5.25" floppy disk reader?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I know this sounds crazy :P

While working with some old equipment on school today, we worked with Floppy disks.

I love them.

I need them.

So is there a 5.25" floppy disk reader? Does that even exist? :P

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

-snip-

Yeah? Of course they exist, how else were people able to use floppy disks?

I still have 2 or 3 here :P Stores don't really sell them anymore, but maybe you can go to a flea market or 2nd hand goodwill like store and find one in an old PC?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Finding a drive should not be a problem.  Connecting it to your system will probably require an IDE to SATA connector.

Finding functional disks is going to be your biggest problem.

Did they show you 3.5" drives as well? 

Finding a drive should not be a problem.  Connecting it to your system will probably require an IDE to SATA connector.

Finding functional disks is going to be your biggest problem.

Did they show you 3.5" drives as well? 

I only know that they were Floppy Disks :P

They were quite small though, the reader only used half a 5.25" bay.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

@Damikiller37, @LosthawkX, @LiamApex, @Minibois, @ThomasD.

I've found a store that sells USB Floppy readers and Floppy disks. Can I somehow put the USB thing in the 5.25" without it looking atrocious? :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

@Damikiller37, @LosthawkX, @LiamApex, @Minibois, @ThomasD.

I've found a store that sells USB Floppy readers and Floppy disks. Can I somehow put the USB thing in the 5.25" without it looking atrocious? :P

Hook it up with one of these inside:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200294

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

This will require a bit of DIY but grab something like THIS then get some acrylic such as THIS; cut it to shape and mount it somehow. If you don't like the shiny surface on the acrylic do THIS.

This will require a bit of DIY but grab something like THIS then get some acrylic such as THIS; cut it to shape and mount it somehow. If you don't like the shiny surface on the acrylic do THIS.

Yay! I like doing modding, so unless there's an easier alternative, I'll definitely do this!

Basic guide to CPU's!

i still have windows 95 on all 13 floppys lol

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Just wondering what is the use of this?

I'll leave this here:

i still have windows 95 on all 13 floppys lol

CD's are for mainstream people!

Basic guide to CPU's!

Were the disks little rigid plastic cases, with a sliding metallic cover protecting the internals?  If so then they were 3.5" floppies.

Which are much, much better than 5.25" ones (there were even 8" ones way back in the 1970s.) Some 3.5" disks could actually hold over one megabyte of data!

So yeah, one disk won't even hold one photo from a decent digital SLR camera...

Just an FYI:  The computers I used in high school ran off of two 5.25" floppies (no hard drive at all.)  One drive had the disk with the operating system and the other drive held your data.

And the first computer I bought out of college had a hard drive with less capacity than one stick of the RAM in my five year old home system (4 x 2GB.)  

Were the disks little rigid plastic cases, with a sliding metallic cover protecting the internals?  If so then they were 3.5" floppies.

I think they were 3.25" floppies than :P

Oh, also an FYI: 5.25" refers too the expansion bays in the computers, not the floppy size :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

I think they were 3.25" floppies than :P

Oh, also an FYI: 5.25" refers too the expansion bays in the computers, not the floppy size :P

3.5", not 3.25"

And 5.25" bays got their name from the size of the floppies, not the other way around.  The actual width of the bay is closer to 5.7 inches.

Got a USB 3.5" FDD myself from a recyclers. Upto 1.44mb of data, kinda hard to put much on there nowadays.

The 3.5s are much better than the 5.25s or the 8s, although there is something cool about the flexibility of the 5.25s and 8s.

"Approimentley"? Is that a reference I'm not getting, or just someone didn't proof read?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I know this sounds crazy :P

While working with some old equipment on school today, we worked with Floppy disks.

I love them.

I need them.

So is there a 5.25" floppy disk reader? Does that even exist? :P

Thanks in advance!

I actually have a few of those sitting around for machines I'm rebuilding. If I have an extra one and you're seriously interested, I'd be willing to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Which disk did they look like? Because that will greatly effect what kind of drive you need.

post-63986-0-93319500-1433178883_thumb.j

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I actually have a few of those sitting around for machines I'm rebuilding. If I have an extra one and you're seriously interested, I'd be willing to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

What do they look like? If they will look fancy in my build, I would even pay you :P

Which disk did they look like? Because that will greatly effect what kind of drive you need.

I'm pretty sure it's the smallest one!

Basic guide to CPU's!

What do they look like? If they will look fancy in my build, I would even pay you :P

I'm pretty sure it's the smallest one!

If they are the smalles ones, with the plastic caseing and metal slide cover, then they would be 3.5" floppies, and I definitely have extras of those drives. They're nothing special, the usual beige and black. Some are from Dell OptiPlex machines, so they don't have faceplates. I'll dig them out later this afternoon and take some pictures.

END OF LINE

If they are the smalles ones, with the plastic caseing and metal slide cover, then they would be 3.5" floppies, and I definitely have extras of those drives. They're nothing special, the usual beige and black. Some are from Dell OptiPlex machines, so they don't have faceplates. I'll dig them out later this afternoon and take some pictures.

I can get diskette's from Germany, so I only need a drive to put it into :P

Thanks already!

Basic guide to CPU's!