Cryptologists, i need you

waggythegeek

What is the source?  Do we even know if it is solvable? 

The first thing you need to crack any code is knowledge that something is being communicated.

I just realized that I didn't try negative values when brute forcing, but none of the tools I find online work with negative values.

because +14 = -12, +15 = -11 and so on, it just wraps around

because +14 = -12, +15 = -11 and so on, it just wraps around

Yeah, I realized that.

Xvsnqof h zygeavfyhc ujqzj pxkx h xqcesk xpwxaqapaqvo zqejky uqaj eko hol eheky, yhajky ajho pxqof ho vosqok avvs, qx ova ehyaqzpshysg lqttqzpsa. Qo h fkvzhzjqof epbbsk qo ajqx hykh qa uqss eyvwhwsg wkfqo uqaj ovyaj tvyag xknko lkfykkx ajykk tvpy. Ajk skaaky ehaakyox vt xknko hol ajykk hyk lqxaqozaqnk. Qa jksex av pxk h ikg, tqssqof qo skaakyx hx ajkg hyk qlkoaqtqkl. Ajk ikg zho wk xvyakl hsejhwkaqzhssg wg eshqo akma vy zqejky akma

Solving a cryptogram which uses a simple substitution cipher with pen and paper, rather than using an online tool, is not particularly difficult. In a geocaching puzzle in this area it will probably begin with north forty seven degrees three four. The letter patterns of seven and three are distinctive. It helps to use a key, filling in letters as they are identified. The key can be sorted alphabetically by plain text or cipher text

Thats a solution but as said by the solution not the right solution.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

tried that. first word made no sense.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Do you have more text? Can't find any distinct patterns

heard some concern on what you are cracking might be bank info, so here's what you are cracking:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5K5Z7_old-school-solve?guid=f38bd150-33da-4256-8c37-33967dbd68a5

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Do you have more text? Can't find any distinct patterns

I just tried brute forcing it (number 0-25) and this doesn't seem to be rotation based.

@waggythegeek Do you have a keyword or something?

no keyword, no more text. sorry...

Cipher text:

Svsnqof h zygeavfyhc ujqzj pxkx h xqcesk xpwxaqapaqvo zqejky uqaj eko hol eheky, yhajky ajho pxqof ho vosqok avvs, qx ova ehyaqzpshysg lqttqzpsa. Io h fkvzhzjqof epbbsk qo ajqx hykh qa uqss eyvwhwsg wkfqo uqaj ovyaj tvyag xknko lkfykkx ajykk tvpy. Tjk skaaky ehaakyox vt xknko hol ajykk hyk lqxaqozaqnk. Ia jksex av pxk h ikg, tqssqof qo skaakyx hx ajkg hyk qlkoaqtqkl. Tjk ikg zho wk xvyakl hsejhwkaqzhssg wg eshqo akma vy zqejky akma.

Substitution cipher:

|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x|y|z|

|t|z|m|j|p|g|y|a|k|h|e|d|x|v|n|u|i|q|l|f|w|o|b|s|r|c|

Sort alphabetically by bottom row.

|h|w|z|l|k|t|f|j|q|d|i|s|c|o|v|e|r|y|x|a|p|n|u|m|g|B|

|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x|y|z|

Key word is DISCOVERY

Plain text answer:

Solving a cryptogram which uses a simple substitution cipher with pen and paper, rather than using an online tool, is not particularly difficult. In a geocaching puzzle in this area it will probably begin with north forty seven degrees three four. The letter patterns of seven and three are distinctive. It helps to use a key, filling in letters as they are identified. The key can be sorted alphabetically by plain text or cipher text.

I solved it by plotting frequency of letters as @LoneRangerS suggests on the previous page. Then just substitute letter by letter by looking for likely words.

MATLAB script I wrote, if anyone is interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iasfl8pt38vhw9/Cipher.m?dl=0

In a geocaching puzzle in this area it will probably begin with north forty seven degrees three four.

That's obvious

The letter patterns of seven and three are distinctive.

The question is where to finds these patterns

It helps to use a key, filling in letters as they are identified.

I don't understand that

The key can be sorted alphabetically by plain text or cipher text

This key?

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

Can somebody figure that out?

Substitution cipher:

Answer:

I solved it by plotting frequency of letters as @LoneRangerS suggests on the previous page. Then just substitute letter by letter by looking for likely words.

MATLAB script I wrote, if anyone is interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iasfl8pt38vhw9/Cipher.m?dl=0

Nice work. 

Dictionary based substitution attack is included in cryptool2. One click and it is decrypted.

Dictionary based substitution attack is included in cryptool2. One click and it is decrypted.

As the solution says "Solving a cryptogram which uses a simple substitution cipher with pen and paper, rather than using an online tool, is not particularly difficult."  :P

As the solution says "Solving a cryptogram which uses a simple substitution cipher with pen and paper, rather than using an online tool, is not particularly difficult."  :P

That's why we should solve the actual puzzle

so the keyword is discovery. sweet.