The MOST Compact Gaming PC - Titan X & 18 Core Xeon in a Shoebox

In the Core Components it's listed that you guys used an HDD for a storage drive but in the video that is never shown and to my understand about the case having the SDDs and the HDD at the same time wouldn't be possible, unless you guys mounted the HDD where the SDDs were originally going as you guys did end up finishing the build with them over the PSU.

Either way, was a storage HDD used?

In the Core Components it's listed that you guys used an HDD for a storage drive but in the video that is never shown and to my understand about the case having the SDDs and the HDD at the same time wouldn't be possible, unless you guys mounted the HDD where the SDDs were originally going as you guys did end up finishing the build with them over the PSU.

Either way, was a storage HDD used?

No HDD used. Sorry.

Would it be crazy to build this rig and use it as my main setup (for like the next decade or something lol)? Or do you think the heat would become a problem over prolonged use?

I really like the idea of having a small but powerful rig. Also, I noticed you didn't use the stock fan that comes with the H80i any reason for that? 

Since I'm gunna be using the i7 as opposed to the Xeon, should that make a difference in heat?

Here are the components I'm doing differently:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  

Graphics: VGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you  :lol:

Would it be crazy to build this rig and use it as my main setup (for like the next decade or something lol)? Or do you think the heat would become a problem over prolonged use?

I really like the idea of having a small but powerful rig. Also, I noticed you didn't use the stock fan that comes with the H80i any reason for that?

Since I'm gunna be using the i7 as opposed to the Xeon, should that make a difference in heat?

Here are the components I'm doing differently:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Graphics: VGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you :lol:

that psu might get a little stressed if you overclock at all. The two cards have the same tdp but remember the xeon can't be overclocked. The 980ti should run cooler than the titan x so that's nice and we'll I would only say that if you were serious about small form factor at this price point I would highly suggest a fury x. (Btw you would want a different mobo as well.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well, I watched this video many times now.

I really like this case. It's maybe the closest thing in look as the Shuttle XPC-s, specially with the other front.

The build looked really fun,it's an overkill, but I am not complaining, because that was the goal all along.

About cooling, the front fan suck in fresh air from outside, and the psus fan suck out the hot air from inside, mostly from the cpu area but some from the VGA  as well (because of the tight space).

The PSU was an unnecessary headache, a shorter PSU would be easier. I wouldn't use an SFX PSU, a shorter ATX PSU is the best choice (imho) 

If one SSD is enough (it would be for me), there is a place on the bottom.

I have to admit the two Intel SSD look badass seeing from outside :)

When I first saw this case, I was a bit worried about VGA length limitations, but I guess, it would be enough for a decent VGA, if the Titan X fits in there. Radeon HD 7990 is definitely a no go, but for that I would use the CM Elite 130.

SG06 has almost similar size, but it accept only SFX PSU, and using a liquid cooler it needs some modding, so SG13 is a better choice imho. 

Becuase of another video, I started to like that case also, but I want to use an ATX PSU instead of an SFX/SFX-L PSU.

Choosing the front variation is not so easy, the mesh one gets way more air, for cooling, but the other one is way more elegant (on pictures, I haven't seen them in real life)

Thanks for this video Linus  :)

(P.S.: English is not my native language so, if I made some mistakes, sorry)

Hello LinusTech,

Could you please tell me if I can use 3.5" HDD with following SG13 build? Thank you.

I only have one M.2 SSD and one 3.5" HDD(no 2.5" SSD/HDD) but bit worried that Corsair H60 radiator/fan might block the HDD bay, etc.

SG13B System Spec:
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
HSF: Corsair Hydro H60
M/B: Asus Z97i-PLUS
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400
GPU: 2GB Asus GTX750Ti Strix
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2
HDD: 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 3.5"
Case: SilverStone SG13B Mesh
PSU: SilverStone SX500-LG

I'll change the cooler to Noctua NH-L9i low-profile heatsink/fan if I can't use 3.5" HDD with the Corsair H60.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what wifi card that is?

Hi,

I have Z97E-ITX/ac which according to specification list is the same.

I think it is a broadcom chip but on my windows it is listed as:

ASUS PCE-AC66 802.11ac Network Adapter

with hardware id:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_43B1&SUBSYS_21231A3B&REV_03

I hope this helps.

