Republicans want to kill the FCC's plan to subsidize internet for the poor

Have you considered that there is already free internet for that. Libraries or job centers provide free internet for those kind of things. No need to give hand outs to anyone. That includes companies 

I sorta touched on that in a previous post.

Right... That uhh... That might be a you issue. Stuff like that almost always is. Maybe stop applying for jobs that are clearly out of your experience range, fix up your resume, get a cert or two. 

Right, because working the register at walmart, flipping burgers at *insert random fast food chain* is outside of ANYONES qualifications. Not to mention the f**ked up system of needing to have job experience to get a job......which you can't get because you don't have any job experience.

As I used to get told, "When you don't have a job, your job is finding one. That means 40 hours a week applying places." 

Again, been there, done that. Decided to go back to school instead of wasting my time applying for jobs that are dead end jobs. I still go out once a week and apply, just in the hopes of getting something for pocket change (or to pre-pay off my student loan)

And how am I able to do that? Because I'm lucky. I still live at home, and my parents have internet because my mom does appraisals via the internet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Right, because working the register at walmart, flipping burgers at *insert random fast food chain* is outside of ANYONES qualifications. Not to mention the f**ked up system of needing to have job experience to get a job......which you can't get because you don't have any job experience.

Check my edit. I added a bit.

It is VERY easy to get relevant job experience. You may not get paid though. But you aren't getting paid regardless... Soooo...

Edit: Very easy is too strong. But it isn't that hard.

Have you considered that there is already free internet for that. Libraries or job centers provide free internet for those kind of things. No need to give hand outs to anyone. That includes companies 

Have you been reading anything Kloaked and I have been typing?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Wow, some the of the comments on the topic are so ignorant and spiteful, I doubt that any of you who side with the GOP know what it is like to be poor so let me clue you in as someone who is and has dealt with "entitlements"

It sucks, the system is ass backwards,  from the state I live in I cant take on more the 40 hours a week because I would, or really my very sick and mother who is an amputate would loose section 8, causing the apartment rent to go over 1k something we cant afford, so what about nursing or assisted living ? those are a joke, they strip you of all your income allowing  you to keep only a few things and give you a paltry 150 dollars allowance plus they are notorious for drug sedating patients, which is illegal. health care is much better thanks to Obama care, but previously I was without insurance, a single xray for my TMI was about 150 dollars

so what about the low cost Internet along with low cost phones they are not a necessity, yeah in basic principle the only thing a person needs is food and shelter, but we are not talking about 10000 bc we are talking about modern day United states, in order to be able to communicate with anyone INCLUDING emergency response (which is a basic legal right) you need to have a phone. also as the article mentioned the lifeline program was not started up by Obama it was started up by Reagan, these politicians need to get things straight before they throw out baseless accusations.

and finally on topic, the Internet is no longer a luxury many business and services communicate through the Internet, most colleges have  at least some online only classes this also extends to public education and homeschooling.

one last thing if you are going to reply to me with a counter-argument be respectful, if you cant do that then you comment is not worth me wasting my time replying to

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I don't know if to laugh or cry about how ignorant of reality your proposition is.

Feel free to argue on merit. Seriously, what prevents the truly poor from going to the library on the weekends or to night school in the public system? It's free for Christ's sake! If you want to get somewhere in life, apply yourself! I should not have to pay (without control of my money's distribution) for anything beyond public infrastructure and the minimal amount of government required to maintain a military, trade, international relations, interstate infrastructure, and very basic functions required to have this country and its states exist as independent but united republics.

If you make piss poor decisions, it should be entirely on you to pay for the consequences. Most poor people are poor because of crappy decision making. Emphasis on most. There are exceptions, notable ones, but I'm not going to write a full-length essay differentiating them all right here. In this instance, the GOP is right. It's too expensive with no promise of return on investment, much like the majority of welfare programs. This isn't about preserving lives and providing opportunity. It's providing luxury on top of a very well equipped public internet system already in place.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Check my edit. I added a bit.

It is VERY easy to get relevant job experience. You may not get paid though. But you aren't getting paid regardless... Soooo...

