College Computing setup. Apple Overkill

steve5900

SP3?

• 2 weeks later...

but wont buying a 4k monitor cost almost as much as just buying an imac

but wont buying a 4k monitor cost almost as much as just buying an imac

Well .. no ,If you were going to buy the 3.5 GHz iMac it would cost you around 2700$. 

You could spend 1300$ (PQ321Q) on a monitor and the rest on the pc itself :P I was thinking of a i7-4790k and a GTX980 or a GTX 970. :)

aren't really overpriced for what they are, nor are they notebooks.

IMHO they are just useless fashion statements like 99% of all 'smart' watches.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-360-23mm-smartwatch-for-android-devices-4-3-or-higher-stone-leather/9169039.p?id=1219398153089&skuId=9169039

this is a really nice android watch for $100 cheaper, and i bet you can find it cheaper somewhere else

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Dell XPS 13. Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. ASUS ZenBook UX305. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. 

Don't waste your money because other people are wasting their money.

i Think he wants something a bit more power considering the options he has given

I am Thinking you sould just get a really powerful PC laptop considering if your going into computer science PC will probably be more useful i would go with an MSI GS60 Ghost it is thin, light, and would be poweful enough for all your needs

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

i Think he wants something a bit more power considering the options he has given

I am Thinking you sould just get a really powerful PC laptop considering if your going into computer science PC will probably be more useful i would go with an MSI GS60 Ghost it is thin, light, and would be poweful enough for all your needs

You don't need a powerful computer for computer science...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

You don't need a powerful computer for computer science...

i know but clearly wants power if he might even consider a mac pro......

Do you NEED a 5k screen?

Do you NEED a maxed out Macbook?

Buy what you NEED, not what you WANT

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Do you NEED a 5k screen?

Do you NEED a maxed out Macbook?

Buy what you NEED, not what you WANT

Why not buy what he wants if it matches what he needs (and he can afford it).

Tired exhausted argument but I don't recall anybody every really NEEDING a Mercedes.

In any case, for the OP. If the M370X in the refreshed 15" MacBook Pro does deliver the 80% performance increase over the 750m that Apple claims it does grabbing one of those and an external monitor would probably fit the bill. I suppose it depends on how much gaming and/or general GPU power you need. 

Why not buy what he wants if it matches what he needs (and he can afford it).

Tired exhausted argument but I don't recall anybody every really NEEDING a Mercedes.

In any case, for the OP. If the M370X in the refreshed 15" MacBook Pro does deliver the 80% performance increase over the 750m that Apple claims it does grabbing one of those and an external monitor would probably fit the bill. I suppose it depends on how much gaming and/or general GPU power you need.

A college student spending thousands of dollars on stuff he doesn't need is different from a successful person buying a Mercedes

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

• 2 weeks later...

we are definitely not talking about a Mercedes here. These are also graduation gifts so it's not about what I need it is about what I want. This thread is about what people think I should get not a thread discussing the morals of need vs want.

I would go for the Macbook Pro 15" with the R9 card

This way you can still get a 2560X1440p display for your dorm.

It the worst feeling being in class and looking for a document and realizing its on your desktop machine and not on the laptop (I know cloud storage would mitigate this, but for some file's this would be too big)

pls dont fall in to apples over priced tech pit

Base model's aren't overpriced. Like at all.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I do plan on using cloud based storage

I would like to use cloud storage too, but iMovie creates all files in library at over a few months becomes incredibly big.

I would suggest getting the new 15" MacBook Pro laptop, I believe the graphics in it are as powerful as the iMac 5k first graphic option, just upgrade it all the way and it will last you ~3 years

Python/C# Programming

Code to learn, don't learn to code. -Napalm