More reasons to get a desktop?

Mao_Zedong

I want to build a desktop, but my dad doesn't think its worth it. I have some reasons, but I want more so I can make a better argument. He is a techie as well, so keep that in mind. He really cares about school and my programming ability/computer knowledge, so anything related to those would be nice.

Isn't fast enough for games or anime
Could give more space for programs, or other OSs
would give reason to sit at desk
something interesting to do for a day
educational value- installing os, setting up bios, overclocking, ect.

NOTE: This is my money that I want to spend, I'm not being ridiculous. Also stop focusing on the anime part so much, that was only a small part and would be a sidenote. I also already have a laptop, but it is a decently slow lenovo yoga 11s.

you forgot that its cheaper, like way cheaper

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

your lenovo cant handle anime?

all your reasons kind of suck tbh. all of those you can do on a laptop really. good luck though

the reasons are for upgrading your desktop or not getting a laptop?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Isn't fast enough for anime?  Wot

Wait ninja'd

all your reasons kind of suck tbh. all of those you can do on a laptop really. good luck though

this

Also how is installing an OS, setting up BIOS, OCing... "educational"

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

you forgot that its cheaper, like way cheaper

I already have a laptop, so this doesn't really apply.

Its because I like kissanime.com, which is really bad with resource management.

the reasons are for upgrading your desktop or not getting a laptop?

My desktop died and my laptop isn't very fast.

Wait ninja'd

this

Its because I like kissanime.com, which is really bad with resource management. It is amazing besides that and has HD dubs, but its pretty slow and even has quite a few memory leaks.

Wait ninja'd

this

Also how is installing an OS, setting up BIOS, OCing... "educational"

exactly. the only real reason for a desktop over a laptop is cost, and thats literally it nowadays. mate if your parents already got you a new laptop, theres no reason for them to buy you a new desktop also.

now, if you have your own money, and they are telling you cant, thats another story. 

Its because I like kissanime.com, which is really bad with resource management. It is amazing besides that and has HD dubs, but its pretty slow and even has quite a few memory leaks.

go buy your anime instead or pirating it or whatever on some sketchy website >.>

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

Performance, comfort, productivity.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

On a desktop, storage is much cheaper. You could make a disk array to ensure you won't loose your important projects.

Much cheaper to upgrade- if you make a good base, like an i5 or i7, all you'll need to upgrade is your GPU if you are feeling the squeeze for better gaming. 100$ or whatever you want to spend to have a good gaming PC again. I'm on a sandy i7 myself, yet I have a 970. Works just fine since I'm waiting a bit to upgrade my platform

If your laptop isn't SSD based, 1 drop and you could loose everything if you don't make backups. 

Desktop or not, there's a great case to be made to get a couple of good mounted screens and a good keyboard and mouse. Take it from me, I used to workj on laptops daily. The only reason I don't now is because my desktop is portable and my work laptop was killed, haven't bought a new one yet. Anyway typing on a laptop all day is a quick way to get neck and wrist problems. I always make a little docking station at home for my laptops for this reason. 

I don't get how you can't watch anime on that laptop, and I wouldn't make that argument. But here's a consideration- if you made a good storage solution a priority, you could get confortable and watch anime on that laptop, but do it over your network, storing it all on your desktop. 

Show him star citizen 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

exactly. the only real reason for a desktop over a laptop is cost, and thats literally it nowadays. mate if your parents already got you a new laptop, theres no reason for them to buy you a new desktop also.

now, if you have your own money, and they are telling you cant, thats another story. 

Well it would be with my own money. I just need to give them reasons that I need it, as they don't want me wasting my money.

go buy your anime instead or pirating it or whatever on some sketchy website >.>

TBH there's no way in hell they would let me do that.

Well it would be with my own money. I just need to give them reasons that I need it, as they don't want me wasting my money.

well. "because my laptop cant handle anime" isnt a very good reason mate. a much cheaper solution would be to watch anime somewhere else.

I would suggest making a kissanime account, and setting html5 to be default. You can copy the video url of the video and paste it to watch it directly. I don't have a problem at all with an old dual core laptop I have with a nvs 160m, even without viewing it directly. 

I'd suggest doing directly if you don't have adblock for it, those ads can be rough. If you want to block those ads, there's a tamermonkey/greasemonkey extension that works for kissanime's anti-ad block solution

https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer

muh specs 

All parts black

Buy your own anime? Why?

Buy your own anime? Why?

Money permitting, I'm considering starting a collection. But if you are too young to be working, I'd consider it a waste of money since it's not cheap in any way 

muh specs 

All parts black

Money permitting, I'm considering starting a collection. But if you are too young to be working, I'd consider it a waste of money since it's not cheap in any way 

Not too bad, I started buying seasons when I was 14 lol

If you really want to have a desktop you could argue that it is more worth it in the long run. It would be a lot more worth it for you, as you are able to play more games, with laptops you will be more restricted in your ability to upgrade the machine, with a desktop it would be easier and faster when you need to make an upgrade, and would probably be cheaper. 

If your desktop broke then it would be cheaper to find and fix, and it would be easier to troubleshoot issues yourself, rather than having to take it to a tech shop and paying stupid amounts of money to have the laptop fixed. If you are both techies, then you would be able to work together and figure out what's wrong with the computer, and you are literate enough to figure out what is wrong, or what needs to be replaced. 

It will be a better investment than a laptop, because the computer would last longer than the laptop would, and wouldn't  take as much abuse as a laptop would, being moved around etc.

The desktop is way better for you to invest the money, or your money in a desktop, and not a laptop. You would be able to get a decent laptop for a decent price, but you probably would not be able to play any real intensive games on the laptop if it was just one for browsing that you buy for $600-1000.

