The Witcher 3 was downgraded from what was shown in 2013 - Now with PS4 Comparison video

I think you missed the point of what I said here:

DLC does not automatically limit itself to the likes of micro-transactions or small-scale items; it applies to everything that is downloadable for the game in question.

I said that all and any of the content that is added to the game is DLC by definition. When did I say that the game itself, let alone an operating system, is DLC? A general advice; please stop twisting the conversation off the tangent and stick to the damn point!

Sorry but you can't just define it literally word for word when it suits you (the "You download it before you use it, therefore it is DLC" part) and then go "not all content you download is DLC" (the "it only applies to games and things that don't work independently" part).

Do you agree that the term DLC does not apply to all content that is downloaded (if you say no then Windows is DLC by your own definition)? If you agree to that then why are you so strict about taking the term literally when it comes to expansions?

If I am still missing the point then please elaborate.

Well you know... If you met her in 2013 and for some reason had a video of you managing it for 5 minutes, then you didn't end up having sex until 2015 and you didn't last more than 2 minutes I doubt she would go "you lied! in the video you lasted longer!"

I don't get how this conversation can still be going. The game is out in a few days and we will have the answers then. Lots of unnecessary fighting over something that is currently unconfirmed speculation (no I don't think a video of an early build with YouTube's 720p compression, not even 1080p, and unknown video settings counts as being confirmed).

Incidentally I had better groomed and quite a bit more hair in 2013, baldness men I'm telling you, I feel you CDPR!

-------

Current Rig

-------

DLC by definition word for word, sure, you could make the argument that a downloadable expansion is DLC.  But has it been used as such definition by mainstream media?  NO!  A VAST majority of time DLC is ever mentioned is in regards to small inconsequential bits of nonsense that devs release for a fiver or more.  You are going by the literal definition of DLC, when it has never been used as such.

While you do raise a good point, the issue here is that the scope of which a content is small or large in respect to a game, is not very well defined. In fact, it lies in the grey zone most of the time, as I have seen several large "DLC" as well as several very small and insignificant expansion packs.

Sorry but you can't just define it literally word for word when it suits you (the "You download it before you use it, therefore it is DLC" part) and then go "not all content you download is DLC" (the "it only applies to games and things that don't work independently" part).

Do you agree that the term DLC does not apply to all content that is downloaded (if you say no then Windows is DLC by your own definition)? If you agree to that then why are you so strict about taking the term literally when it comes to expansions?

GTA episodes from liberty city was a fucking expansion, but Rocstar never called that, they called it DLC, expansions is just a prettier word for DLC

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

GTA episodes from liberty city was a fucking expansion, but Rocstar never called that, they called it DLC, expansions is just a prettier word for DLC

I don't call it an expansion, since neither of them had anything to do with Nico or the main story or even the main game.  + Expansions existed decades before DLC even became a faint idea in the minds of developers.  If anything, DLC is a prettier word for nickel and diming.

Also to note, Episodes from Liberty City was also available on Discs.  Or even require the base game to play.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If you telling a woman you last longer than 5 minutes in the sheets but you finish in less than 2 is okay, then go for it. That won't be awkward at all.

Using sex as an example with this crowd? Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

Oh wait. It won't. As previously witnessed.

Also, to whoever said use "5K" downsampled screenshots, whoopdedoo. What a crock of nonsense. That's not representative of how most people will see or play the game at all.

Did you know Halo 3 effectively took 4K screenshots, applied enhancements, then downsampled to 1080p once it was saved online? But that was NOT representative of gameplay at all. Didn't stop them from using such screenshots in marketing, but that never made it genuine footage.

We can cherry pick examples all day long, however people want to make this game look "good". Maybe people are just too emotionally invested in a faceless developer to accept what's been going on, idk.

I'd love to be that naive again. Would be freaking amazing for some parts of my life. I'd also be able to live peacefully without being able to comprehend the magnitude of my ignorance. So I can see the appeal it has. But that's none of my business how others deliberately chose to believe...just sayin

I don't call it an expansion, since neither of them had anything to do with Nico or the main story or even the main game.  + Expansions existed decades before DLC even became a faint idea in the minds of developers.  If anything, DLC is a prettier word for nickel and diming.

