Should I return my Titan X and wait for the 980 TI?

rabidburn
Go to solution Solved by rabidburn,

It has been confirmed - the Reference 980Ti has the same PCB as the Titan X - there are just no memory chips,on the reverse side of the PCB to make the drop from 12 to 6 Gb VRAM.

I'll look into a link in a minute

TitanX on the bottom

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/GTX-Titan-X-vs-GTX-780-Ti.jpg

980 Ti

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-TI_PCB.jpg

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but it might be wise to wait until officially labeled waterblocks become available.

it will fit, the GTX 980 Ti is physically exactly the same as the TITAN X except the blank memory chips on the back of the card (where the water block doesn't cover).

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/fc-geforce/geforce-gtx-9x0-series/ek-fc-titan-x-acetal-nickel.html

Great, thanks guys! Everyone on this forum is incredibly helpful!

RabidBurn

Hey guys,

I literally ordered my Titan X about 20 minutes before I heard about the 980 TI from Linus' video, so I'd like your opinion. My Titan X is on back order, so I have the opportunity to cancel the order. I'd like to water cool whatever card I get. Do you think I should cancel the order on my Titan X and wait for the 980 TI to be in stock, along with the corresponding full cover water block? Or should I just stick with my purchase?

Any estimates on how long it will take to get a full cover water block for the 980 TI? Will it be a few weeks, or more along the lines of months?

Thanks guys!

RabidBurn

TS3 I frequent: ts.absgaming.net feel free to join!

It would probably be a while before a full block comes out for the new card, but since the new card follow a similar form factor to older cards, then it may not be too long of a wait. 

If you're into saving money, then cancel the order and get the 980 Ti and save some bucks.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

While the Titan X is faster, it's not $350 faster. If you're content and willing to pay the premium to have the best currently available, then don't cancel your order. 

I've had my Titan X for over a month, so I don't regret buying it because no single gpu card could touch it. Would I buy one today? It's not a clear no, but it's unlikely.  

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Buyers remorse kicking in?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

It would probably be a while before a full block comes out for the new card, but since the new card follow a similar form factor to older cards, then it may not be too long of a wait. 

If you're into saving money, then cancel the order and get the 980 Ti and save some bucks.

at least the 980 ti and titan x use the same pcb layout so their blocks will be the same 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

at least the 980 ti and titan x use the same pcb layout so their blocks will be the same 

Yup, that too.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Honestly I think the extra Vram is worth it. It allows it to be usable for a lot longer, granted 6GB is good enough for the next couple years. Though if you're doing any CUDA intensive or Vram intensive stuff the Titan X hands down is superior to the 980 Ti, but for most cases I guess the 980 Ti is sufficient.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

TITAN X water blocks will be compatible with the 980 Ti. They use the same PCB.

Yes, you should cancel the TITAN X order and get the 980 Ti. There's really no reason to get a TITAN X.

While the Titan X is faster, it's not $350 faster. If you're content and willing to pay the premium to have the best currently available, then don't cancel your order. 

I've had my Titan X for over a month, so I don't regret buying it because no single gpu card could touch it. Would I buy one today? It's not a clear no, but it's unlikely.  

Okay, this is pretty much what I was thinking. Anyone have any kind of idea just WHEN I'll actually be able to buy one? Newegg and nVidia are out of stock, and NCIX doesn't even show it...

RabidBurn

EVGA has the reference card in stock RIGHT NOW but that will be gone quick. I signed up for their auto notify for their ACX card so that's how I know.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Okay, this is pretty much what I was thinking. Anyone have any kind of idea just WHEN I'll actually be able to buy one? Newegg and nVidia are out of stock, and NCIX doesn't even show it...

RabidBurn

my evga 980ti acx2.0+ is on backorder for a month or two so idk 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

A single 980ti gives performace equal to a titan X,so if u have the cash to get a titan throw in 200$ more and sli 980ti and CRUSH EVERY FREAKING GAME AT 4K,6gb is plent of vram to last u a while

RabidBurn

Might be a couple weeks.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Fuck yes cancel it.

Why throw money away?

Unless $350 +tax difference isn't worth a couple of weeks waiting time at most to get a 980Ti.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I ended up cancelling my Titan X and getting the 980 TI instead.

Is it for sure that the 980 TI will use the Titan X water block?

RabidBurn

Bump, can anyone else confirm that the 980 TI will use the same water blocks as the Titan X does? I don't want to go out and waste money...

RabidBurn

It has been confirmed - the Reference 980Ti has the same PCB as the Titan X - there are just no memory chips,on the reverse side of the PCB to make the drop from 12 to 6 Gb VRAM.

RabidBurn

TitanX on the bottom

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/GTX-Titan-X-vs-GTX-780-Ti.jpg

980 Ti

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-TI_PCB.jpg

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but it might be wise to wait until officially labeled waterblocks become available.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

RabidBurn

it will fit, the GTX 980 Ti is physically exactly the same as the TITAN X except the blank memory chips on the back of the card (where the water block doesn't cover).

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/fc-geforce/geforce-gtx-9x0-series/ek-fc-titan-x-acetal-nickel.html

"EK-FC Titan X is a high performance full-cover water block for nVidia reference (NVA-PG600) design GeForce GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti series graphics cards."

TitanX on the bottom

980 Ti

Great, thanks guys! Everyone on this forum is incredibly helpful!

RabidBurn