Does anyone actually prefer using 60hz monitors over 144hz?

Profoundsoup

I definitely prefer IPS (or similar) but with 144Hz IPS (style) screens coming out now I no longer have to make the choice of one or the other (or overclocking like I do now).

Apples to apples though I'd always take 144Hz over 60Hz.

What monitors are you talking about that are coming out? 

I prefer using any refresh rate higher than 60Hz, because with my old 85Hz 15" LCD monitor (not screen) I don't get eyestrain headaches. With my 15" 60Hz CRT monitor and 22" 60Hz 1080p LCD screen I get eyestrain headaches. Which really pisses me off when I'm in the middle of a gaming session.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Maybe its just the games I play but having my frame rate at double or higher the refresh rate seems to look much smoother than having them at 60/144fps.

Well with more fps you will not get stutter of course. Some complain about tearing.

Matching fps will cause the smoothest experience though.

I know some people won't notice a difference. Some will. This is very subjective.

I was just trying to clarify that fps and Hz are not completely separate things, they don't really affect each other but you will notice that they should play together well.

Also having a 144Hz panel and only being able to push out 60fps is kinda pointless.

So yeah. And I do agree. Higher fps even on a lower refresh monitor feels better.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Well with more fps you will not get stutter of course. Some complain about tearing.

I know some people won't notice a difference. Some will. This is very subjective.

I was just trying to clarify that fps and Hz are not completely separate things, they don't really affect each other but you will notice that they should play together well.

Also having a 144Hz panel and only being able to push out 60fps is kinda pointless.

So yeah. And I do agree. Higher fps even on a lower refresh monitor feels better.

Actually I find getting 60 fps on a 144hz monitor is quite a bit smoother than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor....

Running 60fps on a 144Hz panel actually helps reduce the appearance of tearing :)

Running 60fps on a 144Hz panel actually helps reduce the appearance of tearing :)

But introduces stutter. Which you will not notice because crazy fast stutter. But still.

Again. I was trying to clarify the technology thing. ;-)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

But introduces stutter. Which you will not notice because crazy fast stutter. But still.

Again. I was trying to clarify the technology thing. ;-)

It shouldn't introduce stutter, stutter comes from buffering a frame in something like V-sync, it causes tearing instead but because its not every frame due to the much higher refresh rate the appearance is reduced.

It shouldn't introduce stutter, stutter comes from buffering a frame in something like V-sync, it causes tearing instead but because its not every frame due to the much higher refresh rate the appearance is reduced.

1. Cost

2. Ignorance

3. Satanic self-confidence in being correct no matter what

Are the 3 top reasons why anyone would say that 60hz is equal or better than 144hz.

1. Cost

2. Ignorance

3. Satanic self-confidence in being correct no matter what

Are the 3 top reasons why anyone would say that 60hz is equal or better than 144hz.

Don't forget panel types....

PMSL

I do. I much prefer having a 4k 60hz monitor than a 1080p or 1440p 144hz display.

hell I'm happy trudging along at 30fps in games that don't require cat like reflexes.

my last monitor upgrade choices consoled of ROG swift and or xb280hk, I chose the 4k variant and really don't regret it.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I honestly don't game enough to be inclined to switch to 144hz, so when I play borderlands or what have you, my existing monitors tend to be fine.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

The first time I loaded up Quake Live on my 144hz monitor, I kicked myself for waiting as long as I did to get one.  As they say in Pure Pwnage, it was like i've been playing a heavy in TF2 all my life and I just switched to a Scout...

Even on day to day stuff, I have a 60hz monitor next to my 144hz one and if I move a window over to the 60hz monitor it almost feels like a powerpoint presentation of my window moving around.  I pretty much just use the 60hz panel for having videos or something playing while I work/play on the 144hz monitor.

The first time I loaded up Quake Live on my 144hz monitor, I kicked myself for waiting as long as I did to get one.  As they say in Pure Pwnage, it was like i've been playing a heavy in TF2 all my life and I just switched to a Scout...

Even on day to day stuff, I have a 60hz monitor next to my 144hz one and if I move a window over to the 60hz monitor it almost feels like a powerpoint presentation of my window moving around.  I pretty much just use the 60hz panel for having videos or something playing while I work/play on the 144hz monitor.

For example? I'm curious what "day to day" stuff would benefit from a 144hz monitor.

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

For example? I'm curious what "day to day" stuff would benefit from a 144hz monitor.

Your eyes and head

PMSL

Everything is smoother lol not even exaggerating 

I'd rather have my 2560x1440 IPS display than a 1080p 144hz at the same price.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Change that to 2560x1440 144Hz IPS and I'd agree. The refresh rate makes a big difference the higher it is (going from 85Hz to 60Hz is noticeable).

PMSL

Change that to 2560x1440 144Hz IPS and I'd agree. The refresh rate makes a big difference the higher it is (going from 85Hz to 60Hz is noticeable).

I'll just sell my car for a monitor and gpu capable of driving it

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Everything is smoother lol not even exaggerating 

I...Think perhaps you're being a touch hyperbolic.

Your eyes and head

That's so funny I almost sharted. Please. Tell me more of this humour you speak of.

/sarcasm

I...Think perhaps you're being a touch hyperbolic.

That's so funny I almost sharted. Please. Tell me more of this humour you speak of.

/sarcasm

Eye strain headaches.......

PMSL

I've used 144 two times now, previously had some VG248QE's that had pretty abysmal color reproduction, I sold those and went 1440p with a PB278Q IPS panel, that was nice but the screen tearing and general laggy-ness was quite annoying.

I've now purchased an ROG swift, and I believe it's the best of both worlds, the speed and fluidity of 144hz, 1ms response and G-Sync, coupled with VERY VERY good color reproduction, it's VERY close to my PB278Q in terms of colors.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I recently picked up 2xQ2770PQU monitors by AOC - Semi Glossy IPS Panels, and the colours on them are superb. I finally broke though, and after much deliberation got rid of my LG29EA93-P. Also IPS, but the fact that it was 1440p was starting to seriously get to me.

yes because mines a 42" lol

not sure if they make 144 42 inch monitors lol