X99 Build log [Leviathan PC] [FINISHED] 5820K/980/ASUS WS

BrandonTheCat

X99 Personal build

Edit: Ive also added an old 580 For dat computational workload 

ヽ(゚ー゚*ヽ)ヽ(*゚ー゚*)ノ(ノ*゚ー゚)ノ

The Leviathan! (OG Right?) All my devices are called that so I had to name it something...

Every part was chosen by me. I love each and every one of these parts and they all have a purpose to what I'm doing with it. 

If you can't see the pictures below, you need to be on a more powerful system!
zinL1pY.jpg

QmyOYV5.jpg

This is my updated thread of the previous log. Will be uploading all the build stuff here
throughout the next couple of days. So here are my logs:

Parts list
Intel 5820K
ASUS X99-E WS
GTX 980
Corsair 2666 16GB C15
Corsair 750D
Corsair AX1200i
Corsair H100i GTX
Intel 730 240GB x2
WD Red 1TB
Windows 8.1
Couple of AF140's and SP120's

Planning/MacroPhotos

10/4/15 Airflow Is a bit difficult... also chose the parts list

y7nGz6G.png

13/4/15 Graphics Power
I wasn't really trying to go big. I might get a 4K display at the end of the year or next year, but for now, Ill be on 1080. X41i4G0.jpg

3/5/15 Mobo Came!
Nothing really much to say here. Although there were reviews of this and some people actually said parts of it fell off. Nothing seems wrong to the eye... VPMpBo3.jpg

4/5/15 Case Planning
again, there really wasn't much to say here. It was REALLY nice to see the case next to my desk rather than on top of it because it just looks plain outright great. VPMpBo3.jpg

8/5/15 Cat.
His name is Gryphon. Au5PaA8.jpg

14/5/15 CPU
Oh Yippie! I didn't need 8 cores, and the 5930K didn't seem worth the extra $200.oYa3dCL.jpg

15/5/15 RAM
In all of my years of computing (Upgrading laptops and small desktops) This has to be the best RAM Ive seen in YEARS. kKci8oJ.jpgecryG0U.jpg

15/5/15 Some stuff
cVfdgJX.jpg

15/5/15 (Interesting date) ITS BUILD DAY!
bCm6pkK.jpg

This is the room I was building the system in.
VRUDQOG.jpg

15/5/15 Test Bench time!
CPU installation! T6bpAjs.jpg

15/5/15 RAM
This is the best ram EVAR tzvopsS.jpg
0oKBITI.jpg

15/5/15 Graphics Card anyone?
Nothing special here! pHkbvP3.jpg

15/5/15 IMPORTANT
Yes, I know Installing the cooler on first isn't that good and can cause damage to the CPU or the motherboard, but when you have no other heatsinks, some sacrifices have to be made.
5e5yujJ.jpg
TlUbPsc.jpg

15/5/15 Test Boot
All checks out! Time to move on!
vByat4p.jpg
UobnTgj.jpg

15/5/15 Installation
Installing the Cooler was actually really difficult. The tubes are REALLY stiff on this cooler. AxXjtPw.jpg
Dexk3xQ.jpg

15/5/15 Mid Build
It was really nice to see this come out. Looking great so far!
0gHEnwX.jpg
Cable management, like I said, Was going to be as best as I could. Great so far. Has one channel of wires going through it. Sweet.
xvt8ejC.jpg

15/5/15 Room update
This place is becoming a total mess
h6q0WIh.jpg

15/5/15 Almost done with cable management!
fFXDaeW.jpg

15/5/15 Finishing touches
At this point, it was nice to gaze upon what I've created.
d9qLEIq.jpg
UyMi6Ay.jpg
SIHE5wj.jpg

16/5/15 Cat
After a long day of working, I woke up to find the cat playing in the fan box pile.
3OVfe2i.jpg

16/5/15 Installed windows, Took care of drivers, and all that stuff.

FINAL PICTURES
Here are some final Pictures! Enjoy da sexiness!

MJg4rjK.jpg
zinL1pY.jpg
zvXMTo9.jpg
fH0uwy3.jpg
DhAhLfJ.jpg
w78Pb1C.jpg
bcysYLm.jpg
qpClZxZ.jpg
WJUbLkx.jpg
MzXMGVz.jpg
y5bS56K.jpg
SwnBvdt.jpg
1oNjN2g.jpg
QmyOYV5.jpg
WmUECMP.jpg

Thank you!
I'd Like to give thanks to the Linus Media Group team, and the LinusTechTips.com Forums, You guys are amazing!
I am very pleased with the system and the components that went in to this computer.

6960X, 2x GTX 1080 EK watercooled....? I say yes.... That would be a good system to end with!

You said I had a nice build. My build is dwarfed by yours :P Anyways, sick build!

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Nice!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Top of the line all the way through that build.....damn nice! Must have set you back a pretty penny? Nice pic of your cat....lol. 

You spent like twice as much on your motherboard as your CPU...

and i don't even want to know how much you wasted on that RAM...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You spent like twice as much on your motherboard as your CPU...

and i don't even want to know how much you wasted on that RAM...

You didn't read the about thread. 

You didn't read the about thread. 

a 6969x would work just as well on an X99S SLI plus

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

a 6969x would work just as well on an X99S SLI plus

I know, That addresses the CPU Choice doesn't it? The thing has enough Lanes to hold a party lol. (I'm too much tied to that motherboard. I'll take a workstation board any day)

Edit: To address the ram, Yeah, I did overspend on it. It was about 50 bucks off so I had to take it. 

Edited by BrandonTheCat

Nice build....but I don't see the need for the 1200 PSU. 980's are very power friendly

Nice build....but I don't see the need for the 1200 PSU. 980's are very power friendly

Yeah, That was more of a "Because we can" and "Upgradability" in mind. Good news is most of the time the fan doesn't even turn on! :D

Very nice build.
Looks great but I have to shudder at the reference 980 =/

Great work on the cable management. Very tidy!

Very nice build.

Looks great but I have to shudder at the reference 980 =/

Great work on the cable management. Very tidy!

Aww thanks!

I chose the reference 980 for its looks, and compatibility with water blocks. I might put a full loop in but, we will see :)

• 2 weeks later...

Daaaaamn nice PC!

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty floored when I opened up the Dominator Platinum RAM as well. Corsair sure knows how to make an unboxing feel special.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I was pretty floored when I opened up the Dominator Platinum RAM as well. Corsair sure knows how to make an unboxing feel special.

Ive seen pictures of it before buying it, and i thought it was pretty cool, but when I actually felt the ram it was the bet ram I've ever seen. Completely agree with above^

very nice build.  I rebuilt my rig in this case after The Unspeakable Happened. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/376340-the-unspeakable-happened/?view=findpost&p=5088927

Wow dude, You lucked out. 

I was VERY Skeptical taking a $2500+ computer up the stairs and thought of the worst when I was taking It up the stairs. It will probably never leave the upstairs unless we move :D

Glad the rest of the system posted!

Wow dude, You lucked out. 

I was VERY Skeptical taking a $2500+ computer up the stairs and thought of the worst when I was taking It up the stairs. It will probably never leave the upstairs unless we move :D

Glad the rest of the system posted!

Thanks,  I really did luck out.  Looking back I just wish that i had taken some pictures immediately after the fall with the motherboard, graphics card, etc. still in the case.  It was definitely cringe worthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great I love the plain and simple color scheme. The GeForce LED makes a nice contrast. =)