Also to note, Episodes from Liberty City was also available on Discs.  Or even require the base game to play.

1) what has story have to do anything to with the definition of an expansion ?

2) if there ever was an more deserving thing to be called an expansion it's fcking GTA EFLC, are you saying just because Age of Mythology came Titans Expansions was not an expansion since it also got released on DVD's ?

3) EFLC did not require base game when released on DVD's, but what the fck has to do with your point ?

GTA EFLC was an expansion,  2 whole story with 2 different characters all in the same world that all revolved around the same diamond, and rockstar called them a DLC instead of an expansion. as i said, Expansion is just an prettier word

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Alright, it is starting to get really annoying that people still believe this. Let me ask you: what do you do with expansion packs for them to work with the game? You download them. DLC is short for "downloadable content", so expansions fit under this umbrella. 

This claim about it being "the kind of DLC that everybody knows about" is a petty cop-out at best. DLC does not automatically limit itself to the likes of micro-transactions or small-scale items; it applies to everything that is downloadable for the game in question.

So if i buy the game on Steam and download it's content to my SSD, than the whole game would technically be DLC...

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

You actually are; look at the wording here:

downloadable content

"content" means exactly as you have described: they do not work independently, and relate directly to the parent subject. Operating systems, on their own, cannot classify as content, as there is nothing it enhances; it makes the hardware function. Game cannot be called content since they do nothing to directly enhance the operating system they run on; they are user programs.

On the other hand micro-transactions, expansions and mods all count as content, as they add to the core game. Add-ons and extensions both count as content as they add to the core application. Themed gifts are content because (see the pattern here?) they add to the relevant holiday experience, and is useless otherwise.

So if i buy the game on Steam and download it's content to my SSD, than the whole game would technically be DLC...

But a game is not content, as explained above.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

You actually are; look at the wording here:

downloadable content

"content" means exactly as you have described: they do not work independently, and relate directly to the parent subject. Operating systems, on their own, cannot classify as content, as there is nothing it enhances; it makes the hardware function. Game cannot be called content since they do nothing to directly enhance the operating system they run on; they are user programs.

On the other hand micro-transactions, expansions and mods all count as content, as they add to the core game. Add-ons and extensions both count as content as they add to the core application. Themed gifts are content because (see the pattern here?) they add to the relevant holiday experience, and is useless otherwise.

So can I please have your definition of DLC summed up for me? Preferably with an explanation as to why you came up with some of the rules (such as it only applying to games, and it can't be independent).

Here is my definition of DLC summed up: "DLC is a minor addition to a game"

Explanation why that's my definition: "Because that's how the vast majority of people I have heard use the word".

How does a game not count as enhancing the OS? It even directly hooks up to assets in the OS such as DirectX to extend the usability of it. I would argue that all programs you run on your computer enhances the OS by providing extra functionality and features.

That's the problem I got with your definition. You say that DLC is an umbrella term for any content you download, but then you change the definition of content arbitrarily (at least that's what it looks to me).

So an expansion pack to a game is DLC if you downloaded it (if you got it on a DVD then it's not DLC?). But a game for Windows is not DLC even if you downloaded it?

You actually are; look at the wording here:downloadable content

But a game is not content, as explained above.

This whole debate is silly. Whether or not you like CDPR's definition they clearly explained how they view DLC and it is bloody obvious what they ment. All you are doing is intetionally being dense and splitting hairs over something that doesn't fucking matter. Of all the PR bullshit out there calling expansions and DLC different things is far from a big issue. I agree with you that it is all DLC, but I also think we need seperate defintions for the type of content. Maybe Micro-content and expansions or something like that?

Here is my definition of DLC summed up: "DLC is a minor addition to a game"

Explanation why that's my definition: "Because that's how the vast majority of people I have heard use the word".

so according to you @Samfisher is wrong, why are you not saying anything about it ? his theory is GTA EFLC was not an expansion it was an DLC.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

If you telling a woman you last longer than 5 minutes in the sheets but you finish in less than 2 is okay, then go for it. That won't be awkward at all.

Ehhem, I think you missed the point of this rant and good luck with your sextips, I'm sure you will get there some day :P

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Can't you people just wait 2 days before sperging out?

Instead of continuing the circular jerk of how consoles hold back PC gaming, maybe you PC Mustard Rats should ask yourselves why PC developers simply don't care more about the PCs. Its a simple question with a simpler answer; the money isn't there. 

Developers and publishers aren't your friends. They want to make money and minimize costs. Guess what? Setting aside an entire development team for PC is expensive. Its why its rarely done. 

Lets remove consoles from the market. Do you geniuses really think all those CASUAL gamers will go build PCs? LOL. Thats amazing. THEY ARE CASUAL GAMERS FOR A REASON. They see a stupid box for 350 dollars that lets them play COD. Thats all they care to see. So unless one of your vaunted Mustard members is going to give them a 350 dollar box that is as idiot proof, you're not gonna convert people in the way you all think you can. 

I swear to god you people have no bloody idea what the real markets and real consumers are actually like. 

Consoles are an embedded part of the gaming landscape now. Its how a lot of developers make their living, its how they know they can afford to keep the doors open. You think "consoles dying" will be beneficial to anyone in this industry? 

Damn, have I got a bridge to sell you. 

FYI some places actually do make decent gaming rigs to order, just go in, ask for a gaming PC and you get a decent rig. While building your own PC is the best way to get a gaming rig, its not the only way.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

-snip- accidental repost 

PMSL

FYI some places actually do make decent gaming rigs to order, just go in, ask for a gaming PC and you get a decent rig. While building your own PC is the best way to get a gaming rig, its not the only way.

That doesn't mean anything to a normal consumer.

That doesn't mean anything to a normal consumer.

Yes it does, I've had a couple of friends-who know next to nothing about computers-actually get decent rigs by going into their local computer shops and asking for a computer that's good for games and they got what they asked for. (I was well out of touch with modern hardware at that time-so I couldn't warn about the FX 8350 one of them got).

PMSL

Yes it does, I've had a couple of friends-who know next to nothing about computers-actually get decent rigs by going into their local computer shops and asking for a computer that's good for games and they got what they asked for. (I was well out of touch with modern hardware at that time-so I couldn't warn about the FX 8350 one of them got).

Your two friends don't represent the rest of the market.

Your two friends don't represent the rest of the market.

They also knew nothing about computers, case and point.

PMSL

so according to you @Samfisher is wrong, why are you not saying anything about it ? his theory is GTA EFLC was not an expansion it was an DLC.

I haven't played EFLC but wasn't that standalone? I'd call that a game, not an expansion or DLC. Just like how Blood Dragon wasn't DLC or an expansion for FarCry 3.

They also knew nothing about computers, case and point.

Like I said, your friends don't represent the rest of the market. I have friends who don't care for PC gaming. They just want a box they can put a disc in and play. If you argue with patches and updates, then please don't respond.

Like I said, your friends don't represent the rest of the market. I have friends who don't care for PC gaming. They just want a box they can put a disc in and play. If you argue with patches and updates, then please don't respond.

Pmsl, with old consoles you didn't have patches and updates because devs knew that they had to release a game that was finished completely and working properly from launch because people just didn't have good enough internet at the time to download massive patches. Compare the Original Xbox and its games + straight plug and play set up to the Xbone with its frequently buggy games. You really don't know how consoles have evolved over time do you?

PMSL

Meh. Really meh. I was kind of looking forward to a stunning looking game, and now I don't even get water shadows. Why the fuck did they even make console versions at all.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

I haven't played EFLC but wasn't that standalone? I'd call that a game, not an expansion or DLC. Just like how Blood Dragon wasn't DLC or an expansion for FarCry 3.

you can consider whatever you want, ELFC needed the original game at launch, it was an Expansion, not a separate game, if you played the game you would understand that the 3 stories are intertwined like GTA 5's 3 characters, its not a different game like FC BD where the game is set in an imaginary 1980's. but rockstar called it an DLC not an expansion, by which your definition falls short 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Meh. Really meh. I was kind of looking forward to a stunning looking game, and now I don't even get water shadows. Why the fuck did they even make console versions at all.

Because it's an expensive game and they felt that there was no way they could make a good ROI solely from the PC version?