Upgrading my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones

Go to solution Solved by KaminKevCrew,

First of all, thank you all very much for your time and help! I much appreciate it.

While I'm looking for a "next step" upgrade, based on most of your replies, the DT 990 seems to be the best choice.

Now I must decide which version of theses headphones and if or not I must buy an AMP and/or DAC.

I'm thinking about the DT 990 PRO 250 ohm, because is the cheapest version, however I'm not sure if I will be able to drive it with my Asus Xonar DX. What do you think?

Here are the versions based on what I've read:

1) DT 990 PRO (250 ohm) - EUR 150,00

Pros: less expensive of all 3 versions.

Cons: Coiled cable. Maybe it needs an amp (250 ohm). It has a lesser built quality compared to the EDITIONS versions (plastic frame x steel frame and has a tighter fit which makes it less comfortable)

2) DT 990 EDITON (250 ohm) - EUR 210,00

Pros: Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 60 euros more expensive. Maybe it needs an amp, which makes it even more expensive.

3) DT 990 EDITION (32 ohm) - EUR 240,00

Pros: Doesn't need an amp! Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 90 euros more expensive.

First off, you will not need an amp. They will sound just fine. If you don't mind the higher clamp and plastic frame, get the pro. If you want the steel frame, and higher build quality (important if your'e not going to take very careful care of them) then get the premium 250 ohm. At this point, there really isn't a reason to get the 32 ohm 990.

That isn't the point of balanced.

The Lyr has more power than any headphone could need, 6W.

I don't know for a fact, but based on the parts probably 10 ohms.

Might not be the point, but comes with the package.

Indeed, and plenty of leeway at that. Do you think planars will end up going with more efficiency alone?

Hmm, a bit higher than desirable, but that's not relevant for the DT990.

Hey guys!

I own a pair of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones and I want an upgrade.

I'm looking for better sound, more comfortable and more durable ones. The synthetic material that covers the foam of my Sennheiser is tearing apart and also the headphone gets uncomfortable after 3~4 hours of use (it hasn't memory foam, by the way).

The use scenario is gaming and listening to music. I don't have an amp or a DAC. I use my Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking about the Beyerdinamic DT 990 Edition 32ohm (EUR 241), but, man, they are expensive.

Thanks for your help.

I have the same headphones (HD380Pro), and wear it for more than 8 hours per day for the last two years. It's very comfortable IMO! The only bad thing is the heavy cable.

Does anyone have experience with the RS 170 or others wireless headphones from Sennheiser? The wire annoys me so much :/

Might not be the point, but comes with the package.

Indeed, and plenty of leeway at that. Do you think planars will end up going with more efficiency alone?

Hmm, a bit higher than desirable, but that's not relevant for the DT990.

If THD is already significantly less than, say, .01%, are you really going to notice a difference, at all? I mean, my sound card is marketed to have a .005% THD... and most high end headphones have very well paired drivers anyway, so I fail to see where you would notice a difference.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If THD is already significantly less than, say, .01%, are you really going to notice a difference, at all? I mean, my sound card is marketed to have a .005% THD... and most high end headphones have very well paired drivers anyway, so I fail to see where you would notice a difference.

There's a difference in THD between different outputs.

And you might fail to see where you notice a difference.

There's a difference in THD between different outputs.

And you might fail to see where you notice a difference.

Can you cite a double blind test where people were able to tell the difference between balanced and unbalanced headphone audio? I would love to read about one.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Thanks for the input!

It seems most people tend to have the opinion that it will suffice, whereas I personally think you'd do good in getting a (budget) headphone amp like the PA2V2 or Fiio E11 (both inexpensive). In the end, it's entirely up to you.

Impressive, especially considering price differences.

I understand. The thing is that for the price of the DT 990 250 ohms +  AMP, I could get directly the DT 990 32 ohms. And in this last case, it would have the advantage of being only one gadget. Well, since money is a factor, I guess I'll try the DT 990 250 ohms first with my Xonar DX. If I'm still unsatisfied, I'll get an amp. 

In my experience, different amps do change the sound. Most probably because of different circuit design and different components. The problem is, 90% of the case, it's not worth it to go the extra money for that astronomical differences. But then again, 'worth it' is a subjective thing. If I make 1 million dollar a year, then a $10.000 amp is 'totally worth it' for me, if only for the bona-fide factor. 

Also it's always case per case. DT990 might be good on this onboard, but might be too much for that onboard. 

If my current system is noisy, buzzing, hissing, distorting, then I'd seriously consider getting a better amp.

If my current system is running good, but I found/tested a new amp that's prettier, sturdier, got a bit better sound (if only just my opinion), then I'd look at my wallet first, because I don't need the new amp, I just want it. 

My Xonar DX has no noise or distortion that I could notice. Looking at my wallet, I guess I'll give it a try before expending on an AMP.

Some context: it may seem a little silly to ask some of these questions. One could think: Well, why doesn't the OP order the headphone, give it a try and them make a decision? Well, the thing is that I live in a country (Brazil) with outrageous import taxes and with no availability of such products. Next month I'll make a trip to Germany and I want to use this opportunity to buy this gear. As so, I can't miss it. lol.

Can you cite a double blind test where people were able to tell the difference between balanced and unbalanced headphone audio? I would love to read about one.

You read my mind.

I don't understand the question.

I don't understand the question.

You mentioned earlier that there was a trend for headphones being more sensitive. Do you believe that'll be the case for planars as well?

You mentioned earlier that there was a trend for headphones being more sensitive. Do you believe that'll be the case for planars as well?

Well, considering that all of Audeze's recent headphone introductions have been marketed as being drivable from mobile devices, and the oppo pm series, yes.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I think it is. Audeze and their EL-8 cans as well as the LCD-X. Hifiman's cans, while not exactly sensitive, aren't unreasonably current-hungry either.

I think it is. Audeze and their EL-8 cans as well as the LCD-X. Hifiman's cans, while not exactly sensitive, aren't unreasonably current-hungry either.

So, would you think that as time passes, there'll be diminishing needs for more powerful amps? And if so, what sort of plateau could we reach in terms of efficiency, regardless of driver nature?

So, would you think that as time passes, there'll be diminishing needs for more powerful amps? And if so, what sort of plateau could we reach in terms of efficiency, regardless of driver nature?

I can't put an exact number on it. The trend does seem to be to support mobile devices with decent amps, such as the iPhone and it's peers. Assuming battery technology doesn't change, that means headphones that can be driven from a single 3.7v cell.

I totally could....

Give me:

- 1 headphone, as the static variable

- 2 amps, 1 balanced, 1 non-balanced as the test subjects

- 2 sets of cables (balanced and non-balanced), each 1km long....

My Xonar DX has no noise or distortion that I could notice. Looking at my wallet, I guess I'll give it a try before expending on an AMP.

Some context: it may seem a little silly to ask some of these questions. One could think: Well, why doesn't the OP order the headphone, give it a try and them make a decision? Well, the thing is that I live in a country (Brazil) with outrageous import taxes and with no availability of such products. Next month I'll make a trip to Germany and I want to use this opportunity to buy this gear. As so, I can't miss it. lol.

2 possible approach: 

1. Compare the onboard and the one on your phone. See if they're the same loud, or if not, which one is louder. In germany, test plugging the DT990 to phone, so you can take an educated guess of how loud it will sound on your PC. It's not a sure shot, but it should work 90%

2. Buy a DT990, and a fancy amp of your choice. If it turns out you need it, keep the amp. If not, sell it as 'open box'. You might even get a bit of profit.

IMG_5062_zps8690c02b.jpg

LCD-3 plugged to a $30 candybar phone. Still loud and sounds like a 2 grand headphone...

102dB/mW. Even more sensitive than the M50x, and Fidelio X2

I totally could....

Give me:

- 1 headphone, as the static variable

- 2 amps, 1 balanced, 1 non-balanced as the test subjects

- 2 sets of cables (balanced and non-balanced), each 1km long....

I get the joke.

I get the joke.

I literally laughed when I saw that last part...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

2 possible approach: 

1. Compare the onboard and the one on your phone. See if they're the same loud, or if not, which one is louder. In germany, test plugging the DT990 to phone, so you can take an educated guess of how loud it will sound on your PC. It's not a sure shot, but it should work 90%

2. Buy a DT990, and a fancy amp of your choice. If it turns out you need it, keep the amp. If not, sell it as 'open box'. You might even get a bit of profit.

Good ideas!!! (just a heads up, the Asus Xonar DX is not onboard, is offboard).

1) In the first approuch, my iPhone 6 can drive my Sennheiser HD 380 PRO much louder that I can stand. After that, it gets a little distorterd. The Asus Xonar DX is much louder than the iPhone 6 and crispier for sure. Ok, I did test them here so I can compare later. 

2) In the second approuch, which amp should I get? SSL said SMSL SD793-II, while tribaljet said PA2V2 or Fiio E11.

Thanks.

Good ideas!!! (just a heads up, the Asus Xonar DX is not onboard, is offboard).

1) In the first approuch, my iPhone 6 can drive my Sennheiser HD 380 PRO much louder that I can stand. After that, it gets a little distorterd. The Asus Xonar DX is much louder than the iPhone 6 and crispier for sure. Ok, I did test them here so I can compare later. 

2) In the second approuch, which amp should I get? SSL said SMSL SD793-II, while tribaljet said PA2V2 or Fiio E11.

Thanks.

If you don't care about it being portable, the cheaper one :D

Hey! New SIgnature!