Edit: Very easy is too strong. But it isn't that hard.

Yeah, I don't do internships. Not a big fan of slave labor, which is what those essentially are. Which is why I'm going to school to make myself a better candidate.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Have you been reading anything Kloaked and I have been typing?

Up to the comment in which I replied yes. Past that no I had not when I replied. 

Yeah, I don't do internships. Not a big fan of slave labor, which is what those essentially are. Which is why I'm going to school to make myself a better candidate.

Well then you can hardly complain about a lack of experience lol

You are making no money right now anyways. At least with an internship you would be getting experience and a foot in the door. 

Feel free to argue on merit. Seriously, what prevents the truly poor from going to the library on the weekends or to night school in the public system? It's free for Christ's sake! If you want to get somewhere in life, apply yourself! I should not have to pay (without control of my money's distribution) for anything beyond public infrastructure and the minimal amount of government required to maintain a military, trade, international relations, interstate infrastructure, and very basic functions required to have this country and its states exist as independent but united republics.

If you make piss poor decisions, it should be entirely on you to pay for the consequences. Most poor people are poor because of crappy decision making. Emphasis on most. There are exceptions, notable ones, but I'm not going to write a full-length essay differentiating them all right here. In this instance, the GOP is right. It's too expensive with no promise of return on investment, much like the majority of welfare programs. This isn't about preserving lives and providing opportunity. It's providing luxury on top of a very well equipped public internet system already in place.

Uhh, no, just no. You have no idea what you're talking about and quite frankly it's getting tiring arguing against the same incorrect "points."

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Most people are poor for making crappy decisions? You have got to be joking me right?

No most people are below the poverty line because the system is designed to make rich people richer and poor people poorer.

The GOP is not right, giving huge business tax breaks knowing damn well that none of those savings will be invested in the workers, rather it is pocketed by the rich.

I have never seen so much political bullshit than I have seen with the GOP. I know both parties are corrupt to the core but not like the GOP is! They're about big business support and receiving nice donations and kickbacks from the companies that they lobby for. Oil companies, private weapons contractors keep a steady flow of cash into the party in exchange for more war. 

Wake up sheeple.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

You do realize internships are often wanted so you have some experience. They are not slave labor, it would be that if you got nothing in return. Which is not the case you get experience and often a reference. School helps but experience is more important.

Most people are poor for making crappy decisions? You have got to be joking me right?

No most people are below the poverty line because the system is designed to make rich people richer and poor people poorer.

The GOP is not right, giving huge business tax breaks knowing damn well that none of those savings will be invested in the workers, rather it is pocketed by the rich.

Wake up sheeple

People are paid what their value is. Weather that be $10 an hour or $100 an hour. We need people to flip burgers for dirt cheap so the food is cheap. We need someone to clean the floor, not that hard anyone can do it. Point is the system needs poor people. While it is hard to move up the ladder it is not something that is too hard. If you are born poor that is not your fault, if you die poor it is your fault. 

Uhh, no, just no. You have no idea what you're talking about and quite frankly it's getting tiring arguing against the same incorrect "points."

You haven't argued a single one of mine this entire thread. If you want in the ring with the heavyweights, you need to shape up. Internet access is not a right, but that said there are places in every state in the nation where you can get it 24/7. The FCC is not tasked with public goods. It is tasked specifically with interstate and international communication regulations with respect to the USA. 

Handing out free internet in the homes of the poor is not a solution and in fact only encourages remaining poor. I'm sorry, but the welfare nanny state must come to an end somewhere. The poor have more than abundant resources in this country to fend for and better themselves if actual effort and intelligence is put forth on their part. If neither can be summoned, let the buggers rot. It's their choices which affect them most. I should not have to pay for their terrible decisions, end of story. Freedom to and freedom from, a duality you'd better familiarize yourself with. I should be free from having the government spend my hard-earned money in frivolous ways without my consent. This is firvolous.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I once belived this until a started volunteering at homeless shelters and at food shelfs, and from what I saw (and also experience personally) many people are impoverished because they were A. layed off (mass layoffs are common B. did not have a college degree, wanted too but had to work 2 to 3 jobs and had a family, Had mental issues it could all be compounded by drugs, these issues are not not mutually exclusive.