No HDD used. Sorry.

Hi,

I really like the build.

Mine is going to be a little different you may find here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DLGkK8

@LinusTech could you please help me by checking is it possible to have 6 sata and one m.2 on X99E-ITX/ac mothreboard.

thank you in advance and keep the good work

• 3 weeks later...

…is it possible to have 6 sata and one m.2 on X99E-ITX/ac mothreboard.

When I put the motherboard in question into PCPartsPicker, and then add in a M.2 SSD, it tells me that I would lose two of the six available SATA ports…

I am also very interested in this case for building a compact Hackintosh for playing WoW, watching videos & surfing the web…

Basic Gigabyte H97 board, mid-line i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 2TB HDD (2.5") & EVGA 4GB GFX 960 SC GPU…

I plan on using a Silverstone Strider PSU, the 550w ATX one that is only 140mm deep, almost like it was made for this case…

I would also use the Silverstone short cable kit, or maybe even think about having some custom cables made. I mention custom cables only because I would need four cables & I think the Silverstone ones may still be too long for some areas? So not like an entire expensive set, just a smaller less expensive set. I would need the 24-pin & 8-pin to the motherboard/CPU, a 6-pin to the GPU & a SATA power with dual connections on the drive side. Only other cables (aside from the ones the case comes with) would be a pair of 10" SATA data cables & the fan/CPU block cables from the CM Seidon 120V.

My main question is towards fan usage…

I would plan on replacing the fan the CM unit comes with for an ugly brown model. Now, I know the case is designed on Positive Pressure, but maybe having the fan blow the radiator heat out the front & have the PSU suck the heat off of the motherboard would be best…?!?

Thoughts…!?!

• 2 weeks later...

ey Linus, just wanted to say that im a huge fan but up until today havent joined the community.  anyway i wanted to let you know that i just did nearly the exactly the same build

1 Silverstone Sugo Series SG13 Small Form Factor Chassis Mesh

1 Intel Core i7 5930K

1 Corsair Hydro Series H80i 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler

1 Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X G1 Gaming 8GB

1 Western Digital WD Green 6TB WD60EZRX  

2 LG 29UM67-P 29in Ultrawide FreeSync IPS LED Gaming Monitor

1 ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Motherboard $399.00 $399.00

1 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black  

1 Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 SSD

1 Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply

but yeah what you think of my build :D, and man that was a tight squeeze and currently using it as we speak

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Hi Linus & Luke,

I am super inspired by this video. I've bought a Sugo13 and found a Xeon E5-2683v3 14-core on Ebay. The X99E Asrock is on its way. The motherboard manual says it supports XMP 2.0 memory. The X99 chipset supports this also.

But I am doubtful because the Xeon has all multipliers locked and the Intel website on XMP says this is supported only on unlocked CPUs.

If XMP is not supported in my scenario then I could save a few bucks by going for DDR4-2133 instead of a DDR4-3000. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Steven.

Lol im putting a 1000W Platinum PSU in mine just to be SLI prouf when I go SLI.

Out of curiosity, is there a technical reason you put in a 760W PSU when the system doesn't break 400W? I know you want to have some headroom, but this seems like it just made the build more difficult. Or was it just a part you happened to have lying around?

Hi @LinusTech , Could you or anyone tell me if the following build would work fine? Would it last? I really feel like if I do it, imna burn all my parts out. Here are the following part. Im replicating your build except Z170N rather than x99. Can you or anyone tell me if this would be a safe and stable build?

Case: SG-13B

CPU: i7 6700k

Memory: 32gb Ram 3200mhz

PSU :1000W Platinum Silent EVGA PSU

Storage: Samsung 950 Pro m.2 nvme SSD

Mobo: Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 Motherboard

GPU: EVGA GTX 980TI FTW

Cooling: Corsair H80i Water cooling

Lol and I know the 1000W isn't needed, its for future proofing.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to see another extreme mini-ITX build BUT with the new 22-core Xeon E5 v4 "Broadwell", 2400MHz DDR4 memory, M.2 SSD, and a EVGA Titan X hybrid, Fury X, or liquid cooled Fury Nano. Might help to use Corsair's Hydro Series H5 low-profile CPU cooler.

Push the boundaries of what's possible Linus!

39 minutes ago, iMLG said:

I'd like to see another extreme mini-ITX build BUT with the new 22-core Xeon E5 v4 "Broadwell", 2400MHz DDR4 memory, M.2 SSD, and a EVGA Titan X hybrid, Fury X, or liquid cooled Fury Nano. Might help to use Corsair's Hydro Series H5 low-profile CPU cooler.

Push the boundaries of what's possible Linus!

no white that new gpu stuff that amd i gona launch at the end of this year or early next year

btw welcome to the forums

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this would be amazing for my work. 

I travel internationally and currently only use an ASUS ROG G551JM because I take it on the airplane with me. 

I could pack this and a good monitor into a Pelican Case and fly it under the plane to where ever I'm going and set it up once I arrive. Good Job!! 

i9-12900k | RTX 3080-Ti Gaming OC | 64 GB Ram | Odyssey Neo G9

Car Audio Enthusiast 
www.bassahaulic.com 

• 2 weeks later...

Having probably watched this video 20 times now, it's inspired me to put together my own SG-13 rig - I really wish long-form versions of these videos were available so you could see the issues with fitting so much in a tiny case, and how they managed to get around those problems. (Specifically when it comes to CPU cooling - they went for the H80i, but it sounds like it wasn't an easy fit.) 

Like bassahaulic I travel a lot internationally but don't want to be without my PC games (at a solid 60 fps), and the last time I traveled with a midi tower case in my suitcase it didn't end well. What with my old PC dying a slow death (a dead motherboard forced me to get a replacement with no overclocking support), I came up with this spec to replace it while reusing one of my old graphics cards.

CPU - i7-6700K. (Seemed better suited for gaming than the 5830K.)

Motherboard - Asus Z170I Pro Gaming. (The lack of a M.2-2280 slot on the Asus Maximus VIII Impact puts me off.)

RAM - Corsair DDR4-2666 CL16 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX

PSU - SilverStone SX500-LG/500W (SFX-L to give myself more room to work with, but still has a 120mm fan so not too loud.)

Graphics card - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (I'm not gaming at 4K, so it'll do.)

Storage - My plan is to use an M.2-2280 SSD (maybe the 512GB Plextor M6e) for the primary boot drive (for faster speeds and saving space), and a 6TB 3.5 inch drive for mass storage.

CPU cooling - Corsair H80i. However.... here's where I'm worried. I'm guessing the H80i is what's preventing them from using the SSD space at the bottom of the case, but from what I can tell it's also getting in the way of the SSDs in their first attempt at placing them. And if they can't get a couple of SSDs in their intended locations, it sounds like a 3.5 inch drive is never going to fit. Does anyone have any advice on what would be a good option here? Is an H80i just an impossible option if you want to have anything more than a single M.2 drive? (Or if you're willing to do what they did and stick the drives to the top of the PSU.)

• 4 months later...

Awesome project. 

Linus, have you ever thought about building a rugged portable PC?

Have you seen the multi screen monster workstations that are available?

Love to see what you would with that.

• 8 months later...

Hey Linus love the build but I noticed in the video and parts list you used a 80i, which I also just received for the same build, but this part doesn't fit. Did you use some other heatsink or did you make some mod to it that I missed in the video? Sorry to bring up something so old but would really appreciate any info you can share, thank you!

On 4/4/2017 at 8:17 PM, EndZz said:

Hey Linus love the build but I noticed in the video and parts list you used a 80i, which I also just received for the same build, but this part doesn't fit. Did you use some other heatsink or did you make some mod to it that I missed in the video? Sorry to bring up something so old but would really appreciate any info you can share, thank you!

Last time I watched I believe he did a bit of modding.

The geek himself.

Thanks, I used a dremel to cut a notch into the new mount and it seems to be working well. Thanks or the reply.

• 1 year later...

Hey i know this is an outdated string but does anybody suggest any things that could be changed to get more power out of it in 2018 for almost the same price and same size?

• 6 months later...

I know that this thread is very old with the last comment being 6 months ago! But I've always wanted to do a build in the SG13B. So I've got my parts on the way and will be sure to update everyone on the progress. Here's my pcpartpicker.com list! I know it's not an ideal build but I'm open to suggestions for future improvements :)