Monarch - A Gaming PC Build Log

Mayhemster

post-171392-0-62791600-1433350980_zpswbb

~ Banner courtesy of @aamirilliyas123 ~

Hi all,

I'm new to the community here and want to start with a thank you to everyone here. I recently complete my build list and will be putting the fallowing computer together. I have experience upgrading parts in PCs, but this will be my first fully custom build. The community here was awesome and helped me make my decisions on what I wanted to put in my PC.

Current State:

2015-06-03%2022.19.45_zpssxo4iqbb.jpg

List:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_OR 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($82.51 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1227.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 14:19 EDT-0400

Project Name:

Monarch

Goals:

Main: Build a computer that I could play 1080p games on at a consistent 60fps
Secondary: Build a PC that allows me to get experience with over clocking
Tertiary: Upgradable, more on this later, but I wanted to focus on "good bones" so I could keep upgrading as funds and my experience increase

Story:

As mentioned, this is my first attempt at a fully custom PC. I have a core idea of what I want to accomplish. This is what generated the original parts lis. After that, I found the NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) and fell in love. I have seen so many PC's with the blue and red themes, and they look great. I wanted something that, for me, was a little different. I know this isn’t the first or only orange build, but it seems less common. I have to imagine this is true because it was much more difficult to find matching parts for everything.

The most difficult form me find was actually the RAM. I know you can orange RAM without too much searching, but I really liked the way the Avexir Core Series looked. The LED lighting on the top has a cool, be muted look to it. Unfortunately, it seemed to only be available in the aforementioned red and blue, at least in the states. But! I am happy to say I did find a seller on eBay that had orange, in Italy. This did limit me to 2 8g 1600 sticks, but that is fine.

With all of the parts selected and ordered we are off to the races. I will be receiving everything today and probably one or two tomorrow and will be updating with (hopefully) videos of the build, and also pictures.

Part Selection:

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card

This seemed to be the best rout at this point. I was fairly set on the GTX 970 and this model seems to be the best for overclocking from what I could find. My biggest issue is going to be the blue LED logo, but I think this might actually pop nicely over the orange backdrop. We will see. I know I can do a custom LED swap if needed at a later date.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Again, seems to be a good processor for overclocking and gaming. I would have preferred to go with an i7 as I do more than just game on this PC. But, as the focus was on gaming, I put the money into the GPU instead. Besides, as I haven’t done any over clocking before, and would rather wreck an i5 then an i7 (knock on wood). If this becomes an issue, I can always upgrade at a later date. The i5 will get me where I want to go for now.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

It’s ORANGE. Really, after deciding I wanted to go with a Z97X for over clocking I didn’t care about much else. I would have preferred to go with an Asus, but that is for my next project ;) (fingers crossed) . From what I can tell, this is still a great mother board, probably better than the Asus I was looking at. It also supports SLI which is something I want to do at some point.

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_OR 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler

This is where things get a little tricky. I could have gone with a AIO cooler for this system, but I really want to do a custom water loop system at some point (budget, time, ect). This computer has the option to be very nice, and quite. This cooler has a low dBs rating AND it orange. I am concerned that it will be too bulky and ruin the look of the build, but we will see. This part is slated for future up grade, one way or another. Besides, I want to learn over clocking on a fan cooled unit before I switch to water cooled so I can experience first hand what, if any, the differences are.

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

A simple SSD, just went with whatever. I have an SSD on my laptop and I don’t think I can go back now :D. I will add a mechanical HD later for mass storage.

