Asus routers vulnerable to attack

amunj

Should be more concerned about NAS vendors having minimal default security on their devices and then using UPnP to give them the ability to be accessed from the public. Also networked printers / scanners are an issue also...

Also networked printers / scanners are an issue also...

Yeah I saw a short documentary about the security issues on HP printers. You could remotely scan papers in the printers, and people left their medical records and such in it. Someone who was making a point collected a lot of medical records, financial records and other very private and sensitive information with minimal effort, all from HP printers.

Yeah I saw a short documentary about the security issues on HP printers. You could remotely scan papers in the printers, and people left their medical records and such in it. Someone who was making a point collected a lot of medical records, financial records and other very private and sensitive information with minimal effort, all from HP printers.

I believe I watched that same documentary. It was really good :)

tl;dr but is this with Asus's firmware only? Plenty of us with Asus routers use DD-WRT / TomatoUSB.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

tl;dr but is this with Asus's firmware only? Plenty of us with Asus routers use DD-WRT / TomatoUSB.

Yes, it's a software issue with the stock firmware. People running Tomato, DD-WRT or other third party firmware are not affected (at least not from this security hole).

Yes, it's a software issue with the stock firmware. People running Tomato, DD-WRT or other third party firmware are not affected (at least not from this security hole).

So in other words no one is at risk  :P . Anyone smart enough to buy these routers I would assume are smart enough to not use Asus's awful stock firmware.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

So in other words no one is at risk  :P . Anyone smart enough to buy these routers I would assume are smart enough to not use Asus's awful stock firmware.

I got a U56 and I use the stock firmware. What's so bad about it?

I've grown accustomer to DD-WRT and Tomato over the past few years. Many claim it is much more stable and offers much more options. Such as automatic scripts and some other cool stuff. I found a script a while back that writes backups to a flash drive so if the router needs to be re-flashed by any reason the script from the USB drive will automatically write your config back to your router so you don't need to set it up again.

I've grown accustomer to DD-WRT and Tomato over the past few years. Many claim it is much more stable and offers much more options. Such as automatic scripts and some other cool stuff. I found a script a while back that writes backups to a flash drive so if the router needs to be re-flashed by any reason the script from the USB drive will automatically write your config back to your router so you don't need to set it up again.

Well I've never had the stock firmware crash and I have so far not thought of some feature I am missing on my router, nor have I've had to re-flash it. There are benefits for some people to flash aftermarket firmware, but I would argue that it's useless for some people (also depends on which router you have).

Well I've never had the stock firmware crash and I have so far not thought of some feature I am missing on my router, nor have I've had to re-flash it. There are benefits for some people to flash aftermarket firmware, but I would argue that it's useless for some people (also depends on which router you have).

I also forgot to mention DD-WRT and I think Tomato gives you the option to turn a router into a bridged repeater. That and you can use VLANS and much more.

I also forgot to mention DD-WRT and I think Tomato gives you the option to turn a router into a bridged repeater. That and you can use VLANS and much more.

I can bridge and make a repeater out of my N56U with the stock firmware as well, and I don't see the point of VLANs in a home network.

The stock firmware can do this. I have an N66U and i use the stock firmware.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Thanks @amunj for this post as i have 2 ASUS RT-AC-66R's and appreciate the heads up and updated even though I didnt use that feature because of some other things that were in that update.

yea thats what I was going to say the stock firmware does everything that I could ever need even makes one of mine a access point for the other part of the house!

@Gorgatron is there something im missing out on compared to 3rd party thats I should really be worried about?