Upgrading my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones

Go to solution Solved by KaminKevCrew,

First of all, thank you all very much for your time and help! I much appreciate it.

While I'm looking for a "next step" upgrade, based on most of your replies, the DT 990 seems to be the best choice.

Now I must decide which version of theses headphones and if or not I must buy an AMP and/or DAC.

I'm thinking about the DT 990 PRO 250 ohm, because is the cheapest version, however I'm not sure if I will be able to drive it with my Asus Xonar DX. What do you think?

Here are the versions based on what I've read:

1) DT 990 PRO (250 ohm) - EUR 150,00

Pros: less expensive of all 3 versions.

Cons: Coiled cable. Maybe it needs an amp (250 ohm). It has a lesser built quality compared to the EDITIONS versions (plastic frame x steel frame and has a tighter fit which makes it less comfortable)

2) DT 990 EDITON (250 ohm) - EUR 210,00

Pros: Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 60 euros more expensive. Maybe it needs an amp, which makes it even more expensive.

3) DT 990 EDITION (32 ohm) - EUR 240,00

Pros: Doesn't need an amp! Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 90 euros more expensive.

First off, you will not need an amp. They will sound just fine. If you don't mind the higher clamp and plastic frame, get the pro. If you want the steel frame, and higher build quality (important if your'e not going to take very careful care of them) then get the premium 250 ohm. At this point, there really isn't a reason to get the 32 ohm 990.

Hey guys!

I own a pair of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones and I want an upgrade.

I'm looking for better sound, more comfortable and more durable ones. The synthetic material that covers the foam of my Sennheiser is tearing apart and also the headphone gets uncomfortable after 3~4 hours of use (it hasn't memory foam, by the way).

The use scenario is gaming and listening to music. I don't have an amp or a DAC. I use my Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking about the Beyerdinamic DT 990 Edition 32ohm (EUR 241), but, man, they are expensive.

Thanks for your help.

I recommend the m40x (rather than the m50x)

you can hear the differences in the m series here

I personally have tired both the m40x and m50x at a store and i would go with m40x anyday due to how light it is and how inexpensive it is compared to m50x

:P

And also to add the m40x allows you to truly hear what the artist wants you to listen to (it's curve is very minimal so there isnt alot of equalizer action going on)

Skip to 1.46 to listen to audio tracks

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I've been rocking HD 598s since black Friday.

Fuckin' amazing.

Base is a little weak, since they're open back (which is slightly saddening since I listen to rap.), but games (especially realism based games -ArmA/DayZ with JSRS = splooge-) sound amazing. It's like you're not even wearing headphones, both physically and audibly. I recommend them 100%

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I love my hd 558s they are amazing.

Don't get the m40x or the m50x they are two of the most over rated sets of cans out there in my opinion. 

Personally I would rather get a higher impedance set now.

As far as open or closed back go don't get closed if you value sound quality.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I would be concerned about most of these suggestions being side-grades. The Beyer DT is most likely to sound different in a good way,.

I'd say anything under the normal headphone trinity (Sennheiser HD600/650, Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K702/712) would just be a sidegrade

Hey guys!

I own a pair of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones and I want an upgrade.

I'm looking for better sound, more comfortable and more durable ones. The synthetic material that covers the foam of my Sennheiser is tearing apart and also the headphone gets uncomfortable after 3~4 hours of use (it hasn't memory foam, by the way).

The use scenario is gaming and listening to music. I don't have an amp or a DAC. I use my Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking about the Beyerdinamic DT 990 Edition 32ohm (EUR 241), but, man, they are expensive.

Thanks for your help.

DT 990's are my favorite headset I got, so comfortbale. I have the M50x's and the DT 990's I would recommend getting the DT 990's.. over the ATH-M50x anyday. The sound would be different then the HD 380's and others suggested in a goodway as SSL stated above. The material is very durabile, and plush and I think I would have to stomp on this to break it. Also it doesn't clamp on your head which I like, only thing is there open which I prefer anyway.. Bass feels very natural in a good way aswell.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I'm loving a pair of HD 598's here, the sound is amazing though the bass is lacking.

But the comfortability of these headphones blew me away, never thought I'd be able to wear a headphone 24/7 without feeling the need to take them off because of pressure or pain starting to rise.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I mean, I have a pair of HD650's that I like pretty well. I agree with the sentiment stated twice before about these mainly being side-grades, rather than upgrades. The 598, and M40s especially. The Beyers would probably be good, although I must confess that I have not listened to pair before. If you want to stick with Senns, the HD600 series is really quite good. If you want bass, the 650's certainly aren't lacking in it, at all. The thing that the 6XX do is that they make just about everything sound good. Maybe not perfect, but definitely up there with just about anything in their price range.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

For your specified usage and budget, you pretty much nailed it by having the DT990 in mind. Not only will it outperform any alternatives suggested in the thread when it comes to gaming (very immersive audio due to signature and accurate positional cues) but also handle a wide range of music genres (which by the way you didn't specify further).

So, is there actually a difference between the 990 pro and 990 premium, or is that just the looks? the pro is significantly cheaper. (sorry, I've never owned a pair of beyers :( )

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

So, is there actually a difference between the 990 pro and 990 premium, or is that just the looks? the pro is significantly cheaper. (sorry, I've never owned a pair of beyers :( )

From what I understand the premium mostly just means premium build quality.  It's just higher end materials than the pro.  There were a pair of DT 990 Premiums on Massdrop recently I believe, you may check it out.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti 11GB RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Samsung 860 Evo 2TB 2.5" CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro Case: Lian Li Lancool One

First of all, thank you all very much for your time and help! I much appreciate it.

While I'm looking for a "next step" upgrade, based on most of your replies, the DT 990 seems to be the best choice.

Now I must decide which version of theses headphones and if or not I must buy an AMP and/or DAC.

I'm thinking about the DT 990 PRO 250 ohm, because is the cheapest version, however I'm not sure if I will be able to drive it with my Asus Xonar DX. What do you think?

Cons: Coiled cable. Maybe it needs an amp (250 ohm). It has a lesser built quality compared to the EDITIONS versions (plastic frame x steel frame and has a tighter fit which makes it less comfortable)

Pros: Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 60 euros more expensive. Maybe it needs an amp, which makes it even more expensive.

Pros: Doesn't need an amp! Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

First off, you will not need an amp. They will sound just fine. If you don't mind the higher clamp and plastic frame, get the pro. If you want the steel frame, and higher build quality (important if your'e not going to take very careful care of them) then get the premium 250 ohm. At this point, there really isn't a reason to get the 32 ohm 990.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Idk about dt990 sound but i'd probably recommend dt880 over dt990

They differ in more than just build materials and quality, signature and overall characteristics do change, with the Premium having a wider soundstage, more pronounced treble and slightly tamed bass. Thinking in simple terms, go with the DT990 PRO if you want more bass, smoother treble and a slightly narrow soundstage or go with the Premium if you want a more disperse and slightly less impactful bass, with more detailed treble and a wider soundstage. I would use the Premium for competitive gaming and the PRO for immersive gaming myself but ymmv.

Regarding amping, your Xonar DX doesn't come with a dedicated headphone amp, so I do suggest you get an external amp (rather than replacing the soundcard, which is perfectly fine btw) such as a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11. Both those amps will deliver enough power to drive the DT990 250Ohm adequately. And yes, you do want to feed enough power to the headphones as it's not a matter of having a higher volume ceiling but actually letting the headphone drivers perform adequately.

Regarding amping, your Xonar DX doesn't come with a dedicated headphone amp, so I do suggest you get an external amp (rather than replacing the soundcard, which is perfectly fine btw) such as a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11. Both those amps will deliver enough power to drive the DT990 250Ohm adequately. And yes, you do want to feed enough power to the headphones as it's not a matter of having a higher volume ceiling but actually letting the headphone drivers perform adequately.

He would be fine without an amp. And yes, the DX does have an amp. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to adjust the volume. No need for an amp, making this an even more expensive proposition, especially since amps don't alter sound, just make it louder.

@OP, you should get the headphones first, and see how you like them. If you're not happy with how loud they are, go ahead and get one, otherwise you'd be fine without it!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

He would be fine without an amp. And yes, the DX does have an amp. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to adjust the volume. No need for an amp, making this an even more expensive proposition...

@OP, you should get the headphones first, and see how you like them. If you're not happy with how loud they are, go ahead and get one, otherwise you'd be fine without it!

Go back and read exactly what I wrote. Every single audio device has an amp, what I'm talking about is a dedicated headphone amp that gives considerably more power to the drivers, something the Xonar DX lacks and therefore won't drive the DT990 250Ohm adequately.

Go back and read exactly what I wrote. Every single audio device has an amp, what I'm talking about is a dedicated headphone amp that gives considerably more power to the drivers, something the Xonar DX lacks and therefore won't drive the DT990 250Ohm adequately.

I have a pair of DT 990 Pro 250 Olms and my smartphone can drive them don't know what your talking about. The DX should be way more then enough.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I have a pair of DT 990 Pro 250 Olms and my smartphone can drive them don't know what your talking about.

Of course sound will come out of the headphones, and that definitely doesn't mean they're performing as they should.

I read what you wrote about four times. You were very unclear about the part where the Xonar may or may not have an amp, since, you know, you didn't say that it had one. The DX will drive them just fine. 

Of course sound will come out of the headphones, and that definitely doesn't mean they're performing as they should.

This is wrong. This is something that people talk a lot about over at head-fi, but here at LTT, we know (through science) that a good, reference style amp and dac will not change the sound, regardless of price. It's all about volume. If you want to know more about that, I would ask creatip123, SSL or ShearMe, or really, anyone else around here that spends a lot of time on this forum.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Then plug a set of Sennheiser HD800 to a phone and to a desktop amp and tell me there is no difference.

Then plug a set of Sennheiser HD800 to a phone and to a desktop amp and tell me there is no difference.

But, those aren't even the cans we are talking about? And I bet there wouldn't be a real one!

God damnit not again.

Thank god you're here...

Hey! New SIgnature!