Need witcher 3 settings NOW!

sdhdok
i

1440p monitor 
i5 4670k (default clock)
8gigs 1600mhz ram
R9 290 (tri-x version)

I want to run the witcher 3 at 1440p but i'm terrible at picking settings. Tell me what settings you'd have if these were your specs. 

Pick.. what looks good.. and runs fine.. to you?

Look on NVidia's website for benchmarks on performance hits. Can't link it atm though.

Try the medium/high preset.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Normally people just play around with the settings until they find the nice balance of performance/quality.... You're just going to have to take the time to figure it out.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Pick.. what looks good.. and runs fine.. to you?

Very helpful.. You must really work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Very helpful.. You must really work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

I do, here at Nvidia HQ.

But seriously, everyone else just configures it until they're happy with it.

You're asking a question that can only vaguely be answer, and even then it's subjective.

Simply get Fraps, put everything at very high settings then lower them until you get your preferred fps at a stable rate.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I do, here at Nvidia HQ.

But seriously, everyone else just configures it until they're happy with it.

Yeah i know  <_< I't'd just be nice to have a better starting point for me to configure from than "just do what feels right" rephrased a million times. 

Yeah i know  <_< I't'd just be nice to have a better stating point for me to configure from than "just do what feels right" rephrased a million times. 

Well that's how you learn man. Do things yourself :)

i

1440p monitor 

i5 4670k (default clock)

8gigs 1600mhz ram

R9 290 (tri-x version)

I want to run the witcher 3 at 1440p but i'm terrible at picking settings. Tell me what settings you'd have if these were your specs. 

I've always found that the benefit of higher quality shadows is not worth it.  As long as there is some form of shadows (e.g. medium or low), then it's fine.  Once you go up to high or ultra (equivalent) of shadows in games, the framerate trade-off is not worth it.  It is really a screenshot-only setting, and you'll manage with lower shadows settings.

As for what that gives you in TW3, I can't say for sure yet.  I only played for 2 hours.  Using 2x GTX 680 SLI.  I run a 1440p monitor, but am forced to run 1080p if I want 60 FPS (most of the time).

Set everything to high at 1440p, no AA, turn off hairworks, SSAO on. You should get at least 30 fps if not turn down grass settings to medium.

My HD7950 runs the game at 30fps (1080p) with ultra settings and no hairworks.  After lowering the distant foliage setting to high, I gained 10fps and didn't notice a difference.  Turn of V-sync, and the game will be quite smooth with little noticeable tearing.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Every game has its unoptimized graphical setting that tanks framerates.  For AC:Unity it was any AA beyond FXAA, for this game it's Hairworks and Foliage Visibility Range.

Turning Hairworks off and Foliage Visibility Range from Ultra to High literally gave me 25fps back at 1440p with virtually zero noticeable loss in graphical fidelity.  Everything else is maxed and stable at 60fps on a 980 at 1440p.  I see no reason why an R9 290 or 970 can't max the game out, minus these two settings, at 1080p. 

This is why benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt.  There's always a setting or two in them that is unoptimized to a level that it's unrealistic for anyone to run them.

Taken from http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/368999-witcher-3-benchmarks-holy-balls-this-game-is-demanding/page-11

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Has anyone noticed that the game doesn't use that much vram?

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Use the highest available preset. If that works well for you, you're good.

If not, go a preset down. If that works well for you, then increase a some effects that you would like to see improved.

It's a bit trial and error, but after doing it with several games, you can estimate how each setting will effect your system within games.

It can take some time to find what works best for your system. If you don't want to take the time, stick with the presets and find what works for you.