eGPU on MacBook w/Windows 8 issue

Xeypax
Go to solution Solved by Dschijn,

Should work after installing the Bootcamp driver…

Please follow this boot process:

- turn on the MB

- hold down the Alt-key until you see the boot selection menu

- now turn on the AKiTiO (TB cable can be plugged in the whole time)

- wait 1-2sec

- boot into windows with the new Optimus boot option

Maybe this video helps a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPKd-YBX_s

First off: I have  an eGPU (external GPU) setup for my 2014 MacBook Air 13" running Bootcamp with Windows 8.1 (64-bit).

My eGPU components:

My issue: I cannot make the GTX 960 run games whilst also displaying them on the MacBook's intregrated display without first hooking it up to an external monitor (using either its HDMI or DVI-I connectors) and using Shift + Win + Left arrow (Borderless Windowed mode in games) to move the game's window from the external monitor over to the integrated one. This gives me a drop in FPS which is around 30%, which I am just fine with. What I am not fine with, is the fact that I always have to connect a physical external monitor in order to play games on the integrated 13" monitor.

What I am looking for is either a way of making this virtual external display duplicate onto the Mac's integrated display OR simply making games launch from the eGPU on the integrated monitor in the first place.

I have tried forcing Windows to display on a 2nd monitor (which isn't physically connected) which is set to the GTX 960 display adapter and performing the Shift + Win + Left arrow procedure, but this solution has its flaws as many games will only launch on the main display, which cannot be the integrated one if I want them take advantage of my eGPU. 

Other things I've tried with no luck whatsoever: 

• Disabling Intel HD Graphics 5000 in Device Manager
  • Launching games on the intergated Mac display and fiddling with video setting in various games.

I have been looking into software online such as iShadow's Virtual Display Manager, but I am not sure if this'll give me a solution to the issue and I'd like to avoid spending $35 on it without knowing if it's gonna help at all.

Any help would be highly appreciated!  :lol:

I cannot make the GTX 960 run games whilst also displaying them on the MacBook's intregrated display…

Just make it clear… you want to mirror the game to display it on both screens the same time?

When you drag the game to the internal display, can you make it fullscreen again?

In general you need the display, which has to run the game the main display in Windows.

The feature you need is Optimus. Maybe you will need to make the adjustments mentioned here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

With the guide I was able to boot into Windows with my eGPU any way (with external display, without external display and only Retina screen).

Edit: How are you powering the AKiTiO itself?

Just make it clear… you want to mirror the game to display it on both screens the same time?

When you drag the game to the internal display, can you make it fullscreen again?

What I currently do is to set the game, let's say Dota 2 as an example, to run in borderless windowed mode in the exact resolution of the Mac's integrated display. I then use Start + Shift + Left Arrow Key to move the window over to the integrated screen from the external one, which is connected to the 960. The taskbar in windows is set to auto-hide btw.

Edit: How are you powering the AKiTiO itself?

The Akitio is powered by the adapter that was included in the box. It's like a laptop charger.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll look into Optimus!  ;)

The Akitio is powered by the adapter that was included in the box. It's like a laptop charger.

Owwwwwwwwwwww… please stop that right away! So you are using two different power supplies? That can really damage your whole setup because of ground loops. Put the AKiTiO PSU far far away and never use it again with your eGPU setup.

You should consider using a DIY barrel plug and connect it to the PC PSU you are using. By that you can power you eGPU from one PSU.

Please take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

Owwwwwwwwwwww… please stop that right away! So you are using two different power supplies? That can really damage your whole setup because of ground loops. Put the AKiTiO PSU far far away and never use it again with your eGPU setup.

You should consider using a DIY barrel plug and connect it to the PC PSU you are using. By that you can power you eGPU from one PSU.

Please take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

Oh god, I was not aware of this! As you can tell, I am quite new to eGPU setups, so thanks a lot for the warning. I think I'll use the plug from the AKiTiO adapter for this as I'll never need that again. 

Oh god, I was not aware of this! As you can tell, I am quite new to eGPU setups, so thanks a lot for the warning. I think I'll use the plug from the AKiTiO adapter for this as I'll never need that again. 

Glad I could help. If you cut down the AKiTiO adapter make sure you get 12V and ground right!

12V is inside the barrel plug and Ground the outer ring.

Glad I could help. If you cut down the AKiTiO adapter make sure you get 12V and ground right!

12V is inside the barrel plug and Ground the outer ring.

Seems like I've got it right, only using the 300W PSU now. However another really weird problem has occured. Neither the trackpad nor the keyboard on the mac seem to work in Windows 8.1. This happened after I installed Optimus and I've tried reinstalling the Bootcamp Support Software in Windows, but they still don't appear in device manager. I'm currently just using an external Logitech mouse which seems to work just fine. Any ideas?

- turn on the MB

- wait 1-2sec

After testing your boot progress and also trying to repeat the exact same procedure as in the video multiple times, I've still not got it working. If I boot into Windows too quickly after getting to the boot selection, it doesn't detect the card. If I wait too long (3-6sec), it either freezes on the Windows logo right after those spinning dots appear (requiring a forced shutdown), or it freezes, then crashes and says it's gathering information.

I've noticed that you have three options to boot from while I only have two: the Macintosh HD and the EFI with the nvidia logo on it. Also I have the Windows logo on boot, while in the video there are just the spinning white dots. Starting to get confused now. Could it be that I don't have necessary software installed in Windows 8.1? The only things I've got installed atm are Chrome, Boot Camp assistant and Classic Shell.

Edit: After booting into Windows without it detecting the GTX 960, I tried reinstalling the Bootcamp software a second time which lead me to the GRUB 2 promt. Going to proceed with the 6th step from the Optimus installation thread.

Maybe you can open a "Provisional Guides" thread and ask for help. Best with a good explanation of your setup…

Seems like sth is messed up now.

- turn on the MB

- wait 1-2sec

Hey, your boot instructions finally worked! I must have done it slightly wrong with the timing of when to start windows after the Akitio. Thanks a lot! The only issue that leaves me with now is the keyboard/mouse stuff, but I'll look into that elsewhere.  :lol: