Best Buy Geek Squad

xrex64

Has anyone ever worked for the Geek Squad at Best Buy? 

Long story short, I just applied and I'm wondering how it is. Thanks. 

Also, let me know if you have any other Best Buy job experiences I should know about. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Also, let me know if you have any other Best Buy job experiences I should know about. 

Please, be the change... Geek squad has never been of help to me and always came up with an reason why they need more money.

Please, be the change... Geek squad has never been of help to me and always came up with an reason why they need more money.

Exactly. I honestly wish I could tell them this in my application; that I sincerely want to help them out and fix their negative rep. 

† TTCF Member †

Exactly. I honestly wish I could tell them this in my application; that I sincerely want to help them out and fix their negative rep. 

I wish you great luck and any positive change you can enact, thank you. :) I don't want hate Best Buy because it's my local hardware store, but I've been ripped off so much in the past years that saying Geek Squad and Best Buy in general is a great place to shop for computer parts would be a lie. It's nice to see someone with intentions of fixing something rather than following what they were trained to say to get the company more money.

I don't work for geek squad but I will tell you this.

DO NOT GET A JOB HELPING PEOPLE WITH SOMETHING YOU ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE IN.

The amount of stupid questions, and assholes who think they know better than you, and people who think you can solve things without knowing anything about it, are incomprehensible. I work retail and I literally stopped keeping up with everything, just so I don't know the answers to questions.

Unless you have really good people skills don't do it.

I don't work for geek squad but I will tell you this.

DO NOT GET A JOB HELPING PEOPLE WITH SOMETHING YOU ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE IN.

The amount of stupid questions, and assholes who think they know better than you, and people who think you can solve things without knowing anything about it, are incomprehensible. I work retail and I literally stopped keeping up with everything, just so I don't know the answers to questions.

Unless you have really good people skills don't do it.

I can see that being extremely frustrating, but I'd rather do it than some repetitive job that bores me. 

† TTCF Member †

Heyyo,

Pfft, maybe Geek Squad is shit in the States, but in Canada at least for their subsidiary Futureshop where I worked as Connect Pro I fixed shit...

Then again, the Best Buy Geek Squad at the time couldn't figure out why a guy's email stopped working on his PC after he got it setup with his carrier on his phone... I checked his phone and surely enough they changed his email from POP to IMAP... took me a few minutes to tweak settings on his Notebook and he was good to go. He asked me how much was I going to charge him and I said nothing, I fixed it in less than five minutes I don't care lol. He said Geek Squad couldn't figure it out after half a day with his unit and charged him a diagnostic fee saying the problem was with his carrier and he would need to contact them. :P

He told me he would only ever come to Futureshop from that day forward and never visit a Best Buy again... problem now is during this little recession is that Best Buy LTD (the parent company) shut down all Futureshop stores in Canada in cities where there was a Best Buy.. ones without a Best Buy got converted... but such is life.

So... I wouldn't necessarily say Geek Squad is full of noobs? But they are prone to having noobs especially compared to smaller computer shops.

I don't work there anymore (obviously) but I left Futureshop Connect Pro about four years ago. One technician we had was a noob had I'd say a 70% diagnostics and repair success rate... one thing he didn't do that also really pissed me off? Is if he diagnosed it as "can't replicate issue" or "no fault found"? He wouldn't try some basic software repair steps for if he could replicate the issue. Instead he would write notes on the workorder for "if you have the issue bring it back please."... I would say "hey I couldn't replicate the issue but I tried this and this. If that doesn't work bring it back and I can try this or this..." something like that eh? Showed I gave a shit about every unit. Say something like that in your interview and ya might even impress the guy btw. ;)

I will say this though, working at Futureshop Connect Pro did give me better people skills and dealing with pissed off customers in order to provide good customer service. I feel like it also helped me multitask a little better since I tend to be quite single-track minded when I work on things. :P

It's definitely a learning experience if you give a crap about the job and definitely with the attitude of improving things? You would be a good asset. If I was still a tech lead? I'd give you a shot tbh. Attitude is probably more important than technical skill, that comes in time anyways if you're a fresh computer technician.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I work there, and I have to say given the tools we have at our disposal the team that I work with are some of the best technicians I have ever met. Not all GS are the same though but my GS kicks ass! 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I work there, and I have to say given the tools we have at our disposal the team that I work with are some of the best technicians I have ever met. Not all GS are the same though but my GS kicks ass! 

Do you think I have any chance getting the job as a 16 year old? I definitely feel I can benefit the company as well. if not better than other Geek Squad employees from experiences. 

† TTCF Member †

In the corporate world you will only advance by increasing the bottom line. The sad REAL truth. Why do you think that they "pad" everything and make it seem like you need a new this or that and you pay for unnecessary crap. 

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

In the corporate world you will only advance by increasing the bottom line. The sad REAL truth. Why do you think that they "pad" everything and make it seem like you need a new this or that and you pay for unnecessary crap.

This is why I see paying people on commission is a fucking joke.

Do you think I have any chance getting the job as a 16 year old? I definitely feel I can benefit the company as well. if not better than other Geek Squad employees from experiences. 

You can't get a job there at that age, you have to sign documents with clients and deal with data privacy. You can't do that as a minor :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

You can't get a job there at that age, you have to sign documents with clients and deal with data privacy. You can't do that as a minor :)

It said I could be. Seems odd. 

† TTCF Member †

I will only allow you to work for Geek Squad if you swear on a stack of Bibles, your unborn child's life, and Chuck Norris' beard that you will be a compitent tech and not be an ass-brain moron like everyone else that works there. Every single time I have talked to one of those guys, they have absolutely no clue about anything. Every time they opened their mouths it was a shockwave of stupidity that reverberated through the store and dropped everyone's IQs by at least 10 points.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

have to be 18 to work at best buy.

my local geek squad is great. I went in because I need a laptop for college, I started talking my options of just going high end vs cheap laptop+desktop, the guy asked if I didn't mind waiting a bit, because all the geek squad people build their own pcs vs just buying prebuilts, so he had them come over. had a really great discussion. they actually knew just as much about hardware as I did. was very proud

Don't get caught.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro