Choosing graphics card. Need help!

lubblig

Hi!

I'm a bit new to building my own pc and choosing the right components for the build and everything. I have watched Linus's videos for a long time though so it did go quite smoothly with most parts but when it came to the graphics card I wasn't sure on what to pick. Cause, I don't need the cards that costs super much and maybe is more for like video editing- and picture stuff. I just want a card for maybe 300$ or something that can handle the latest games good. But is this possible? Or well am I correct? Can a card for about 250 - 300$ handle the latest games good? I've been looking at two cards: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 and Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA. What would you recommend (I'm guessing the asus since its more expensive but still.) and would that be a good card to buy or do you think I should go even higher in price to get a more expensive card and more performance?

I have read somewhere that the chipset (guessing the motherboard one) is either a Nvidia or ATI so Geforce or Radeon or in my case the Asus or XFX. It is designed so that both will work but it is designed especifically for one and will work better with that. Is this true? In that case how do you find out? My motherboard is the MSI Z77A-G43, Socket-1155. It says that it's chipset name is Intel Z77 Express.

I'm as you may here not too sure about any of this stuff but if any one of you have the time, can you please help me!

I would appreciate it a lot!

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Any graphics card will work with any rig. The 7870 is a pretty solid card itself, but I say, for the 660ti, if you can, get the 670 in place of it. I'm sure if you browse around enough, there is bound to be a 670 for around 300 dollars with rebate and such.

Antec 1100

Asrock 970 Extreme4

955 @ 3.5Ghz

XMS3 16gb

Spahhire HD 7950

OCZ ModXStream 700W

OCZ Agility 3 120GB

Hi! I'm a bit new to building my own pc and choosing the right components for the build and everything.

Welcome!

when it came to the graphics card I wasn't sure on what to pick. Cause' date=' I don't need the cards that costs super much and maybe is more for like video editing- and picture stuff.[/quote']

High-End GPUs aren't going to do much unless you're doing professional level stuff. Most of the work will be done by the CPU, so more threads and cores means faster rendering, etc.

just want a card for maybe 300$ or something that can handle the latest games good. But is this possible?

Linus' latest video on his FPS bench method and showdown breaks down the prices of some good GPUs in the $100, $200, and $300 range. ATI took home all the bacon when it comes to FPS per dollar, especially when you can overclock most if not all of the newer generation cards with no or little effort.

$100 = GTX 650 vs Radeon 7770

$200 = GTX 660 vs Radeon 7870

$300 = GTX 660Ti vs Radeon 7950

Personally if you're looking for FPS per dollar then ATI wins hands down. I am also a Nvidia fan boy and have been running my GTX 470 for years now without issues and overclocked. Still haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. Though if I did, I might go ATI since it's more bang for the buck and I'm not too worried about PhysX since I am running a 3770k ;)

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

7850 overclocked can beat the 7870 but do u want to void the card warranty

Any graphics card will work with any rig. The 7870 is a pretty solid card itself, but I say, for the 660ti, if you can, get the 670 in place of it. I'm sure if you browse around enough, there is bound to be a 670 for around 300 dollars with rebate and such.
Ok, Im glad to hear that I can get any card to my pc and what I read was just some scam or something... But anyway, I looked around and couldn't find a card at the price point I want. (Just so you know, I am from Sweden so the 300$ was not an exact number just like a transfer from the swedish SEK to dollars so I don't think you can help me unless you are swedish. And if you are I want a card for about 2700 SEK or less.) But now, if you really would recommend one of the cards I've been looking at, the XFX or ASUS. Which would you pick?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

I'd personally say go for the 660ti, just because I'm an NVIDIA fanboy and refuse to buy anything else, but the Radeon card is quite good. Though, I really like the ASUS cards just because of their aesthetics and cooling, so just one more plus for the 660ti.

Hi! I'm a bit new to building my own pc and choosing the right components for the build and everything.

Welcome!

when it came to the graphics card I wasn't sure on what to pick. Cause' date=' I don't need the cards that costs super much and maybe is more for like video editing- and picture stuff.[/quote']

High-End GPUs aren't going to do much unless you're doing professional level stuff. Most of the work will be done by the CPU, so more threads and cores means faster rendering, etc.

just want a card for maybe 300$ or something that can handle the latest games good. But is this possible?

