Time for linux

Well now that windows 10 is going to be forced upon windows users i decided its time to switch to linux. I want to be able to use autocad on linux, I already know that blender will work but i have to use autocad for school. All the games that i play work on linux so i know that they will work. the system im putting it on will be running a xeon 1230 V3 and a radeon r9 270(possibly a 980 in the future). I have already used ubuntu before and wasnt a big fan. Iv been thinking rasbian or mint any sugestions are apreciated.

Well now that windows 10 is going to be forced upon windows users i decided its time to switch to linux. I want to be able to use autocad on linux, I already know that blender will work but i have to use autocad for school. All the games that i play work on linux so i know that they will work. the system im putting it on will be running a xeon 1230 V3 and a radeon r9 270(possibly a 980 in the future). I have already used ubuntu before and wasnt a big fan. Iv been thinking rasbian or mint any sugestions are apreciated.

I tried switching to Linux once but ended up frustrated...

There's always a way...

I have mint with cinnamon and absolutely love it over Ubuntu, not that Ubuntu isn't excellent as well though. I mean, i dont think you have to upgrade forcefully, the pop-up is kinda like a way for microsoft to see just how much upgrades are going to happen once it goes live...

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

It won't be forced on users, you can stay with your current windows OS, and not upgrade to Windows 10. Saying it will be forced on all windows users is being ignorant of the fact that it will not force an update to Windows 10. Just stick with windows?

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

sure linux is cool and all , but from what ive tried i cant get it to support more than 3 monitors :(((

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Definitely don't run Raspbian on a desktop PC. Raspbian is a flavour of Debian optimized for the Raspberry Pi. For a first time user I would suggest Mint with Cinnamon any day.

Mint is a great, I used to use that on an old desktop for a year or so. Ubuntu is the most popular by far, but as you said you weren't a big fan. I use Elementary OS on my laptop occasionally and I love it. It's based on Ubuntu, but is a nice, easy to use fresh take on the traditional Ubuntu gui.

Raspbian is meant for the Raspberry Pi, which if I'm not mistaken means it is extremely thinned out, and is not exactly optimal for a full blown desktop machine.

My advice is to get a flash drive and download a couple iso's of different distros and play with them each for a day or two and find out which one works the best for you.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

autocad will NOT work

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Mint with Cinnamon is great and an easy entry into the world of Linux. Muscle memory from Windows 7 just works, which makes switching a lot easier.

Mint is nice, I have it dual-booted with Win8.1 on my laptop. I try to use it as much as I can. I found the best way to learn Linux is to basically almost force yourself to use it, because let's be honest, if you're happy with your current OS, you aren't going to enjoy Linux.

Ubuntu isn't my cup of tea. I prefer Mint much more. A friend of mine uses Manjaro, which is based on Arch and he loves it.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

@gadgetguy99 Also, your main issue here is that autocad will not work. And you need to understand that Windows 10 Won't forcefully download to your computer and update itself, it just won't happen. Even if it did, your programs would be fine because Windows 10 is backwards compatible with all programs, and even has support for programs that need Windows XP to run. 

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

You don't have to upgrade to Windows 10 if you do not want to. It is all optional. They would never get away with doing something like that.

As for which, I would say get Linux Mint if Ubuntu wasn't your cup of tea and you really don't want to use Windows anymore.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

sure linux is cool and all , but from what ive tried i cant get it to support more than 3 monitors :(((

I've run six monitors. It's not that hard--though why anyone needs more than three monitors is beyond me.

As for you, OP: Make sure whatever desktop env. you use supports the nVidia/ATI proprietary drivers for your graphics card before you pick one. For example, GNOME 3 doesn't support ATI proprietary drivers, but the open source ones work great. :)

As for an OS--you can't go wrong with pure Debian, or CentOS, or Arch.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Install Gentoo, it's great learning experience, sure it may take up to 9hours but you learn a lot.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

it was probably something wierd with ubuntu or something , i never played aroud with it too much.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

SNIP

Windows 10 is not being forced, its 100% optional also Autocad will not work and not all games will work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii