Death of technology magazines

linuxfan66

In Australia the four top tech magazines seem to husks of what they were

Apc judging by their website looks half dead

PC user is now a general magazine called tech life

PC authority is now a more casual magazine called pc & tech authority

Pc world was almost never thing for me as a magazine.

I am biased?

Is it just as bad overseas?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Yep. Magazines in general are having a very hard time. Ad pages are dropping, content is difficult to get -- the "news" is stale, the products already showcased a long time ago, unique content is expensive.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Most popular newspaper in my country is a webpage. So how can a magazine survive.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

SNIP

Nobody buys and reads newspapers and magazines so thats why

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yup, no more cutting trees.

Hold on, i go check how many old pc mags i have and see what would i be  able to afford if i havent bought them, brb, counting.

Edit:

300 euros... :wacko:

Yup, seems like dem good old magazines are dying out ...

Current PC broken, saving up atm.
Reason for saving up ->

I found a fun read when I had them... Oh the nostalgia

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Magazines as a whole are dying where I live.

One Nintendo gaming magazine I was subscribed to, shut down. I was transferred to a different gaming magazine and that one almost shut down.

RIP magazines as a whole

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"print" takes too long. the internet has made every form of magazine nearly obsolete

in the US, MaximumPC used to be great - but I don't know if it's because I'm just older/smarter these days, or they've gotten worse - but I can't stand any of their content anymore. So many of them just seem out of touch with current trends and tech -> most evident in their youtube channel. their youtube quality is awful (what most magazines are switching too these days) and their podcasts are not very intelligent discussions at all

"print" takes too long. the internet has made every form of magazine nearly obsolete

in the US, MaximumPC used to be great - but I don't know if it's because I'm just older/smarter these days, or they've gotten worse - but I can't stand any of their content anymore. So many of them just seem out of touch with current trends and tech -> most evident in their youtube channel. their youtube quality is awful (what most magazines are switching too these days) and their podcasts are not very intelligent discussions at all

That reminds of a magazine called atomic vaguely

I used to subscribe to Maxmium PC on Google Play, but my dad cancelled it because it took forever to download.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I miss a few magazines. Sport Compact Car being at the top of the list.

Magazines are soon going to be a thing of the past. Printed media in general is really struggling right now. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Youtube and tech sites have become easier channel to both content creators and readers to get the latest. And not to wait 1 whole month for it, or pay high price for it. While magazines could go deeper into use and quality of products, and be imo nicer to read compared to most website reviews, its still going out of main user base which is relative young.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If people are getting this information other ways, they're just going to have to innovate. What can a magazine with that much capital and resources do that the typical small tech blog or reviewer do? I don't know the answer, but I think if they're smart they can survive. They will certainly start to look different though.

Guys you can always read Cosmopolitan. 14 ways to please your man, 11 of which are not painful!

In Australia the four top tech magazines seem to husks of what they were

Apc judging by their website looks half dead

PC user is now a general magazine called tech life

PC authority is now a more casual magazine called pc & tech authority

Pc world was almost never thing for me as a magazine.

I am biased?

Is it just as bad overseas?

AtomicMPC.com.au was the one I enjoyed from Year 2000 onwards and have a lot of their magz still, but a few years ago, it merged or got bought out,... it all went to shit...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Guys you can always read Cosmopolitan. 14 ways to please your man, 11 of which are not painful!

you mean 11 of which destroy your relationship or cause injury right?

AtomicMPC.com.au was the one I enjoyed from Year 2000 onwards and have a lot of their magz still, but a few years ago, it merged or got bought out,... it all went to shit...

Why did happen to Atomic as they were never my kind of magazine when i read one issue of it.

If people are getting this information other ways, they're just going to have to innovate. What can a magazine with that much capital and resources do that the typical small tech blog or reviewer do? I don't know the answer, but I think if they're smart they can survive. They will certainly start to look different though.

Are you a parody ThioJoe account?

Nobody buys and reads newspapers and magazines so thats why

For local news, yeah people still do. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

For local news, yeah people still do. 

Less and less as time goes on

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/10/national-daily-newspapers-lose-more-than-half-a-million-readers-in-past-year

7.6% in one year, some up to nearly 10% drop in audience - its still going ok, but less and less people are buying newspapers every year

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Tech magazines got taken over by tech forums like this. With tech articles being posted all the time by what it seems to be only victorious secret and Ah ming

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

The internet is much more accountable. When a tech magazine blows smoke and you know it you maybe wrote a letter to the editor. Maybe others say an edited version of your comment. Maximum PC found out that when they wrote Obummer fanboy articles of the FCC takeover of the internet and free speech. The comments section became a well deserved flamethrower. It is interesting to note that tech talk radio is doing fine. Kim Kommando is still the Rush Limbaugh of tech and as popular as ever. Talk radio, youtube and the internet forums will continue to thrive cause of their accountability. Network News is a joke and most tech magazines are going the way of the NYTimes, also a joke. Gun magazines and car magazines are still flourishing so it is not the magazine format that is to blame. It's content and honesty. Rush Limbaugh is honest about who he and where he is coming from. I am an AMD Fanboy. Fanboy is capitalized cause I was dumb enough to buy AMD stock. If someone says there an intel fan I respect that. If someone says you need an i5 and hes just informed and objective I don't respect that.

Am I the only one that actually enjoys reading tech magazines? Seriously, sometimes I prefer them over online articles.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.