Cloning HDD to SSD, access denied

Go to solution Solved by Nesflaten,

Soooo. It seems it solved itself. I put the SSD in with a bootable USB flash drive with win7 on it to do a clean install of win7. SOMEHOW, the computer started and did a system check to look for errors. I let this go once, found no errors, restarted, it wanted to do the "check for errors" again, but i cancelled it, and it started JUST FINE! because of the check error thing, I did a system recoery (using ALT-F10 and Acer eRecovery), and it works fine:) don't know what fixed it, but it works now! :D:D

So, I seem to have an aura for making electonic devices not work.. 

Software and hardware:

empty intel 520 120 GB SSD

laptops original Toshiba 500 GB HDD with windows 7. used space is about 80 GB

the desktop computer runs windows 8 Enterprise.

the task to do: I want to clone a 2,5" Toshiba 500 GB HDD from Acer laptop to a new 120 GB 520 series SSD. 

the means: either by 1)  USB to SATA connector (not provided), or by 2) installing both in a desktop, booting from neither, and cloning in that way.

the issues: method 1) Bought USB HDD enclosure thingy (http://dx.com/p/2-5-sata-usb-2-0-hdd-enclosure-with-leather-pouch-silver-51119). This does not recognise the SSD as an intel SSD, and it shows 2 external drives connected, the "System Reserved" and ordinary. I read that the intel SSD need the correct model strings for the operating system (http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034081.htm), but not WHAT the correct model strings are..

Question to method 1. Would a USB to SATA connector work, or will it provide the same issue?

the issues: method 2). Everything seems perfect with this method, althought the user manual seem to state that I have to boot from the HDD I am cloning, as it needs to restart the computer or something. The user manual does not say anything about that you have to boot from the HDD you are cloning, but mentions something about reboot (http://dx.com/p/2-5-sata-usb-2-0-hdd-enclosure-with-leather-pouch-silver-51119).

The cloning process works fine until some files, where the error message "Access denied, permission not granted to write" comes up. I tried "take ownership" and also properties-security- then changing all permission to have full controll. BOTH take ownership and permission was denied. The files size missing is about 50 MB. When installing the SSD in the laptop, the errormessage "unable to boot, missing bootmgr" (if my memory is correct) comes up.

Question to method 2. How to get the permissions? I don't want to boot from laptop HDD in the desktop, as the drivers for MOBO, GPU etc would have to be installed and stuff. 

Question 3: could I make a bootable recovery USB, then cleaninstll windows on the SSD, then use the recovery USB to get all preinstalled drivers and stuff? I have had bad luck identifying all drivers for GPU and keyboard after doing a clean install, so I don't want to do that again. 

I am grateful for any repsonse to this, and love this community even more! go LTT/LMG :D

Try using clonezilla, it does not go through the OS.

thank you:) In which configuration though? HDD enclosure, or desktop installed?

Soooo. It seems it solved itself. I put the SSD in with a bootable USB flash drive with win7 on it to do a clean install of win7. SOMEHOW, the computer started and did a system check to look for errors. I let this go once, found no errors, restarted, it wanted to do the "check for errors" again, but i cancelled it, and it started JUST FINE! because of the check error thing, I did a system recoery (using ALT-F10 and Acer eRecovery), and it works fine:) don't know what fixed it, but it works now! :D:D

Your always going to have some issues cloning a larger drive to a smaller one, even if the space used is small than the target drive. Clonezilla actually can even do the latter in drive more you have to do it in partiton mode but then you can run into other problems.