CPU fused to heatsink, badly

Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

no sliding even? Twisting is out of the question then

ok, well remember, if you try to pry it, put the pressure on the heat plate, and try to equalize it from all side if you can. In the very least, make sure what you are wedging with has a large surface area: don't use a flat screwdriver, but something much wider in order to not focus the pressure on one spot 

Heating it up a bit with a hairdryer might help 

I tried to gently remove my heatsink from my cpu, pulled it with the cpu completely, no pins were bend luckily. The model is a Phenom II x4 955, what do I do to take it apart from the heatsink (it is stock). I have tried everything, nothing works

Ps. I didnt build the PC so I dont know what compound the builder used. Thanks!

pull harder with a twist 

also try do it with the cpu being held down in the socket

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

honestly at that point id take a knife or something and slice them apart LOL :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I took my Athlon 64 off with a chisel and hammer

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Try to run the CPU and while it is hot, open up the case and try it then...

There's always a way...

no sliding even? Twisting is out of the question then

ok, well remember, if you try to pry it, put the pressure on the heat plate, and try to equalize it from all side if you can. In the very least, make sure what you are wedging with has a large surface area: don't use a flat screwdriver, but something much wider in order to not focus the pressure on one spot 

Heating it up a bit with a hairdryer might help 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's likely just the thermal compound, I've had that happen many times. Just use force, twist and pull at the same time until it's off.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

If you can put it back into the socket, run a stress test to heat up the thermal compound then try prying it off.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

pull harder with a twist 

already tried twisting and pulling, it wont move a milimeter, also i cannot put back the cpu to the mobo, it cannot be done with the retention arm down and the heatsink wont let me pull it.

honestly at that point id take a knife or something and slice them apart LOL :P

already tried the knife thing with a cutter, it wont work, the thermal compound became adamantium...

already tried twisting and pulling, it wont move a milimeter, also i cannot put back the cpu to the mobo, it cannot be done with the retention arm down and the heatsink wont let me pull it.

already tried the knife thing with a cutter, it wont work, the thermal compound became adamantium...

o shit LOL WTF ummm idk what to do from there, melt it off somehow? irdk man youre runnin out of options here

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If you can put it back into the socket, run a stress test to heat up the thermal compound then try prying it off.

what this guy said. heat that shit up then take it off. 

TWIST THEM.

This happened when I was first putting the H80i on my 8320. When taking the stock cooler off my chip I literally ripped it right out of the mobo socket.

Just twist back and forth.

If you really need to CAREFULLY use a blow dryer or heat gun to warm up and soften up the thermal paste.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

pull harder with a twist 

am3 will rip right out, clamped or not. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Use some elbow grease. Don't be afraid of breaking anything... just do your best to keep the CPU pins safe. Screw the cooler, but it's very unlikely to damage. Heatsinks are pretty meaty.

Linus had the same problem here:CPU Cooling - Does temperature impact performance?:

He just twisted the CPU until it came out

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

I tried to gently remove my heatsink from my cpu, pulled it with the cpu completely, no pins were bend luckily. The model is a Phenom II x4 955, what do I do to take it apart from the heatsink (it is stock). I have tried everything, nothing works

Ps. I didnt build the PC so I dont know what compound the builder used. Thanks!

reattach the cooler to the motherboard and download Aida 64 and force your fan mode to medium or low and get the cpu warmed up on the stress test for 15-10 minutes. Then afterward try taking the cooler off again, using both a twist motion and a side to side motion to loosen the paste.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Linus had the same problem here:CPU Cooling - Does temperature impact performance?

He just twisted the CPU until it came out

You have no idea what you are talking about

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Take a dropper and put some 99% isopropyl alcohol onto the heatsink and let it loosen up the compound a bit, and then use a PLASTIC flat tool to slowly push it side to side, adding more isopropyl alcohol as you go.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I resolved this by using a flat screwdriver and I twisted it between the HSF and the CPU. Worked great and my pc is safe, thanks again!