Why do school punish us for hacking?

mrswagbhinav

I was desperate for internet (no data plan) after the school shut down their guest WiFi so I brought my laptop so school and bypassed their WiFi passcode using Linux. So the school found out but I only told three people who may have told others. I told the school administrators that same day but they already knew and  now I'm facing a two day suspension, lunch detention for the rest of the school year (15 days), and no use of technology for the rest of my time in the school. (till 6/21/16) So why should I get punished for this, I understand that it is illegal and wrong but I pointed out major flaws in their security and companies like Facebook reward users for hacking into their sites. What's your take on this and tell me if I deserved it lel 

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

You deserve it, maybe not the part of not being able to use it next year. You should not bypass the wifi password, often you can use your student login to log into it which there is nothing wrong with it. Also if you do something dumb don't go around telling others [the password].

because you didnt tell them?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

did they hire you to do this? thats like me breaking into your house and complaining saying it was justified because i found a flaw in your security

Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it. ~ Feynman 

-snip-

If you told the teachers before the students, you should be rewarded. In my opinion you should have just kept the password to yourself and maybe told a few close friends ;) Follow your own topic.

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

Because you broke into their network, even if you walk into an open room, if you are not supposed to walk into it you will get into troubles

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

well they are just conservative and don´t know that you are in fact a genius :P 

while i would not call it a hack in public. call it something else so people don't get suspicious. ;)  

I find it hard to believe that you "hacked" into a network, told other people the password and are now curious why you are in shit for it.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

1. hacking is illegal

2. you did not tell them about the flaw, you took advantage of it. dont try to act like a good guy, you did not tell them about it.

3. they are scared of what you can do possibly

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

iv been bypasing logins on Windows 7 for admin acces for so long that no one cares at school anymore

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I find it hard to believe that you "hacked" into a network, told other people the password and are now curious why you are in shit for it.

haha I'm not curious I deserved it but should it be different is my question

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I understand that it is illegal and wrong

then I don't undestand why your punishment comes as a surprise... there are rules, you don't get to do what you want and even get their gratitude for showing them it's possible to get through their security measures (besides, those seem to work fine if they caught you). Grey hat hackers find flaws and report them so they can get fixed, black hats exploit the flaws for their personal gain. It seems to me you fall under the second category.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was desperate for internet (no data plan) after the school shut down their guest WiFi so I brought my laptop so school and bypassed their WiFi passcode using Linux. So the school found out because I was telling others the password, which I do not regret. Now I'm facing a two day suspension, lunch detention for the rest of the school year (15 days), and no use of technology for the rest of my time in the school. (till 6/21/16) So why should I get punished for this, I understand that it is illegal and wrong but I pointed out major flaws in their security and companies like Facebook reward users for hacking into their sites. What's your take on this and tell me if I deserved it lel :P

So your impatience gives you the right to act like a git.. and circumvent security methods imposed by another party with intrusive behavior to benefit your own means.

Then tell others how to do the same thing.....

Get what you deserve.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

iv been bypasing logins on Windows 7 for admin acces for so long that cares at school anymore

admin access and internet passwords are different, nobody gives a shit about one and the other is illegal

I was desperate for internet (no data plan) after the school shut down their guest WiFi so I brought my laptop so school and bypassed their WiFi passcode using Linux. So the school found out because I was telling others the password, which I do not regret. Now I'm facing a two day suspension, lunch detention for the rest of the school year (15 days), and no use of technology for the rest of my time in the school. (till 6/21/16) So why should I get punished for this, I understand that it is illegal and wrong but I pointed out major flaws in their security and companies like Facebook reward users for hacking into their sites. What's your take on this and tell me if I deserved it lel :P

you deserve it for being a idiot. don't tell people when you've done something wrong. NEWSFLASH: that's how they find out 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Connecting to a network without someones permission is ILLEGAL. Just take your punishment. The consequences could have been much worse.

There is a difference between pointing out a security flaw and exploiting it.

I know I'm a bit harsh but still

haha I'm not curious I deserved it but should it be different is my question

It is different. You're not in the field of network security and were not hired to test the security of the organisations network. 

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

then I don't undestand why your punishment comes as a surprise... there are rules, you don't get to do what you want and even get their gratitude for showing them it's possible to get through their security measures (besides, those seem to work fine if they caught you). Grey hat hackers find flaws and report them so they can get fixed, black hats exploit the flaws for their personal gain. It seems to me you fall under the second cathegory.

ANNOUNCMENT: I told the administrators, they were suspicious and that confirmed their suspicions and they didn't care about the security so I made a witty comment. That was the real reason why I got in that much trouble.

If you told the teachers before the students, you should be rewarded. In my opinion you should have just kept the password to yourself and maybe told a few close friends ;) Follow your own topic.

This. When I was in high school (waaaay back in year 7, 2007), I got into the system we used for monitoring assessment pieces and gave myself admin rights. I told our IT staff when I did, so the IT head bought me lunch.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the school, really all you did is go somewhere on their network you weren't meant to. If you'd told the IT staff of the flaws in their system, I'm sure they would have appreciated it... Instead, you made the staff have to work out who got access, how they did it, and how widespread the problem was.

Edit: in the case of the above comment, you still didn't come to them first and you didn't take it seriously.

That said, because you did raise the issue with them rather than just continue to abuse the system, I personally believe a two-day suspension is unfair.

I hacked into my school's server like 4 times. Got caught the last time but they didn't do anything beside make me go to a meeting with the tech department telling them what I did and how so they could fix it. If I didn't do that then they would have suspended me but they shouldn't take away your tech privileges next year. But schools are broken. I do admit telling everyone the password was a bit stupid.

Ran by coffee

This. When I was in high school (waaaay back in year 7, 2007), I got into the system we used for monitoring assessment pieces and gave myself admin rights. I told our IT staff when I did, so the IT head bought me lunch.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the school, really all you did is go somewhere on their network you weren't meant to. If you'd told the IT staff of the flaws in their system, I'm sure they would have appreciated it... Instead, you made the staff have to work out who got access, how they did it, and how widespread the problem was.

I hacked into my school's server like 4 times. Got caught the last time but they didn't do anything beside make me go to a meeting with the tech department telling them what I did and how so they could fix it. If I didn't do that then they would have suspended me but they shouldn't take away your tech privileges next year. But schools are broken. I do admit telling everyone the password was a bit stupid.

I only told three people and after telling them I told the administrators who already knew

1. hacking is illegal

2. you did not tell them about the flaw, you took advantage of it. dont try to act like a good guy, you did not tell them about it.

3. they are scared of what you can do possibly

then I don't undestand why your punishment comes as a surprise... there are rules, you don't get to do what you want and even get their gratitude for showing them it's possible to get through their security measures (besides, those seem to work fine if they caught you). Grey hat hackers find flaws and report them so they can get fixed, black hats exploit the flaws for their personal gain. It seems to me you fall under the second category.

I agree with these people. Also this should be in off-topic.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

ANNOUNCMENT: I told the administrators, they were suspicious and that confirmed their suspicions and they didn't care about the security so I made a witty comment. That was the real reason why I got in that much trouble.

you still took advantage of the flaw and only told them because they caught you after that comment. what you did is fine if you tell the teachers/techs right away instead of using it and even giving it out to other students. It's not for you to decide who gets to use a wifi network that does not belong to you. There could be all kinds of reasons for which access was denied to students. Next time, if you really need wifi do like I used to. Convince a teacher that it would greatly benefit your work and they'll give you the password. Don't share it like wildfire and they will do so again if and when it changes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*