Consumer Reports survey ranks Apple top for tech support among PC makers

genius.jpg?w=1044&h=586

Lets file this under: No duh. 

Apple customer service is to retail sales what Amazon customer service is to online sales. The two really work in a realm of their own and when it comes to computer hardware support (hardware and software support in general), you'll be hard pressed to find a retailer who does it better or even seems to give it the attention it deserves. 

Its a comfort that if something should go wrong on my phone or laptop, I can just walk 5 minutes to the Apple Store and get the help I need. On my desktop? Umm...well...the tech support is only as good as my Google skills or my patience, that and however much my local shops charge me. Not exactly a customer friendly approach. 

If you want an army of geeks you can count on to tame an unruly computer, you’d better buy a Macintosh: Apple tech support is by far the most effective of any computer brand’s. With most Windows PCs, there’s only a 50-50 chance that a manufacturer’s tech support will do the trick.

That’s what more than 3,200 computer owners told us when Consumer Reports National Research Center surveyed them earlier this year. Mac users gave Apple’s phone and online support glowing reviews, and four out of five said tech support was able to resolve their problem.

It’s no surprise that Apple had the highest score for overall user satisfaction. In fact, the company has been top-rated every year since we first asked consumers about tech support back in 2007—even though Apple provides just 90 days of free phone and online tech support, compared with one year for most Windows PC companies.

Yeah, this doesn't suprise me at all. I've owned many Apple products in the past, my visits to the store for support and calls have all been executed quickly in a professional manner.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Im definitly not surprised, the number of times ive dealt with them they have been pretty good apart from that one time where the guy at the other end had a coughing fit for around a minute leaving me confused and forgetting the reason as to why i even called.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Personally, my experience with the Genius bar is them telling me:

"It wont work because <thing i already figured out>. You need to pay us <large amount of money> for a new <broken component or device> and we will get it back to you in <large number of days>."

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

The reason they have such great support is because they're geeks, wannabe nerds. Only wannabes use Apple products as it takes next to no skill to use one of dem Apples.  Joking... ... .. .. . . . . about joking.

blackshades on

I can believe it. I went to an Apple Store for the first time the other day, everybody was extremely nice and helpful, and when you said you weren't interested in help, they left you alone until you approached them. It was a nice experience, much nicer than any visit to Best Buy, Microcenter, or Fry's Electronics.

It was funny when my brother bought some of the ear pods, because the reps asked him which phone he had, and he said in what seemed like a nervous attitude, "The Nexus 5, the Google Nexus 5." 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Personally, my experience with the Genius bar is them telling me:

"It wont work because <thing i already figured out>. You need to pay us <large amount of money> for a new <broken component or device> and we will get it back to you in <large number of days>."

Only happens under two conditions:

1. Out of warranty.

2. You were a dick to whoever was helping you. 

I know several people both on the floor and in management at Apple Stores. Their mentality is that if you're nice and reasonable, they will do whatever they can and bend internal rules to make sure your problems are solved. If you even have a whiff of douchebag about you, good luck getting any slack and assistance. 

Helping you includes ignoring the whole "out of warranty" thing and getting your repair done at a discounted rate or for free. 

Only happens under two conditions:

1. Out of warranty.

2. You were a dick to whoever was helping you. 

I know several people both on the floor and in management at Apple Stores. Their mentality is that if you're nice and reasonable, they will do whatever they can and bend internal rules to make sure your problems are solved. If you even have a whiff of douchebag about you, good luck getting any slack and assistance. 

To be fair, i do live in Seattle, so the Apple mentaility up here isnt as good as it is in, say, SF

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

The reason they have such great support is because they're geeks, wannabe nerds. Only wannabes use Apple products as it takes next to no skill to use one of dem Apples.  Joking... ... .. .. . . . . about joking.

Wannabes use Apple products, as it takes next to no skill to use them...? Since when did it take skill to use any similar tech product? 

Just who was top before them ? going to find that out I guess.

OT: Apple support has been great to me so far and it's reputation is just like Amazon support which is Mythic.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Having dealt with support from a few different brands, I have to say Apple's is far above any others I have had experience with.

they charged me 75 dollars to stick a screw driver in to partially unjam the power button on a imac. by partially unjam if i put all my strength into it i can press the power button but its still not really fixed and they charged me 75 dollars for that

they charged me 75 dollars to stick a screw driver in to partially unjam the power button on a imac. by partially unjam if i put all my strength into it i can press the power button but its still not really fixed and they charged me 75 dollars for that

You got tricked ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You got tricked ?

basically i took in my imac and they literally just fiddled around with the power button with a screw driver and then they gave it back to me and said if you press really hard it works. then they gave me a bill for 75 dollars

basically i took in my imac and they literally just fiddled around with the power button with a screw driver and then they gave it back to me and said if you press really hard it works. then they gave me a bill for 75 dollars

Fraud I call that fraud.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Was hoping to see some rankings  :(

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Apple support in store and over the phone like Apple Care is just amazing. I wish all support was like this.. 

Ran by coffee

I disagree, as I provide better tech support for my moms PC that I built her (being that its free tech support)

/s

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs