1440P or 4K?

Roughryder69

Ah, I'm an 970 SLI owner too! great arent they?

Sounds to me, like you want the 34" curved. You arent doing competitive gaming, where you need that super fast response times. The dell is huge and beautiful, and it looks very impressive sitting on your desk. 

If I was you, judging from your last comment, pull the trigger and get the big, bad, curved, IPS. :D

i think i will then, thanks for helping me :D 

the 970 SLI is really awesome too, i haven't regretted my purchase of them at all and they will do me for quite some time!

4k!own one and love it. enough said

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

4k!own one and love it. enough said

how are you playing 4K on a GTX 770? the frames would be terrible... like i said i have a Titan X which is able to pull of 60 frames on a few games(BF4,COD etc) , while others i get 30-50frames (shadow of mordor, farcry 4 etc)... i see you got a gsync monitor which would help it when it dips below,

but imagen if other games get released which needs even more power for 4K. so its rather i get a 1440P to keep high frames which will save me money, just jump straight to 4K with an SLI titan X with above 60 frames (MAX SETTINGS)... or just get 1440P or stay at 1080 and wait till next year for Pascal get released and then move to 4k.

then again i care about performance and quality, so if needed, im willing to pull the trigger and get SLI Titan X + 4K to keep high frames at max settings

how are you playing 4K on a GTX 770? the frames would be terrible... like i said i have a Titan X which is able to pull of 60 frames on a few games(BF4,COD etc) , while others i get 30-50frames (shadow of mordor, farcry 4 etc)... i see you got a gsync monitor which would help it when it dips below,

but imagen if other games get released which needs even more power for 4K. so its rather i get a 1440P to keep high frames which will save me money, just jump straight to 4K with an SLI titan X with above 60 frames (MAX SETTINGS)... or just get 1440P or stay at 1080 and wait till next year for Pascal get released and then move to 4k.

GTA V at 4k on all high settings I average 65fps.

battlefield 4 and hardline I get about 50fps on medium high settings.

neither experience I'd consider terrible..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

A 27" 1440p display is an amazing boost in screen real-estate if you're upgrading from anything below 1080p. If you afford 4k you should do it, especially with that card.

Git Gud.

GTA V at 4k on all high settings I average 65fps.

battlefield 4 and hardline I get about 50fps on medium high settings.

neither experience I'd consider terrible..

hmm but then again i care about performance and quality, so if needed, im willing to pull the trigger and get SLI Titan X + 4K to keep high frames at max settings

hmm but then again i care about performance and quality, so if needed, im willing to pull the trigger and get SLI Titan X + 4K to keep high frames at max settings

I'm only keeping my 770 till either the 980ti or 390x emerge and then I'll sli or cfx them. the titan x is a waste of money in the UK so I'm not bothering.

its $999 which should be about £640 but instead it's £900.. the price premium would kill any performance gained over a 980ti in theory!

I'm only keeping my 770 till either the 980ti or 390x emerge and then I'll sli or cfx them. the titan x is a waste of money in the UK so I'm not bothering.

its $999 which should be about £640 but instead it's £900.. the price premium would kill any performance gained over a 980ti in theory!

True, but your paying what you get.. i think that the 980TI would not be as good as the Titan X but it'll be almost there. also the price for the 980 TI would be between the 980 + the titan so about £650... but the extra Vram i get on the Titan is fantastic because most games are becoming Vram hungry

hard to decide really, i have the money to spend so im not worried that much. also pascal is meant to be 10X faster then Maxwell (which they say more like 5X), so if two sli titan is gonna struggle to keep 4k fps stable, id rather just get a 1440P and wait till the next gen, where that would be easier to hit 4K at a much higher frame rate

True, but your paying what you get.. i think that the 980TI would not be as good as the Titan X but it'll be almost there. also the price for the 980 TI would be between the 980 + the titan so about £650... but the extra Vram i get on the Titan is fantastic because most games are becoming Vram hungry

hard to decide really, i have the money to spend so im not worried that much. also pascal is meant to be 10X faster then Maxwell (which they say more like 5X), so if two sli titan is gonna struggle to keep 4k fps stable, id rather just get a 1440P and wait till the next gen, where that would be easier to hit 4K at a much higher frame rate

lol I'm not worried about the cost either I could 4 way sli Titans in a heart beat, but I just begrudge paying the premium that we in the UK get slapped with. if i wanted sli Titans it would be cheaper for me to fly to america and buy them and return than it would be just to order them online.

the 12gb frame buffer is massively over kill though. no game in the next 4 years will use that and even if it did the gpu would be it's own bottleneck.

if the 390x specs are as true as the rumours I'll happily pay £900 for a card.

I got a personal email from amd regarding my concerns of a 390x having 4gb vram (which it will) and this is their response:

Adam Wilkins, have a read of this article. "If you actually look at frame buffers and how efficient they are and how efficient the drivers are at managing capacities across the resolutions, you'll find that there's a lot that can be done. We do not see 4GB as a limitation that would cause performance bottlenecks. We just need to do a better job managing the capacities. We were getting free capacity, because with [GDDR5] in order to get more bandwidth we needed to make the memory system wider, so the capacities were increasing. As engineers, we always focus on where the bottleneck is. If you're getting capacity, you don't put as much effort into better utilising that capacity. 4GB is more than sufficient. We've had to go do a little bit of investment in order to better utilise the frame buffer, but we're not really seeing a frame buffer capacity [problem]. You'll be blown away by how much [capacity] is wasted." http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/05/the-tech-behind-hbm-why-amds-high-bandwidth-memory-matters/2/

so soon maybe 4gb will be way more than enough with HBM on the cards.

lol I'm not worried about the cost either I could 4 way sli Titans in a heart beat, but I just begrudge paying the premium that we in the UK get slapped with. if i wanted sli Titans it would be cheaper for me to fly to america and buy them and return than it would be just to order them online.

the 12gb frame buffer is massively over kill though. no game in the next 4 years will use that and even if it did the gpu would be it's own bottleneck.

if the 390x specs are as true as the rumours I'll happily pay £900 for a card.

I got a personal email from amd regarding my concerns of a 390x having 4gb vram (which it will) and this is their response:

Adam Wilkins, have a read of this article. "If you actually look at frame buffers and how efficient they are and how efficient the drivers are at managing capacities across the resolutions, you'll find that there's a lot that can be done. We do not see 4GB as a limitation that would cause performance bottlenecks. We just need to do a better job managing the capacities. We were getting free capacity, because with [GDDR5] in order to get more bandwidth we needed to make the memory system wider, so the capacities were increasing. As engineers, we always focus on where the bottleneck is. If you're getting capacity, you don't put as much effort into better utilising that capacity. 4GB is more than sufficient. We've had to go do a little bit of investment in order to better utilise the frame buffer, but we're not really seeing a frame buffer capacity [problem]. You'll be blown away by how much [capacity] is wasted." http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/05/the-tech-behind-hbm-why-amds-high-bandwidth-memory-matters/2/

so soon maybe 4gb will be way more than enough with HBM on the cards.

IMO i dont think 12GB is a bottleneck, because games are starting to use more, COD AW i was getting about just over 7GB's worth then your gonna need the Vram to push 4K also which will be added ontop also...

but obviously if Titan X or even SLI can last me a good few years to come then ill get a second one on the spot. but if its not going to then ill stick with the single GPU and go for 1440P untill pascal is realsed

IMO i dont think 12GB is a bottleneck, because games are starting to use more, COD AW i was getting about just over 7GB's worth then your gonna need the Vram to push 4K also which will be added ontop also...

but obviously if Titan X or even SLI can last me a good few years to come then ill get a second one on the spot. but if its not going to then ill stick with the single GPU and go for 1440P untill pascal is realsed

yeah I'm saying the opposite. 12gb is massively overkill.

the actually gpus cpu is the bottleneck when it comes to saturating even half that.

HBM is the way forward. vram that's so fast it can do the work of say double it's size in half the time so you basically need to half the current frame buffer.

plus it means much smaller cards. more room for card cooling!

Currently running sli 980s and having no issues with 4k right now.  I would say for most 1440p is the sweet spot for them.  However if you have the money to spare go for 4k.  I made the jump from 1440p to 4k and absolutely love it.  Word of advice though, get a gsync monitor to go with your card.  Even if you don't hit 60fps you won't notice the dips.  I've had instances where my frames would drop to 45 and it still looks as if it's running at 60fps. 

Currently running sli 980s and having no issues with 4k right now.  I would say for most 1440p is the sweet spot for them.  However if you have the money to spare go for 4k.  I made the jump from 1440p to 4k and absolutely love it.  Word of advice though, get a gsync monitor to go with your card.  Even if you don't hit 60fps you won't notice the dips.  I've had instances where my frames would drop to 45 and it still looks as if it's running at 60fps. 

True but its money to waste. i dont exactly want to be paying for 2 way SLI Titan X for it to just be at like 50 frames or lower within the few months... i would rather just get a 1440P and wait till next year for PASCAL to be released with there single GPU cards running at 4k with stable 60+ frames

That's an idea.  However if you keep waiting then you'll never make the purchase.  As for single card 4k, I'll believe it when I see it.

That's an idea.  However if you keep waiting then you'll never make the purchase.  As for single card 4k, I'll believe it when I see it.

use google-youtube? there are some videos at 4K ultra settings (battlefield. call of duty)

use google-youtube? there are some videos at 4K ultra settings (battlefield. call of duty)

I run 4k at ultra, and it requires sli currently to even think about getting 60fps and even then there is going to be stuttering which is where gsync or freesync comes into play.  Hence why I said I'll believe it when I see it when referring to a single card running 4k at 60fps.  Unless of course you're referring to old games which then it'll be easy to do.

If you want to play new games like the Witcher 3 and I'm sure many titles coming later this year 1440p is the better choice. 4K isn't worth having to SLI Titan Xs for. If you will be playing mostly older games 4K is doable but the smart move is to wait for gpu power to increase. According to Nvidia their new architecture will be a huge boost over the current 9 series cards.

I run 4k at ultra, and it requires sli currently to even think about getting 60fps and even then there is going to be stuttering which is where gsync or freesync comes into play. Hence why I said I'll believe it when I see it when referring to a single card running 4k at 60fps. Unless of course you're referring to old games which then it'll be easy to do.

there are other settings in a game other than ultra you know. and selecting these doesn't make a game unplayable..

I can get 60+ fps at 4k on medium high settings on a 2gb gtx 770.. so imagine what a 980 or single titan x can do..

there are other settings in a game other than ultra you know. and selecting these doesn't make a game unplayable..

I can get 60+ fps at 4k on medium high settings on a 2gb gtx 770.. so imagine what a 980 or single titan x can do..

I never said there weren't any other settings.  However I was commenting on your statement when you said "Ultra settings".  But yeah, 4k does require a bit of tweaking due to the amount of power required.  And I did try a single 980 at 1440p and had dips in fps when putting games at the highest settings which is why i have 2 of them.  Based on that I can safely assume that you won't be able to do well at 4k with a single 980 (maybe medium settings).  Not sure about a Titan X though as I haven't owned one of those. 

I never said there weren't any other settings. However I was commenting on your statement when you said "Ultra settings". But yeah, 4k does require a bit of tweaking due to the amount of power required. And I did try a single 980 at 1440p and had dips in fps when putting games at the highest settings which is why i have 2 of them. Based on that I can safely assume that you won't be able to do well at 4k with a single 980 (maybe medium settings). Not sure about a Titan X though as I haven't owned one of those.

I'm along 4k medium with a 770.. a 980 will wipe the floor with my card.

battlefield hardline I get a solid 60fps on high and medium settings, GTA V all high settings I get an average of 55fps, cod:aw on medium high I get 60fps.

so again a 980 will easily be able to play in ultra on these 3 games.. being AAA titles what more can you ask for.

If you want to play new games like the Witcher 3 and I'm sure many titles coming later this year 1440p is the better choice. 4K isn't worth having to SLI Titan Xs for. If you will be playing mostly older games 4K is doable but the smart move is to wait for gpu power to increase. According to Nvidia their new architecture will be a huge boost over the current 9 series cards.

true. i think there new one called 'pascal' would be able to pull it off