Two G1 Gaming GTX 980 in white!

Senzelian

Pictures have been deleted by the site I uploaded them to and I don't have a backup.
This thread is now basically useless.

I have a Z97 Sabertooth Mark S. One of the sexiest motherboards that are currently on the market. But it's really hard to find something that fits its colour scheme. A Galax/KFA² HoF card? No thanks.
Instead I got myself two Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980s.

[spoiler2=My PC before the paint job]gallery_177417_2907_299104.jpg[/spoiler2]

The problem is, that those don't really fit my colour scheme. So it's time to change that.
Welcome to the ultimate GPU paintjob... or so...  :wacko: 

To paint my G1s I had to take them apart. For that I needed a nice anti-static workplace with enough room.

Spoiler

img_20150513_182558.jpg

Now it was time to take those two monsters apart. I actually had to watch a video from Paul's Hardware and JayzTwoCents to figure out how to get the cooler off of the card. Gigabyte uses a lot of thermal paste and thermal pads, so the GPU sticks to the cooler like glue. 

Spoiler

img_20150513_182113.jpg

Spoiler

img_20150513_184944.jpg

The two coolers were interesting. Gigabyte used different thermal paste for each one. That was probably the reason why one of my GPUs was significantly higher in temperature, than the other, no matter if it was above or below the other card.

Spoiler

img_20150513_191145.jpg

After I took the whole cooler off, I had to take it apart, to get the fans out. I only wanted to paint the metal shroud that goes around the card and the backplate.

Spoiler

img_20150513_185617.jpg

Spoiler

img_20150513_190839.jpg

Now it was time to paint. I used PlastiDip, as it can withstand temperatures up to 94°C and I can peel it off If I ever need to.
I was painting in my garage and used the cardboard box of a TV as a base.

Spoiler

img_20150513_200701.jpg

Spoiler

img_20150513_200030.jpg

After painting and drying I had to reassemble the cards. Here's a picture of all the screws I had to use.

Spoiler

img_20150513_192417.jpg

Spoiler

img_20150513_215643.jpg

I used Arctic MX4 as thermal paste. It works great.

Spoiler

img_20150513_225331.jpg

img_20150513_225312.jpg

I was so happy when everything was done. Here a some pictures with the cards installed in my rig

Spoiler

img_20150513_230140.jpg

img_20150514_190414.jpg

img_20150514_190430.jpg

Overall it was a nice experience and a lot of fun, but I do not recommend that. It will void your warranty and you could eventually damage your card.
Still, the result was worth the risk!

Looks great man!

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Your build looks sick and those cards look absoluteley amazing! :)

who cares...

Looks very cool, I did this to my cards a couple of days ago, check my log if you want :)

Two questions:

Are those Corsair sleeved cables? If so, what cable combs did you use?

My cables are pretty stiff and I still have problems managing them so if you would be so kind and check my log and give suggestions I would very much appreciate it :)

Looks cool (horrible pun intended)

Looks great man!

Your build looks sick and those cards look absoluteley amazing! :)

Thanks guys!

whoa, this looks awesome!

suggestion: maybe plastidip some of your RAM? i said some becuase i think having it in like a white-black-white config would look amazing!

I'll definitly do that, but I wait until I got some Dominator Platinums.

Looks very cool, I did this to my cards a couple of days ago, check my log if you want :)

Two questions:

Are those Corsair sleeved cables? If so, what cable combs did you use?

My cables are pretty stiff and I still have problems managing them so if you would be so kind and check my log and give suggestions I would very much appreciate it :)

Yup, those are Corsair cables. I used E22 cable combs. Here is a link: http://www.e22.biz/E22combpack.aspx

I don't really have a suggestion. I had problems managing my cables, too. I simply used a lot of combs and force and still they aren't as good as I want them to be. 

Btw.: Nice build! ;)

Nice. Good alternative since the Galax/KFAHOF isn't everywhere. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Nice. Good alternative since the Galax/KFAHOF isn't everywhere. 

you can buy it in GER but its still € 699,90

but the Windforce is € 578,65  

so yeah ....

GREAT! paintjob btw

woher hast du den plastidip bestellt oder gibts den im OBI?

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

woher hast du den plastidip bestellt oder gibts den im OBI?

Was war noch gleich der größte Onlineshop in dem man so gut wie alles erhält? Amazon... ;)

Btw, english forum. So even tho I know what you're saying, please write english. :P

Awesome price for combs! 3pounds for a five-pack! Here just one comb cost almost 5€... Many thanks for that :)

Awesome price for combs! 3pounds for a five-pack! Here just one comb cost almost 5€... Many thanks for that :)

Np.

Just make sure to get the smaller ones, so they actually fit.

Also you might be able to order them from one of your shops in your country.

I know a shop here in Germany that does sell the exact same cable combs from E22.

Was war noch gleich der größte Onlineshop in dem man so gut wie alles erhält? Amazon... ;)

Btw, english forum. So even tho I know what you're saying, please write english. :P

yeah sure... :D

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

Np.

Just make sure to get the smaller ones, so they actually fit.

Also you might be able to order them from one of your shops in your country.

I know a shop here in Germany that does sell the exact same cable combs from E22.

I already have some combs, so I know the size :) and only shops that sells them here is the one that sell them for 4-5€ a piece... So I will rather go directly from e22

I did the same to my STRIX 980 last month. Was well worth the work.

h25tzj7.jpg

fqeGf0m.jpg

RCfKi3R.jpg

ZcpRDbK.jpg

-snip-

Can you PM the store in Germany? I want to see how much they charge for postage and compare directly from e22 :) Thanks

Looks nice

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb

Looks great! Good job :)

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

I did the same to my STRIX 980 last month. Was well worth the work.

Awesome! Looks really nice.

Sick dude!

Looks nice

Looks great! Good job :)

Thanks guys!

• 3 months later...

Looks so awesome! Can't wait to be able to do something like this myself, always loved the all white components looks so much slicker then people who go with the red/black or blue/black theme. or me who went with the anything just throw it in a case theme....

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

• 2 weeks later...

Looks so awesome! Can't wait to be able to do something like this myself, always loved the all white components looks so much slicker then people who go with the red/black or blue/black theme. or me who went with the anything just throw it in a case theme....

I actually hate black and white themes more than black and red ones.

But I really like white themese that are mixed up with a color such as blue, green, red, or something.

I haven't seen any white and yellow themed build yet. :P