I strongly advice you to at least volunteer once down at a food shelf, you learn a lot about poverty and the human desire to endure for a better chance.

I have never seen so much political bullshit than I have seen with the GOP. I know both parties are corrupt to the core but not like the GOP is! They're about big business support and receiving nice donations and kickbacks from the companies that they lobby for. Oil companies, private weapons contractors keep a steady flow of cash into the party in exchange for more war. 

Wake up sheeple.

I agree, what has happened to the republican party ? they were never this pro corporation before I mean they were, but they were at least somewhat reasonable, these guys dont care about who or what they hurt its disturbing

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

God damn you Democrats just want us to pay for everything. I'm not gonna buy a fucking iPhone 6 for a lazy son of a bitch who refuses to get up and work!

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

People are paid what their value is. Weather that be $10 an hour or $100 an hour. We need people to flip burgers for dirt cheap so the food is cheap. We need someone to clean the floor, not that hard anyone can do it. Point is the system needs poor people. While it is hard to move up the ladder it is not something that is too hard. If you are born poor that is not your fault, if you die poor it is your fault. 

The system doesn't need poor people, it makes poor people. Why do the 1% have the majority of voting power in this country? Because they want it that way, keep people sick, stupid and in debt so that way nothing will change. The system is broken and perpetually defeating any attempt to change it.

You haven't argued a single one of mine this entire thread. If you want in the ring with the heavyweights, you need to shape up. Internet access is not a right, but that said there are places in every state in the nation where you can get it 24/7. The FCC is not tasked with public goods. It is tasked specifically with interstate and international communication regulations with respect to the USA. 

Handing out free internet in the homes of the poor is not a solution and in fact only encourages remaining poor. I'm sorry, but the welfare nanny state must come to an end somewhere. The poor have more than abundant resources in this country to fend for and better themselves if actual effort and intelligence is put forth on their part. If neither can be summoned, let the buggers rot. It's their choices which affect them most. I should not have pay for their terrible decisions, end of story. Freedom to and freedom from, a duality you'd familiarize yourself with. I should be free from having the government spend my hard-earned money in frivolous ways without my consent. This is firvolous.

That's such a typical Right wing point of view isn't it?

Make all impoverished people out to be beggars that way it's suddenly their fault not the fault of the system. The fact is that people do not have the same opportunities if they are raised in poverty as they do if they are raised wealthy.

It doesn't encourage people to be lazy, it gives people access to information, knowledge is power! Taking away knowledge is what is making the situation worse, you can see this in education and the effect it has on communities or opportunities. Proper education needs to be a right across the board, it settles the playing field and lets people of every class have the same chance. Every other fucking 1st world country has figured this out long ago but because of people like you we are stuck with shitty education and perpetual poverty.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Handing out free internet in the homes of the poor is not a solution and in fact only encourages remaining poor. I'm sorry, but the welfare nanny state must come to an end somewhere. The poor have more than abundant resources in this country to fend for and better themselves if actual effort and intelligence is put forth on their part. If neither can be summoned, let the buggers rot. It's their choices which affect them most. I should not have pay for their terrible decisions, end of story. Freedom to and freedom from, a duality you'd familiarize yourself with. I should be free from having the government spend my hard-earned money in frivolous ways without my consent. This is firvolous.

There's a good reason why a lot of people on this forum think that not only do you have the reading comprehension skills of a 2nd grader, but also you're not half as intelligent as you try to make yourself seem. It's on full display in this post.

EDIT: nevermind not worth starting a flame war over 

Wake up sheeple.

No, I'm not joking. Most of the poor are very lazy or unintelligent and are still very much cared for. Our welfare system is the most generous in the world. It's far from spartan, and we spend far too much on it. Let the poor better themselves and earn a better lot in life.

That's news to me. I grew up poorer than most of you most likely, and I applied myself, got a full ride through college including my master's studies. Businesses are not moral entities and cannot operate as such. They exist to make money by selling services or products. You either understand that and work with it, or you delude yourself. Businesses are not charities, and though we can reward them for doing charitable work, you cannot change this fundamental fact. The rich remain rich by being more intelligent than consumers at large. The very poor mostly remain poor by their bad decisions and the fallout from those decisions. If my family could go from broke to making 6 figures, so can anyone. My parents aren't brilliant, but they're damn good at what they do after years of practice. 

War will always be its own economic force. If you intend to stop that, you'd have to topple the entire tech and weapons industry. It's not going to happen. Humans are inherently weak against laziness and greed, two forces which are usually conflicting. If money can be made, it will, by any and all means necessary, following the path of least resistance until one hungers for more, and then the next (but laziest usually) step is taken to make more. Oil is an economy of scale, and sorry but that scale is huge and can't be toppled except by innovations on scales we simply haven't seen in solar. As efficiency of ICEs has risen steadily in years and as the efficiency of solar panels has pretty much stagnated, there is little demand for it because economically the returns take forever or will never materialize. If you want to change the system, you're going to have to be better than the system. Politics is not the right answer. Enabling the poor beyond giving them ample opportunity (which they have in spades in this country) is not the right answer. Sorry but even as a life long democrat who practically idolizes Kennedy, you're so far off track you've lost all sight of it. The GOP's arguments are wholly correct. It's stupidly expensive for no guaranteed return in a time we don't have money and the poor don't need more.

God damn you Democrats just want us to pay for everything. I'm not gonna buy a fucking iPhone 6 for a lazy son of a bitch who refuses to get up and work!

You completely missed the reasoning behind the article didn't you?

Just another person that can only look surface deep because of the misinformation that their party gives them. Poor people are poor because the system perpetuates it, not because they choose to stay that way. 

Hail Sithis!

I once belived this until a started volunteering at homeless shelters and at food shelfs, and from what I saw (and also experience personally) many people are impoverished because they were A. layed off (mass layoffs are common B. did not have a college degree, wanted too but had to work 2 to 3 jobs and had a family, Had mental issues it could all be compounded by drugs, these issues are not not mutually exclusive.

I strongly advice you to at least volunteer once down at a food shelf, you learn a lot about poverty and the human desire to endure for a better chance.

I agree, what has happened to the republican party ? they were never this pro corporation before I mean they were, but they were at least somewhat reasonable, these guys dont care about who or what they hurt its disturbing

I already volunteer in homeless shelters on the weekends. The people who apply themselves get my help and tend to move out on their own and do well. Those who don't, stay, and I tend to ignore them b/c they aren't worth my time. If you're a real charity case, I'll hear you out. If you're really applying yourself, I'm perfectly happy to help you and reduce the tax burden on myself and my fellows. That said, the majority of the truly poor, not just the "I just got laid off and lost my house" poor who actually have a fair amount of equity in that house they just lost which can be liquidated if they pay attention, are just plum lazy and/or stupid beyond comprehension. Frankly, they should stay poor and should be looked down upon. I should not have to pay for a poor man buying cigarettes with an EBT card, which I've seen firsthand and even mentioned to the shop owner how illegal that is, only to be tossed out myself because those cigarettes were worth more than the food I was buying.

The poor have it better in this country than anywhere else in the world. They can take advantage of that to better themselves and move up, or they can be lazy and ruminate in their own filth. The former don't need free internet b/c they already know how to get it. The latter don't deserve it.

You completely missed the reasoning behind the article didn't you?

Just another person that can only look surface deep because of the misinformation that their party gives them. Poor people are poor because the system perpetuates it, not because they choose to stay that way. 

If you want to stop perpetuating it, stop enabling the poor in remaining poor! It should be shameful to be a failure to that degree for any extended period! They should be getting the bare essentials until they're back in the workforce. The poor get so many luxuries in this country it's insane! The internet is free already if you just look for it.

There's a good reason why a lot of people on this forum think that not only do you have the reading comprehension skills of a 2nd grader, but also you're not half as intelligent as you try to make yourself seem. It's on full display in this post.

More insults with no debate and no substance. If ad hominem counts as intelligence, maybe you are smarter than me.