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

A solid PSU and it is modular. I went with 650 watts because I want to have some room to grow and not worry about maxing it out. I don’t like to run PSU past 80% as I feel they are much better if they are “coasting”. It’s more for head room then anything, and I wanted modular, ’cause

Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Beautiful, windowed, and flexible. This really was the lynch pin that made a lot of my other choices for me. I love the esthetic, plus it’s very versatile. I really appreciate the way that the colors are pronounced, but again, subtle. If this case had any more orange on it, I feel it would look to… aggressive? I don’t know – just – not for me. This one is perfect for my tastes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will update as things come in and progress is made. Thanks again to this awesome community, feel free to comment below if you have any thoughts or suggestions. I posted this here to share, but also to learn. Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

First night of building - 5.28.2015

PARTS!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2018.43.14_zpszizy23bv.jpg

Really fun build so far. The case looks as good as I hoped, and was really easy to work with
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.16.20_zpsfknenhu0.jpg

The pain does flake when you install the PSU screw. I would probably use plastic washers next time
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.33_zpsgdaaqdrk.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.45_zpsn5b4otbz.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.04.39_zpscehzg9es.jpg

I did have some confusion on the processor. I thought the 1 pin triangle would be on the board, but its on the cap. It took me a few minutes to figure out is all.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.36.58_zpsou6ialyc.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.36.58_zpsou6ialyc.jpg

Its all up and running!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.52.53_zpsjf3rcjoy.jpg

Nothing else connected yet, but its all connected and powering, so good enough for tonight.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.51.44_zpsje8ztsbq.jpg

(UPDATE) Phan mod and installation 6.3.2015

PHANS!

See what I did there ^^^^^^^ No? ok – moving on

SO, I got the Phanteks (get it NOW?) heat sink installed.

2015-05-30%2017.31.31_zps1kjqocx2.jpg

It actually has way more room where it goes over the RAM then I thought it would

2015-05-30%2016.48.54_zpso3mbhxjk.jpg

I don’t think you could fit dominator RAM in there, but I shouldn’t have any issues with the Avexir RAM I got.

Even so, I cannot let those sweet LED lit ram sticks (coming soon) be covered by the phans (last time, promis xD ) so I moved those into a pull configuration. After doing some benchmarking in aida64 to confirm they preform just as well, they do, there was just one thing left to do.

2015-06-01%2017.40.54_zpstsykquyo.jpg

FIX THE DAMN WHITE CASES!!!!!!

I really don’t know what Phantek was thinking. The colored blades and heat fins look amazing, but the white just wrecks the whole thing. And if you doubt, just see how BEAUTIFUL they are in a nice  flat black

2015-06-03%2010.59.50_zpsj3mougfh.jpg

a45bec03-e5da-4572-a5f8-31d025bf5d4f_zps

Soooooooo smExy

Back in the case, I also moved the graphics card down one slot for a more balanced look.

~~

Im sooo happy with this mod. The fans ( see ) look really good in black

2015-06-03%2011.13.39_zpspmadtacs.jpg

And the fins just stick out enough that they have a good subtle detail.

2015-06-03%2011.13.48_zpsdx30x27r.jpg

All closed up, and looking good!

every good build log needs pictures?

every good build log needs pictures?

I know! I’m sorry - I will honestly have them up tonight. I'm siting this at work atm lol - so I don’t have anything to take a picture of :P 

I do like an orange build, let us know how you find the case, I thought of replacing my CM690 II with the 440. Just hunting builds that are using it though.

I do like an orange build, let us know how you find the case, I thought of replacing my CM690 II with the 440. Just hunting builds that are using it though.

Absolutely - will do!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have lift off!

Powered on and stable

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.52.53_zpsjf3rcjoy.jpg

Nothing hooked up yet, but its on!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.51.44_zpsje8ztsbq.jpg

I only had a few hour after work tonight to get things going. the RAM i ordered wont be in for a week or two, so I picked up soothing at a local PC store. I am using my stock heat sink to get things up and running, but I will install the after market one once I have a good base line.

So far I do like the case. Its super stable, all of the panels are rigid and the case is actually weighty. The feet are good and wiring in it has been easy so far.  I haven gotten into my anal wire management yet, so we will see how I feel about that then though.

I will say, it is a mid-tier case.

1. Everything feels a bit too tight, like the paint (which is gorgeous) wasn't quite cured when it got assembled. After removing something once, it goes in and out easily, but everything feels like it needs to be broken free once first.

2. The front and top panel come off, but take a bit of effort. If you pulled them off and on a bunch they would ease up, but I feel like they could wear out over time too. I would have preferred a rubber grommet. Right now they are just plastic fitting compressed with the metal. It is fine though.

