Dual channel memory confusion

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Ram is not inherently dual or quad channel. Kits in dual/quad channel are just advertised to work in those configs with certain settings.

You can be pretty sure any ram that works in quad channel will work in dual channel as the ram has probably been tested to work together.

Moving thread to CPUs, Motherboard and Memory--the Troubleshooting subforum is for.. troubleshooting.

Sorry if i am posting this in the wrong place i dont know were to, i am new here sorry.

i bought this pc an year ago and my ram choice was a corsair vengeance 8 gb ddr3 1600(CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) thinking that i will bye another 8gb of this exact same ram and run it in dual channel(in the future) but i stumbled upon something now which i am not sure about,according to corsair this rams memory config is quad channel and my motherboard only supports dual channel so i am pretty confused now if i could run a quad channel memory in dual channel (if i bought one) or will i have to bye another dual channel ram kit.Can anyone help me i just want to know if two vengeance 8gb (with quad channel memory config) work in dual channel(16gb with 128bit).

My motherboard  GA-970A-DS3P.

Help :(

post-166430-0-85361300-1431885891_thumb.

post-166430-0-94568200-1431886297_thumb.

Ram is not inherently dual or quad channel. Kits in dual/quad channel are just advertised to work in those configs with certain settings.

You can be pretty sure any ram that works in quad channel will work in dual channel as the ram has probably been tested to work together.

Moving thread to CPUs, Motherboard and Memory--the Troubleshooting subforum is for.. troubleshooting.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So i can run these rams in dual channel just like any other dual channel kit.Sorry for being a noob and thank you for the fast replay and helping me.

So i can run these rams in dual channel just like any other dual channel kit.Sorry for being a noob and thank you for the fast replay and helping me.

Yes. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Oh ok thank you.