Microsoft begins advertising Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users

Has anyone else noticed that the 'Get to know Windows 10' button leads to a 404?

Haven't got the update yet. Can't wait to see what it's like. Though it's probably not that drastic, I like new things haha. xP

From Windows 8,not That Much,Windows 7 Its Completely Different 

Oh man, i really cant be asked to reinstall everything :( (im going for clean install when im ready).

Its just so many little things to do *rolls his eyes*

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Opened this thread to post that I don't have it yet but it just sneaked it's way into the task bar as I started typing:

screenlttxfotu.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Yea a second ago,i came here looking just for this haha.

But still no .ISO is just sad,so sad hopefully we can work around some hacks and use legit win8 key to activate 10 fresh iso install.  :rolleyes:

I have to much trash on current windows lmao,i might have to do clean 8.1 install > then 10 upgrade my fking god MS what are you doing.

Hmm quick questions:

So games and applications are supposed to be compatible with windows 10? Does it transfer things like user files and settings? Do I need Windows 10 to use Direct X 12?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Time to buy a windows 8 licence 

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Just saw this on my home PC.

I do have one questions though.I can buy out my uni's laptop (My class are currently arguing about the price but it is irrelevant here) and if I do they'll format the hard drive. No big deal, I have my most important files on Google Drive and I make off-site back-ups anyway. I can also get Windows 8.1  for free through Dreamspark. Can I still get Windows 10 for free even though I can "only" get 8.1 through Dreamspark?

I have it right now. Will reserve a copy I think

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If I have a legit win 7 or 8 key tho I REALLY want the option for a clean install :/

im sure there will be ways of doing that, similar to the usb windows 8 method

Got it!

I'm so done with W8.1.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

post-216-0-20017900-1433151351.jpg

Microsoft recently changed the KB3035583 update from optional to recommended in Windows update. The update has prompted some Windows 7 and 8 users to reserve their free upgrade to Windows 10.
Microsoft also has a website up explaining what you should do if you want to upgrade to Windows 10. The page can be found here.
It is not clear (to me) if you will be able to get your free Windows 10 upgrade without reserving, or for how long the reservation period is. (Edit: You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free even if you don't reserve) If you want to be sure to get your free upgrade then install the update and follow the instructions in the popup message.

Here are the instructions from Microsoft:

post-216-0-15246200-1433151825_thumb.png

We’ve got your back
The Microsoft Answer Desk is here for you; if you have questions or want to learn more, our friendly Answer Techs are here to help. As a starting reference, see the Windows 10 Q&A.

See what’s new
Learn more about the great new features in Windows 10.

*Windows Offer Details
Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

It is not clear (to me) if you will be able to get your free Windows 10 upgrade without reserving, or for how long the reservation period is. If you want to be sure to get your free upgrade then install the update and follow the instructions in the popup message.

it says in the Q&A:

Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time:  you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?

Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Reservation? Didn't they say if you buy windows 7 and 8 before release you would just be able to upgrade....? 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

Well obviously you gotta reserve, you don't wanna run out of digital copies

Reservation? Didn't they say if you buy windows 7 and 8 before release you would just be able to upgrade....? 

It's just so they can make a line so that their servers don't crap out how hard is it to understand that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

it says in the Q&A:

To me that means "you have to reserve now, and once Windows 10 launches you will have 1 year to redeem it or else your reservation is canceled".

Edit: OK good, I missed that "can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn't reserve" question.

It's just so they can make a line so that their servers don't crap out how hard is it to understand that.

That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't explain what happens to those who don't reserve. Will they still get the upgrade?

Already done :D Just need to wait for another month. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I wouldn't mind betting they are doing this so they can stagger the downloads and not suddenly have 60% of the worlds desktops hit their servers for a full Windows download.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I dunno, bit afeared to try it out IMMEDIATELY. Who knows what might break? :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I don't have the notification :/ I have legit Windows 8.1. My Windows 7 laptop has the notification though.

To me that means "you have to reserve now, and once Windows 10 launches you will have 1 year to redeem it or else your reservation is canceled".

That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't explain what happens to those who don't reserve. Will they still get the upgrade?

I would say yes but you might end up in a que or on a waiting list. Or worse suffer a bandwidth limited download.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Repost prolly GoodBytes had a thread already.

Anyway i reserved but no account no nothing how do they know who i am based on machine?

FOR PEOPLE SAYING THEY DONT HAVE IT. restart ur pc