Buy an SSD now or wait till windows 10?

Tazman192

Hi.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was originally planning on waiting for windows 10 to be released (I hate installing all my programs etc and if I buy one now I would have to do it twice in ~2 months.)

The reason I'm a bit wary now is because I'm not sure whether the free upgrade would allow it to be as simple as getting a .iso of windows 10, and using my windows 8.1 activation key to upgrade to windows 10. I never like updating and always prefer clean installs (OCD...). I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that even if I do wait to get an SSD after windows 10 is released, I would have to install windows 8.1 first and then upgrade via windows updates, rather than installing windows 10 directly.

If the latter is the case, I think I'd be better off buying an SSD now, and if the former is the case then I could wait to get an SSD, reformat my hard drive, and download windows 10 directly.

What do you guys think?

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

It seems to me that the Samsung 850 EVO goes on sale really often right now, so i see no reason to wait.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

You could just buy the SSD, not use it until windows 10 comes out, when it does come out, install everything on the SSD including windows 10, and then boom. No need to do two installs :P

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Hi.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was originally planning on waiting for windows 10 to be released (I hate installing all my programs etc and if I buy one now I would have to do it twice in ~2 months.)

The reason I'm a bit wary now is because I'm not sure whether the free upgrade would allow it to be as simple as getting a .iso of windows 10, and using my windows 8.1 activation key to upgrade to windows 10. I never like updating and always prefer clean installs (OCD...). I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that even if I do wait to get an SSD after windows 10 is released, I would have to install windows 8.1 first and then upgrade via windows updates, rather than installing windows 10 directly.

If the latter is the case, I think I'd be better off buying an SSD now, and if the former is the case then I could wait to get an SSD, reformat my hard drive, and download windows 10 directly.

What do you guys think?

Go for the samsung 850 evo now, I picked the 250GB model up a few days ago, one of the best purchases I've made!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It seems to me that the Samsung 850 EVO goes on sale really often right now, so i see no reason to wait.

Here in UK the price is pretty static.

You could just buy the SSD, not use it until windows 10 comes out, when it does come out, install everything on the SSD including windows 10, and then boom. No need to do two installs :P

That's like extreme punishment... An SSD waiting in the cupboard to be used? No thanks :P

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

That's like extreme punishment... An SSD waiting in the cupboard to be used? No thanks :P

I'm sure you could do it! hahahaha

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Go for the samsung 850 evo now, I picked the 250GB model up a few days ago, one of the best purchases I've made!

Is the 250gb more than enough for OS, browser, steam and a few other programs/games?

On newegg it keeps going on sale, just have it ship overseas.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

BUY IT! 

shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-1920x1200

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Is the 250gb more than enough for OS, browser, steam and a few other programs/games?

Yes.

I've got windows, most of my programs, steam, skyrim, and world of tanks on there, still plenty of room left. (Half the SSD is still free for me :P though I've also got a 750gb hdd and 500gb hdd for backups, other games, other programs, recordings, etc..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

BUY IT! 

shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-1920x1200

You have no clue how tempted I am.

Yes.

I've got windows, most of my programs, steam, skyrim, and world of tanks on there, still plenty of room left.

Okay, should be more than enough for me too.

Does anybody know if having a SSD as my primary storage will reduce the noise on my current HDD? It's pretty noisy as if its always writing/reading. I assume if I make this just a storage drive it'll only write/read when I access any files on the HDD, thus reducing noise?

Does anybody know if it'll reduce the noise on my current HDD? It's pretty noisy as if its always writing/reading. I assume if I make this just a storage drive it'll only write/read when I access any files on the HDD, thus reducing noise?

It could reduce the noise by a bit if its from the hdd reading/writing a lot.

I had a 1TB HDD in my rig that vibrated like hell, took it out to replace it with my ssd first chance I had, now my rig is pretty much silent at idle :D

Does anybody know if having a SSD as my primary storage will reduce the noise on my current HDD? It's pretty noisy as if its always writing/reading. I assume if I make this just a storage drive it'll only write/read when I access any files on the HDD, thus reducing noise?

There is an option somewhere to shut up HDDs when they are not in use, but never done it myself, try google ':D

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

It could reduce the noise by a bit if its from the hdd reading/writing a lot.

I had a 1TB HDD in my rig that vibrated like hell, took it out to replace it with my ssd first chance I had, now my rig is pretty much silent at idle :D

I would still need it as I need the storage space for games etc.

I really don't know why it makes so much noise. Friends with the same HDD as me have much quieter rigs (it's definitely my HDD, spent few days working it out). No bad sectors so health of the HDD is fine. Guess it'll remain a mystery.

Drawback is you're limited on time for RMA. So as it sits in your closet waiting to be used it could potentially be a bad unit. When it comes time to use it you'll have no choice but to file under warranty which will take you probably a couple of months until you get a new one.  ^_^ Rule of thumb is to always test electronics as soon as you get them.

What I plan to do on my laptop (without much research, I admit) is reinstall Windows 7 (reset to factory default, that is) -> update the clean Factory Win7 to Windows 10 -> clone the now fresh-as-can-be drive with Win10 to SSD -> install SSD in laptop instead of old HDD.

If anyone can spot faults in my plan, please let me know. I haven't done this before.  ;)

Use migration tools to move your current installation over to the SSD, then when 10 is released, do a proper format and install.

Are you worried about doing 2 fresh installs on an SSD? I'm not really sure why you're asking this.