Corsair H110i GT can't handle 4790k @ 1.28v?

EDITAdaptive voltage is NOT on nor has it been. Voltage currently manually set to 1.26.

EDIT 2: I am now using Asus RealBench instead of P95 and temps are fine. Even lower when using CinaBench. Pretty sure this chip can easily go higher than 4.7ghz.

Hello everyone,

Here is my setup:

• Corsair H110i GT
  • i7 4970k
  • CPU Speed @ 4.7ghz 
  • Cpu Voltage @ 1.28v
  • Corsair Air 540 Case (w/6 140mm fans, 3 in, 2 out).

When I run Prime 95, my system is fine for the first 5 minutes as temps range in the high 60's and sometimes low 70's. Then, and this happens every time, the temps begin skyrocketing at an alarming rate right around the 6 minute mark of the stress test, going into the high 80's before I abort. By that time, my fans are pushing heavy air and at full blast but it's no use. 

I figured 1.28v shouldn't be an issue. And I also find it strange that the system is stable for several minutes, than things rapidly heat up all at once. On a slightly concerning note, I noticed AI Suite indicates my voltage is nearly 1.3, at around 1.298. But I assume that's simply its misreading of the voltage. 

What gives?

Why does it stay relatively cool for a while and then just spike?

Is 1.27v too much to ask of the H110i GT?

Daniel 

Is your Block mounted correctly?

Try re-applying thermal paste.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

is your pump running @ 1500 rpm? make sure your curve is at 100%.

what thermal paste are you using? i read that the stock one sucks

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Is your Block mounted correctly?

Try re-applying thermal paste.

That was my thought too. Will do.

Before stress testing, set voltage to manual/constant/override.  Adaptive voltage causes excessive heat and overvolting.  Its dangerous.  When done stress testing, revert back to adaptive.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

is your pump running @ 1500 rpm? make sure your curve is at 100%.

I place the pump on "Performance Mode" in Corsair Link. All other fans are controlled by AI Suite through Asus's software.

Before stress testing, set voltage to manual/constant/override.  Adaptive voltage causes excessive heat and overvolting.  Its dangerous.  When done stress testing, revert back to adaptive.

I believe I have adaptive voltage off. It is set to 1.28 in bios. CPUZ does not show any change in the voltage. Furthermore, if we were to trust the voltage displayed in AI Suite (which I doubt is accurate), then it's only going up to 1.3v which should be normal for 4970k.

what thermal paste are you using? i read that the stock one sucks

Arctic 5. Maybe I put a little too much on.

Here is a response I got from Overclock.net:

"That's normal for Prime95 on these Haswell CPUs. The Haswell overclocking experts strongly recommend avoiding Prime95 at all costs when overclocked because many people have actually destroyed their CPU due to overheating. I don't know what the name of the recommended test is that should be used instead, but I remember that it has "H.264" in the name. You can ask Cyro999; she knows."

70c is fine.. im at 80c load 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

70c is fine.. im at 80c load 

If I don't abort the test, it'll go beyond 90.

Here is a response I got from Overclock.net:

"That's normal for Prime95 on these Haswell CPUs. The Haswell overclocking experts strongly recommend avoiding Prime95 at all costs when overclocked because many people have actually destroyed their CPU due to overheating. I don't know what the name of the recommended test is that should be used instead, but I remember that it has "H.264" in the name. You can ask Cyro999; she knows."

The reason P95 isn't recommended for Haswell/DC is because so many people forget to switch their voltage to manual.  Just because you set it manually in the BIOS, doesn't mean it is set to manual.  You have to go into the BIOS and there is a drop down menu which allows you to choose adaptive, manual, or offset.  Set it to manual 1.280.

I have an i5-4670k and Seidon 240M.  A weaker chip, but also weaker AIO.  When doing P95 at 1.275v/4.7Ghz, I maxed out temperature at 76C.  A 4790k is a hotter chip, but you also have a much stronger AIO.  You should be in the mid 80s if you are using manual voltage would be my guess.

Just make sure you use manual voltage, or don't use P95 to stress test.  No matter what program you use to stress test, you should still use manual voltage.

Cinebench, Aida64, XTU, Linpack, OCCT, there are a lot of programs out there.  P95 is definitely the most strenuous.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I've heard not to use Prime95 with Haswells. Try some other stress test program.

That's not supposed to do that....

Prime 95 is a temp killer. Use something on the lines of aida64 or intel xtu to stress test.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You can get a free demo version of AIDA64 (one month trial.)

I have a 4790k in an Air 540, with a 110 (non GT.)  My highest stable overclock has been 4.7 GHz at about 1.28v and my temps never got above low sixties in AIDA64.

Until proven otherwise I think your issue is Prime95, not the cooler.

I run 4.8ghz @ 1.225v and temps are in the 70s c

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I believe I have adaptive voltage off. It is set to 1.28 in bios. CPUZ does not show any change in the voltage. Furthermore, if we were to trust the voltage displayed in AI Suite (which I doubt is accurate), then it's only going up to 1.3v which should be normal for 4970k.

Do NOT use adaptive for when youre stressing it. It will go way over what youre comfortable with. Put it to manual stress testing, use aida64 instead of prime. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Sounds like adaptive voltage is on, go into the bios and change your voltage to "manual"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Adaptive voltage is not on. Temps are not an issue when using other benchmarks.

try reapply thermal compound. i had that issue before reapplying works. There are tons of methods but after few tries, somehow an odd way works best. Put a pea size in the middle, spread it with your finger evenly, and after tht when you put the pump head on top, try apply a bit pressure and move it around rotate it or something like that, imagine u trying to even the paste and trying to cover every spot there are. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3