What would be your budget if you were to get a desktop?

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

speed:

there are plenty of laptops that are very fast, like the razerblade, msi thingy and apple MBP

space:

you also have 1tb drives in laptop  format, space enough most of the time.

sitting:

crap reason, since most laptops got bottom vents forcing a desk upon you.

something to do:

tried setting up a laptop once perfectly?(light, scaling, programs, bloatware etc)

"educational value":

OCing isnt a must, laptops also have a BIOS and with multi OS a laptop can be a bit more of a challenge then a desktop.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

yeah, unfortunately your reasons probably are not good enough, especially if it's their money (is it?).

The reasons to get a desktop INSTEAD of a laptop.

1. More power for less money. 

2. Easier to upgrade/will be able to last longer from a performance standard. 

3. Will last longer due to a construction standard (it is stationary/never moves, so it will not "break" as easily as a laptop). 

4. Easier/cheaper to fix

However, if you already have a laptop, these do not all apply. Instead you have:

1. Easier to upgrade/will be able to last longer from a performance standard.

2. Is more powerful for gaming.

4. Easier/cheaper to fix 

Unless you have a specific requirement (rendering 3d modeling etc) a laptop is going to be just fine - and any tyech-saavy parent will know that - and will know you just want something that is more powerful for "fun" stuff you want to do. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Being able to playback anime is not a good reason to get a desktop.
If you were into things like heavy gaming, editing, streaming, content creation, that's where a desktop makes sense. Especially for gaming.
In terms of price to performance, laptops aren't really a viable option yet. A desktop with similar specs to a laptop will be much cheaper, use higher quality components (e.g. the power supply), and run cooler.
I'll be honest, unless you were taking your laptop to school, I don't really see the benefit of a laptop over a desktop anyway. If anything breaks on the laptop, like the display, you have to purchase a whole new laptop.
Of course, desktops do tend to be more expensive than low end laptops if you build it yourself. Anything less than £400/$600, and you're kind of wasting your money as you'll want/need to upgrade.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I want to build a desktop, but my dad doesn't think its worth it. I have some reasons, but I want more so I can make a better argument. He is a techie as well, so keep that in mind. He really cares about school and my programming ability/computer knowledge, so anything related to those would be nice.

It is more powerful and with that your programming and school work theoretically finish faster.

well. "because my laptop cant handle anime" isnt a very good reason mate. a much cheaper solution would be to watch anime somewhere else.

It would just be like a side point, not a main argument. If I knew anywhere else with the same quality, then I would go there, but I don't know anywhere else good.

I would suggest making a kissanime account, and setting html5 to be default. You can copy the video url of the video and paste it to watch it directly. I don't have a problem at all with an old dual core laptop I have with a nvs 160m, even without viewing it directly. 

I'd suggest doing directly if you don't have adblock for it, those ads can be rough. If you want to block those ads, there's a tamermonkey/greasemonkey extension that works for kissanime's anti-ad block solution

https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer

Thanks! That fixes one of my main problems! I knew a way to do this before, but it was indirect and was annoying to do every time.

If you really want to have a desktop you could argue that it is more worth it in the long run. It would be a lot more worth it for you, as you are able to play more games, with laptops you will be more restricted in your ability to upgrade the machine, with a desktop it would be easier and faster when you need to make an upgrade, and would probably be cheaper. 

If your desktop broke then it would be cheaper to find and fix, and it would be easier to troubleshoot issues yourself, rather than having to take it to a tech shop and paying stupid amounts of money to have the laptop fixed. If you are both techies, then you would be able to work together and figure out what's wrong with the computer, and you are literate enough to figure out what is wrong, or what needs to be replaced. 

It will be a better investment than a laptop, because the computer would last longer than the laptop would, and wouldn't  take as much abuse as a laptop would, being moved around etc.

The desktop is way better for you to invest the money, or your money in a desktop, and not a laptop. You would be able to get a decent laptop for a decent price, but you probably would not be able to play any real intensive games on the laptop if it was just one for browsing that you buy for $600-1000.

What would be your budget if you were to get a desktop?

Well I already have a build plan, which would be quite a bit faster than my laptop. 4gb of ram is one of my bigger problems, as I like to use lots of chrome tabs.

speed:

there are plenty of laptops that are very fast, like the razerblade, msi thingy and apple MBP

space:

you also have 1tb drives in laptop  format, space enough most of the time.

sitting:

crap reason, since most laptops got bottom vents forcing a desk upon you.

something to do:

tried setting up a laptop once perfectly?(light, scaling, programs, bloatware etc)

"educational value":

OCing isnt a must, laptops also have a BIOS and with multi OS a laptop can be a bit more of a challenge then a desktop.

I was comparing to my laptop, not laptops in general.

It would just be like a side point, not a main argument. If I knew anywhere else with the same quality, then I would go there, but I don't know anywhere else good.

Thanks! That fixes one of my main problems! I knew a way to do this before, but it was indirect and was annoying to do every time.

Well I already have a build plan, which would be quite a bit faster than my laptop. 4gb of ram is one of my bigger problems, as I like to use lots of chrome tabs.

I was comparing to my laptop, not laptops in general.

A long time ago I used to have a desktop years ago that I named "Bulletproof". It had a 9 drive array of cheaper 80GB drives. It was striped across three drives then mirrored 3 times. Only 240GB of space, but it was enough for my projects. Thing was, the way the drives were positioned, not only could it sustain the failure of any 2 drives in worst case scenario (more if the drives were not on the same stripe), but I figured that no single bullet from any direction could make me loose all of my data. Hence the name. 

I backed up on an external drive that I kept somewhere else, of course. 

THAT is a great reason to join the wonderful world of desktops. 

muh specs 

All parts black