wireless the biggest thing to remember is wifi is half duplex. It can send or it can receive, not both. With a wireless N 150 client you will be stuck at roughly 70mb. 

Can't do powerline, this place has very few outlets, which all have extensions cords plugged into them. I've heard powerline does not work over that.

I am unsure about European Standards... Here in the US I have used them over extension cords up to about 50 feet. Using the TP-Link 500mbps I have transferred over 350Mbps.

I am unsure about European Standards... Here in the US I have used them over extension cords up to about 50 feet. Using the TP-Link 500mbps I have transferred over 350Mbps.

Yeah, but it would still be difficult to run. A wireless upgrade would probably be a better idea.

Can't do powerline, this place has very few outlets, which all have extensions cords plugged into them. I've heard powerline does not work over that.

You could use something like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY

If you can get them with your local plug they will allow you to plug the extension cord into them, thereby retaining the socket

In the UK I've struggled to get them to work on even short extension cords. The connection between the two just drops off. And surge protected cords just won't work

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

You could use something like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY

If you can get them with your local plug they will allow you to plug the extension cord into them, thereby retaining the socket

In the UK I've struggled to get them to work on even short extension cords. The connection between the two just drops off. And surge protected cords just won't work

Correct Surge Protection would prevent it from working. Again being unfamiliar with Europe that may be a difference, but as you stated if you can use them before an extension cord it may be a solution. 

If Wifi is your only option then maybe an upgrade to your Client would also be useful. If you used something with 2.4 and 5ghz you will be able to improve throughput. Also if both support MIMO it may also help you out. 

Good Luck!

Correct Surge Protection would prevent it from working. Again being unfamiliar with Europe that may be a difference, but as you stated if you can use them before an extension cord it may be a solution. 

If Wifi is your only option then maybe an upgrade to your Client would also be useful. If you used something with 2.4 and 5ghz you will be able to improve throughput. Also if both support MIMO it may also help you out. 

Good Luck!

I can't use them before the extension. So, how would I upgrade wireless? Found an N300 card with 5 GHz for 27 euros (TP-Link WDN3800). Also, what AP should I get then?

Something like this should work... the main thing is find an access point that supports dual band and mimo if possible. You could also use a router and just turn off DHCP and not use the WAN port. 

Hm, that AP isn't available in my country, but I guess I can just take a TP-Link Archer C5 and turn that into an AP with DD-WRT.

70 Mbps is good enough, considering that there will be around 7 clients. And I actually got to test the ISP's offer, which, indeed, gave me 30 Mbps, so I trust you about those speeds. My budget is 110 euros.

My wireless card is a TP-Link WN781ND, which is a PCIe x1 2.4 GHz N150 card. And I can't run an ethernet cable because my dad won't let me. Doesn't want my 2-year old sister to chew through it.

Well then I still wouldn't recommend the Ubiquity one because the main advantage of Enterprise grade wireless is the quick hand-off between access points. Which isn't going to be much help at all if you're only running one. Also it's better to aim for a little bit higher spec than you think you need for wireless, dual band I'd argue is pretty much essential. The DLink 1650 I suggested early is one I have and it should be within your budget.

.... although it won't be that much use for you with that wireless NIC. Your machine is going to be stuck on around 30Mbps regardless of what you get. But it'll improve the performance for all of the other devices. If you can get that AP and squeeze in maybe an N300 or N600 USB dongle? That should do the trick.

Well then I still wouldn't recommend the Ubiquity one because the main advantage of Enterprise grade wireless is the quick hand-off between access points. Which isn't going to be much help at all if you're only running one. Also it's better to aim for a little bit higher spec than you think you need for wireless, dual band I'd argue is pretty much essential. The DLink 1650 I suggested early is one I have and it should be within your budget.

.... although it won't be that much use for you with that wireless NIC. Your machine is going to be stuck on around 30Mbps regardless of what you get. But it'll improve the performance for all of the other devices. If you can get that AP and squeeze in maybe an N300 or N600 USB dongle? That should do the trick.

Apparently none of your recommended access points are available at my local store. This is their site, but it's in Estonian. http://arvutitark.ee/

And I'm going to upgrade my wireless NIC anyway. Found a good PCIe card. TP-Link WD3800. which is N600 and dual-band.

73€ - ASUS RP-N53 (N600)

They're all wallplug options which seriously limits the placement. Hard to put one of them high up which would be ideal. The powerline combo? Well it's the same deal and it's only N300 and even though you said Powerline is limiting? It's cheaper than the other two and has it built in.

73€ - ASUS RP-N53 (N600)

Thanks, I'll have a look at these. Will probably get the Netgear. It can be wallplug, I won't be mounting it away from one.