3. The paint, as mentioned, is nice - really feels good to the touch and won’t get fingerprints. BUT I don't like the curing process they used. Anywhere that a screw connects with the case causes the paint to flake off. This was most noticeable when screwing in the power supply.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.45_zpsn5b4otbz.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.33_zpsgdaaqdrk.jpg

Over all the rest of the case does feel scratch resident. I don't feel like I need to treat her with kid gloves, and the only place I have had the screws issue has only been on the PSU. I will probably get a metallic touch up paint pen for detail later. I would recommend getting some plastic washers if you go with this case at some point.

~~~~~~~

Over all, this case looks just as good as I hoped and I am really happy with it.

Check mine - link in sig :)

@Mayhemster - looking good :)

@1Scotty1 - Thank you sir! yours looks baller so far. I am now following ;D - That black and white RAM is my favorite touch so far, very classy.

Hi all,I'm new to the community here and want to start with a thank you to everyone here. I recently complete my build list and will be putting the fallowing computer together. I have experience upgrading parts in PCs, but this will be my first fully custom build. The community here was awesome and helped me make my decisions on what I wanted to put in my PC.Current State:2015-05-30%2017.31.31_zpsdc44a5pq.jpgList:PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_OR 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($82.51 @ Amazon)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.98 @ OutletPC)Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($131.98 @ Newegg)Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)Total: $1227.40Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 14:19 EDT-0400Project Name: MonarchGoals:Main: Build a computer that I could play 1080p games on at a consistent 60fpsSecondary: Build a PC that allows me to get experience with over clockingTertiary: Upgradable, more on this later, but I wanted to focus on "good bones" so I could keep upgrading as funds and my experience increaseStory:As mentioned, this is my first attempt at a fully custom PC. I have a core idea of what I want to accomplish. This is what generated the original parts lis. After that, I found the NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) and fell in love. I have seen so many PC's with the blue and red themes, and they look great. I wanted something that, for me, was a little different. I know this isn’t the first or only orange build, but it seems less common. I have to imagine this is true because it was much more difficult to find matching parts for everything.The most difficult form me find was actually the RAM. I know you can orange RAM without too much searching, but I really liked the way the Avexir Core Series looked. The LED lighting on the top has a cool, be muted look to it. Unfortunately, it seemed to only be available in the aforementioned red and blue, at least in the states. But! I am happy to say I did find a seller on eBay that had orange, in Italy. This did limit me to 2 8g 1600 sticks, but that is fine.With all of the parts selected and ordered we are off to the races. I will be receiving everything today and probably one or two tomorrow and will be updating with (hopefully) videos of the build, and also pictures.Part Selection:GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video CardThis seemed to be the best rout at this point. I was fairly set on the GTX 970 and this model seems to be the best for overclocking from what I could find. My biggest issue is going to be the blue LED logo, but I think this might actually pop nicely over the orange backdrop. We will see. I know I can do a custom LED swap if needed at a later date.CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core ProcessorAgain, seems to be a good processor for overclocking and gaming. I would have preferred to go with an i7 as I do more than just game on this PC. But, as the focus was on gaming, I put the money into the GPU instead. Besides, as I haven’t done any over clocking before, and would rather wreck an i5 then an i7 (knock on wood). If this becomes an issue, I can always upgrade at a later date. The i5 will get me where I want to go for now.Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 MotherboardIt’s ORANGE. Really, after deciding I wanted to go with a Z97X for over clocking I didn’t care about much else. I would have preferred to go with an Asus, but that is for my next project ;) (fingers crossed) . From what I can tell, this is still a great mother board, probably better than the Asus I was looking at. It also supports SLI which is something I want to do at some point.CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_OR 78.1 CFM CPU CoolerThis is where things get a little tricky. I could have gone with a AIO cooler for this system, but I really want to do a custom water loop system at some point (budget, time, ect). This computer has the option to be very nice, and quite. This cooler has a low dBs rating AND it orange. I am concerned that it will be too bulky and ruin the look of the build, but we will see. This part is slated for future up grade, one way or another. Besides, I want to learn over clocking on a fan cooled unit before I switch to water cooled so I can experience first hand what, if any, the differences are.Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State DriveA simple SSD, just went with whatever. I have an SSD on my laptop and I don’t think I can go back now :D. I will add a mechanical HD later for mass storage.Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power SupplyA solid PSU and it is modular. I went with 650 watts because I want to have some room to grow and not worry about maxing it out. I don’t like to run PSU past 80% as I feel they are much better if they are “coasting”. It’s more for head room then anything, and I wanted modular, ’causeCase: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower CaseBeautiful, windowed, and flexible. This really was the lynch pin that made a lot of my other choices for me. I love the esthetic, plus it’s very versatile. I really appreciate the way that the colors are pronounced, but again, subtle. If this case had any more orange on it, I feel it would look to… aggressive? I don’t know – just – not for me. This one is perfect for my tastes.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I will update as things come in and progress is made. Thanks again to this awesome community, feel free to comment below if you have any thoughts or suggestions. I posted this here to share, but also to learn. Your advice is welcome and appreciated.(UPDATE) First night of building - 5.28.2015

PARTS!http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2018.43.14_zpszizy23bv.jpgReally fun build so far. The case looks as good as I hoped, and was really easy to work withhttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.16.20_zpsfknenhu0.jpgThe pain does flake when you install the PSU screw. I would probably use plastic washers next timehttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.33_zpsgdaaqdrk.jpghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.14.45_zpsn5b4otbz.jpghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2022.04.39_zpscehzg9es.jpgI did have some confusion on the processor. I thought the 1 pin triangle would be on the board, but its on the cap. It took me a few minutes to figure out is all.http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.36.58_zpsou6ialyc.jpghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2021.36.58_zpsou6ialyc.jpgIts all up and running!http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.52.53_zpsjf3rcjoy.jpgNothing else connected yet, but its all connected and powering, so good enough for tonight.http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/Mayhemster/Monarch%20PC%20Build/Monarch%20PC%20Build%20-%20Parts/2015-05-28%2023.51.44_zpsje8ztsbq.jpg
Dude I made a banner for you.

Maybe you could edit your post and add this if you like it?

post-171392-0-62791600-1433350980.jpg

I create free buildlog banners.Want one? Go to my shop http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/378798-free-buildlog-banner-shop/#entry5119483

PHANS!

See what I did there ^^^^^^^ No? ok – moving on

SO, I got the Phanteks (get it NOW?) heat sink installed.

2015-05-30%2017.31.31_zps1kjqocx2.jpg

It actually has way more room where it goes over the RAM then I thought it would

2015-05-30%2016.48.54_zpso3mbhxjk.jpg

I don’t think you could fit dominator RAM in there, but I shouldn’t have any issues with the Avexir RAM I got.

Even so, I cannot let those sweet LED lit ram sticks (coming soon) be covered by the phans (last time, promis xD ) so I moved those into a pull configuration. After doing some benchmarking in aida64 to confirm they preform just as well, they do, there was just one thing left to do.

2015-06-01%2017.40.54_zpstsykquyo.jpg

FIX THE DAMN WHITE CASES!!!!!!

I really don’t know what Phantek was thinking. The colored blades and heat fins look amazing, but the white just wrecks the whole thing. And if you doubt, just see how BEAUTIFUL they are in a nice  flat black

2015-06-03%2010.59.50_zpsj3mougfh.jpg

a45bec03-e5da-4572-a5f8-31d025bf5d4f_zps

Soooooooo smExy

Back in the case, I also moved the graphics card down one slot for a more balanced look.

~~

Im sooo happy with this mod. The fans ( see ) look really good in black

2015-06-03%2011.13.39_zpspmadtacs.jpg

And the fins just stick out enough that they have a good subtle detail.

2015-06-03%2011.13.48_zpsdx30x27r.jpg

All closed up, and looking good!

Looking at a blue/black build, I heard the nerds dig those... :D @Mayhemster

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

Looking pretty good though, should last you for a few years. :) (Couldn't edit previous post, on phone, got a vacation in Bali at the moment)

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.