I've got a decent rig, but I can't use it at its best. What can I do?

veimiK

There is only one true answer. Minesweeper.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It is better that your PC can do more than you ask of it. I'd rather have that than a system that can't do what I need.

You're all making me jealous. I'd be maxing out every game I had if I had a PC that good... :/

3D modeling is a really good one. I made my profile picture myself on my i3 rig and it took 10 minutes to render. Normally slightly more complex objects take an hour for me to render.

Not trying to derail the topic, but what is the best 3d modeling/rendering software that is free?

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Stream your games in high res and maybe at high FPS! :)

3D modeling is a really good one. I made my profile picture myself on my i3 rig and it took 10 minutes to render. Normally slightly more complex objects take an hour for me to render.

an 32 polygon figure took you computer 10 minutes to render..?

EVGA GTX 970 - i5 4460 - Enthoo Pro M

Run 4K? More monitors? Be happy you're not using all resources so you won't need to upgrade with better games coming out?

blackshades on

Go to Lynda.com.

Learn to edit video.

Become a Freelance Video Editor.

Make Money.

Another option:

Go to folding.stanford.edu

Go ahead and start folding

Another option:

Setup some VMs

Rent out the Processing Power of the VMs while your not using the computer

I got nothing more.

Start learning programming and get into neural networks, you'll soon wish for a small rack with at least about 4-6 xeons and 200gb+ of ram total split between perhaps 2 or 3 servers. 

Oh and almost forgot eventually you'll want to get quadro gpus for your small servers so you can use dat GPU power.

Browse through Lynda.com and see if there's anything that interests you.

Knowing PHP or MySQL are always skills that employers are looking for.

Please stop recommending php as a first language, its terrible for that. 

Not trying to derail the topic, but what is the best 3d modeling/rendering software that is free?

Free? Probably Blender^^

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302