Linus' latest video on his FPS bench method and showdown breaks down the prices of some good GPUs in the $100, $200, and $300 range. ATI took home all the bacon when it comes to FPS per dollar, especially when you can overclock most if not all of the newer generation cards with no or little effort.

$100 = GTX 650 vs Radeon 7770

$200 = GTX 660 vs Radeon 7870

$300 = GTX 660Ti vs Radeon 7950

Personally if you're looking for FPS per dollar then ATI wins hands down. I am also a Nvidia fan boy and have been running my GTX 470 for years now without issues and overclocked. Still haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. Though if I did, I might go ATI since it's more bang for the buck and I'm not too worried about PhysX since I am running a 3770k ;)

Listen to this bloke!! He knows what he's on about.

I would say the GTX 660Ti just because I know AMD/ATi cards have some driver problems which really makes them disappointing. If you can find a GTX 670, get one. :P

\

also, if you can get the OC version of the 660ti, i think the warranty will cover any OC you make on it, but don't quote me on that, the gigabyte gtx 660ti is a very good buy, also cheaper than the ASUS if you can not afford that one :D

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

660ti is more in the range of a 7950, maybe a bit between the 7870 and 7950 but both are fine choises.. If you want high res go with the 7950 due to memory and bandwith...

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I would say the GTX 660Ti just because I know AMD/ATi cards have some driver problems which really makes them disappointing. If you can find a GTX 670, get one. :P
What driver problems exactly ? have you used an ATi card recently ?

I've been running an ATi HD 4870 1GB card for 4 and a half years and I've never ran into driver problems , I swear I have no idea where you guys get this "oh ati drivers are not good" thing .

The HD 7950 is slightly faster than the 660Ti and you should find it for the same price, also when it's overclocked it's just as fast a GTX 670 which is insane .

Check out some of Linus's videos on the subject :

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hjT0Ktoqw

Recent review from HardwareCanucks , Linus's favorite tech website .

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/59265-his-hd-7970-iceq-x-hd-7950-iceq-x-review-3.html

HD7970-ICEQ-32.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-36.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-39.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-44.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-48.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-52.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-56.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-60.jpg

HD7970-ICEQ-64.jpg

Well I watched the latesed video (kinda) of Linustechtips with the graphics cards and he is using MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA. I don't no to much about these brandings and stuff but it seems like it is the exact same card but from MSI? But anyway, if you would choose, the MSI 660Ti or ASUS 660Ti? What would it be?

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

I inherently trust Asus more than msi. Plus I've heard msi cooler fans get wonky after a while but that's just whispers. Can't really go wrong but I would personally get a 670 over a 660ti and probably a 7970 (or even a 7950) over both.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

What driver problems exactly ? have you used an ATi card recently ? I've been running an ATi HD 4870 1GB card for 4 and a half years and I've never ran into driver problems ' date=' I swear I have no idea where you guys get this "oh ati drivers are not good" thing .[/quote']

I think it depends on the model. I have a pc with HD 5770 CFX and they cause the pc to bluescreen a lot.

\

I inherently trust Asus more than msi. Plus I've heard msi cooler fans get wonky after a while but that's just whispers. Can't really go wrong but I would personally get a 670 over a 660ti and probably a 7970 (or even a 7950) over both.

Yeah a 7950 is a better choice than the 660 Ti, a lot faster than the 660 Ti, the 670 is good, but it's out of his price range unfortunately .

7970 is excellent I would recommend it to anyone, best card out there right now I think .

Well I watched the latesed video (kinda) of Linustechtips with the graphics cards and he is using MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA. I don't no to much about these brandings and stuff but it seems like it is the exact same card but from MSI? But anyway, if you would choose, the MSI 660Ti or ASUS 660Ti? What would it be?

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Don't expect to get the same performance results as Linus with the 660 ti, because that card had the triple over voltage feature, but the new MSI 660 Ti cards don't have it because nVidia forced MSI to stop the overvolting .

Asus is better I believe , but like the guys have been saying I'd still recommend the 7950 over the 660 Ti.

Ok, I looked at the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 instead and where I buy my components (komplett.se this is a swedish website) there was some people that had made some comments saying that it was awesome and when he was playing bf3 on ultra he got 60-70 fps and the card was still pretty cold because of it's three fans and it was according to him pretty quite. This card is even cheaper then the others too.

Is this the one I should go with instead? What do you guys suggest/think?

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Seems good to me.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

Ok, thank you guys for all your help! I'll go with the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5.

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

PCPP: