FreeNAS -- what do I need to know?

79wjd

@Jarsky Thanks 

@Eniqmatic 

Would you be able to help me run through the setup process? Specifically, Being prompted for a username/password when trying to modify/write anything to the server and setting up a way to access it from off the network. Also, any idea if there is a way to force the system to see if it's on, and if it's not then power on (or try to start up/restart once a day -- to make sure it comes back online automatically after a power outage or something of that nature). 

To access the server from a different network would I have to create a DNS server (free through optimum Boost, which I have) and use that as a static-ip equivalent? 

Sure I can help, but probably only to specific questions. 

To check if the whole machine was booted you mean? Sure, you would need an IPMI/ILO/DRAC controller to achieve this functionality. Not something that can be done through software.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Sure I can help, but probably only to specific questions. 

To check if the whole machine was booted you mean? Sure, you would need an IPMI/ILO/DRAC controller to achieve this functionality. Not something that can be done through software.

Is it possible that my motherboard has something like that built in -- I noticed in the bios a wake up timer (although, it's probably just from sleep). How much would something like that cost? Because I could probably rig something up with a simple timer and just connect it to the motherboards power button header so that it completes the circuit for a split second once every x hours (thus making sure it's always on).

And I don't really think I could make my questions any more specific than in my previous post since I'm not really sure what settings I need to change to make it happen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Is it possible that my motherboard has something like that built in -- I noticed in the bios a wake up timer (although, it's probably just from sleep). How much would something like that cost? Because I could probably rig something up with a simple timer and just connect it to the motherboards power button header so that it completes the circuit for a split second once every x hours (thus making sure it's always on).

And I don't really think I could make my questions any more specific than in my previous post since I'm not really sure what settings I need to change to make it happen.

It's generally only server grade boards that have this built in. Wake up will be from WOL (Wake on lan) which is where a special packet is sent to the network port which can make it boot from off.

I don't understand which part you are at when you talk about passwords, it could be a number of things you are trying to do when you receive. that.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

It's generally only server grade boards that have this built in. Wake up will be from WOL (Wake on lan) which is where a special packet is sent to the network port which can make it boot from off.

I don't understand which part you are at when you talk about passwords, it could be a number of things you are trying to do when you receive. that.

It was a wake up at x time, I don't believe it was WOL.

As for the setup, I mean from the beginning -- I.e. I just installed freeNAS and I now need to set everything up.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have an old computer and a couple (one to start off with) HDDs lying around, so I'm planning on throwing a NAS together and seeing how things go. 

I do have a few questions though. 

1. Do I actually need to put the OS on it's own drive, or can I just create a 20gb partition (to be generous) for the OS? (Yes, I understand the potential annoyance down the road should I have an issue with that drive and it need to be replaced). 
  2. Is there anything I need to do, other than a somewhat basic setup process, in order to make it compatible with OSX and Windows? 
  3. Will it be able to stream to a device off that network? (would I have to set anything up in order to stream to devices on the same network/off the network).
  4. Are there any other questions I should be asking? / things I may be overlooking

Use a small SSD as a flashdrive is more likely to die due to wearing out and because they're crap.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

@Eniqmatic 

So I set up the DDNS client within FreeNAS, and it appears to be working -- so far it redirects me to the servers GUI, now, how would I go about setting it up so I could also get redirected to the contents of the server (or would I need to stream through some plug-in, rather than being able to directly access individual files? 

Edit: Actually, so far it appears to just redirect me so long as I'm on my home network. Everywhere else it times out. 

I was told to add a host and a resource record pointing to the internal IP address of the server, and that would do the trick. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Use a small SSD as a flashdrive is more likely to die due to wearing out and because they're crap.

No point, waste of an SSD. It isn't going to improve performance and the flash drive is used on startup only then it's read into memory and not accessed until it's shutdown. If you have it running all day like most do, then it's never really going to be used. It was also designed to be on a memory stick.

No point, waste of an SSD. It isn't going to improve performance and the flash drive is used on startup only then it's read into memory and not accessed until it's shutdown. If you have it running all day like most do, then it's never really going to be used. It was also designed to be on a memory stick.

Best thing to do is forward a certain port from your router to the IP of your jail, so that you would have this scenario: 

www.yourdomain.co.uk > FreeNAS

www.yourdomain.co.uk:123 > Plex

Is that what your trying to achieve?

Did you also allow the port through your router so it would work from external?

Best thing to do is forward a certain port from your router to the IP of your jail, so that you would have this scenario: 

www.yourdomain.co.uk > FreeNAS

www.yourdomain.co.uk:123 > Plex

Is that what your trying to achieve?

Did you also allow the port through your router so it would work from external?

jail? 

/also, why is the ip address in the add jail defaulting to 192.158.1.6 when the server is defaulting to .10?

and what port should I forward? 80? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

jail? 

/also, why is the ip address in the add jail defaulting to 192.158.1.6 when the server is defaulting to .10?

and what port should I forward? 80? 

Jails are like VM's, they are seperate instances of software running on FreeNAS, therefor need different/their own IP addresses to be on the network.

Which ever port plex uses as default you will need to forward, think it's 32400 or something.

Jails are like VM's, they are seperate instances of software running on FreeNAS, therefor need different/their own IP addresses to be on the network.

Which ever port plex uses as default you will need to forward, think it's 32400 or something.

Alright, well, what do I need to do in order to just set it up so I can access the GUI remotely? Because I still can't do that. What port should I forward for that? (if so, I already did 80) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Alright, well, what do I need to do in order to just set it up so I can access the GUI remotely? Because I still can't do that. What port should I forward for that? (if so, I already did 80) 

You would need to port forward 80 if that's the default port you are using for FreeNAS. You need to make sure you have your DNS records setup correctly on the provider you are using.

You would need to port forward 80 if that's the default port you are using for FreeNAS. You need to make sure you have your DNS records setup correctly on the provider you are using.

What should the record be? Right now I have the source as server.domain.com and the destination as the internal ip of the server. Do I need anything else?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

What should the record be? Right now I have the source as server.domain.com and the destination as the internal ip of the server. Do I need anything else?

PM the actual domain and I'll check it for you, as well as the service you are using.