Looking to build decent gaming/work (very) light editing machine, any ideas?

Hello,

I am in the planning phase of custom building my first PC.  I am looking to make this build around or (preferably) under 1000 USD.  Uses would be gaming at high or max settings (at 1080p, and potentially 1440p later, althought I'm ok with GPU upgrades in the future), as well as light and relatively heavy tasks related to work, and some very light video editing (as a hobby more than anything else).

This is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZWFcrH

I plan on sucking it up and using default CPU cooling stuff and upgrading to better thermal compound and CPU cooler later on.  I already have a 1080p monitor and peripherals, so that isn't a concern.  Please post builds WITH JUSTIFICATION for the parts you chose: I don't want decisions based on pure fanboy-ness or other biases.

Wasting money on your motherboard, you could get something much cheaper that does the same thing.

PC SPECS: CPU: Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition│GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 4GB(soon!)│MBO: Asus Z97-A │PSU: Rosewill 550w Fully-Modular │CASE: Deepcool TESSERACT SW

Why the evga stinger ? You can save around 60 bucks on that, and for 20 bucks more you can get a xeon with 8 threads  maybe handy for work ? 

I chose the stinger for two reasons over other MITX boards:

A: Wifi (there are very few wall ethernet ports in my house.)

B. Mitx form factor (this needs to be very compact).

The xeon wouldn't be a bad idea, but MITX LGA 2011 boards are REALLY hard to find (especially ones that I like).

Wasting money on your motherboard, you could get something much cheaper that does the same thing.

Why the evga stinger ? You can save around 60 bucks on that, and for 20 bucks more you can get a xeon with 8 threads  maybe handy for work ? 

If there are other boards that are black (to fit my build aesthetic), MITX, have wifi, and an LGA 1150 socket, and are cheaper, please link them so I can add them.

Would change the PSU to an EVGA GS or an XFX, SeaSonic unit, seeing as the NEX series aren't that good and efficient, the GS series from EVGA are way better than the NEX and SeaSonic is basically at the top of the PSU making market, XFX is the same seeing as SeaSonic makes their units.

Also I would change the RAM to a Single stick compared to dual channel, going with 1 8gb stick allows you room for future upgrades and single stick vs dual channel performance is minimal.

Would also change the mobo/CPU to an Xeon 1231v3 and an h97 asrock Wi-Fi. The 1231v3 is basically an i7 4770 without an integrated GPU and also the  motherboard doesn't affect performance.

Faster SSD, and better quality HDD(Seagate tends to have higher failure rates.

Here's my suggestion.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($231.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($272.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $904.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 12:03 EDT-0400

Also couldnt find the case on PPP so I will post the amazon link.
It's also small.

@Chickenator

I chose the stinger for two reasons over other MITX boards:

A: Wifi (there are very few wall ethernet ports in my house.)

B. Mitx form factor (this needs to be very compact).

The xeon wouldn't be a bad idea, but MITX LGA 2011 boards are REALLY hard to find (especially ones that I like).

you know there are plenty m-itx with wifi, and xeon is also on 1150. Let me give you a link

EDIT nvm skyward did it already

Would change the PSU to an EVGA GS or an XFX, SeaSonic unit, seeing as the NEX series aren't that good and efficient, the GS series from EVGA are way better than the NEX and SeaSonic is basically at the top of the PSU making market, XFX is the same seeing as SeaSonic makes their units.

Also I would change the RAM to a Single stick compared to dual channel, going with 1 8gb stick allows you room for future upgrades and single stick vs dual channel performance is minimal.

Would also change the mobo/CPU to an Xeon 1231v3 and an h97 asrock Wi-Fi. The 1231v3 is basically an i7 4770 without an integrated GPU and also the  motherboard doesn't affect performance.

Faster SSD, and better quality HDD(Seagate tends to have higher failure rates.

Here's my suggestion.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($231.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($272.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $904.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 12:03 EDT-0400

Also couldnt find the case on PPP so I will post the amazon link.
It's also small.

@Chickenator

I like the build very much, but the board is blue... I know it seems like a minor gripe (which it is), but it's the kind of thing that will slowly drive me insane.  I could try changing the build aesthetic to black and blue, but I don't know that many blue R9 290's...But I like the powersupply and CPU.

I like the build very much, but the board is blue... I know it seems like a minor gripe (which it is), but it's the kind of thing that will slowly drive me insane.  I could try changing the build aesthetic to black and blue, but I don't know that many blue R9 290's...But I like the powersupply and CPU.

Here is a blue 290

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362vxsrBut it won't fit in the case i reccomended.

get a case that doesn't have a side panel window..then no problem with color  (seriously?...your gonna worry about color over performance?)

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

get a case that doesn't have a side panel window..then no problem with color  (seriously?...your gonna worry about color over performance?)

Here is a blue 290

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362vxsrBut it won't fit in the case i reccomended.

you know there are plenty m-itx with wifi, and xeon is also on 1150. Let me give you a link

EDIT nvm skyward did it already

Wasting money on your motherboard, you could get something much cheaper that does the same thing

Here is an updated build.  I Decided to build in a black bitfenix prodigy (which doesn't have a case window), get the Asrock MOBO, and use the xeon.

EDIT: Lol forgot the partpicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rv8Lxr

Good idea!

I also may use the sapphire 290 because of costs (the bitfenix can fit 315mm GPU's if I remove drive cages).

Good idea!

Yes, I can get the TRI-X OC Sapphire Radeon R9 290 for 230 dollars on newegg right now... #bossdeal