gigabit issues with Intel® I218V NIC

Go to solution Solved by Neil,

Just pulled my wndr3700 out of cold storage.

It's running DDWRT, but with auto-negotiate on, it was able to saturate the full gigabit to three test machines, as well as put good throughput on a gigabit switch to the machines.

Either it's something with your NIC, or you just need to use auto-negotiate. According to the documentation for the router, the ports are auto-negotiate.. so you don't need to specify a link speed, it will communicate and figure it out.

so i got a new dual-band gigabit router from netgear(wndr3700) and hooked it up to my pc with a Maximus Vll Hero which support gigabit ethernet. i have all my drivers installed correctly yet in device manager it shows my connection as 100mbps FullDuplex and when i try changing it to 1gigabit FullDuplex it says that no cable has been connected. i am using cat6 cables. i'm getting ready to setup a storage server like linus's but at 1gigabit speeds. 

post-40319-0-84334400-1431197728.png

so i got a new dual-band gigabit router from netgear(wndr3700) and hooked it up to my pc with a Maximus Vll Hero which support gigabit ethernet. i have all my drivers installed correctly yet in device manager it shows my connection as 100mbps FullDuplex and when i try changing it to 1gigabit FullDuplex it says that no cable has been connected. i am using cat6 cables. i'm getting ready to setup a storage server like linus's but at 1gigabit speeds. 

Did you try Auto Negotiation? Sometimes if both ports are not set to the same value you can't establish a connection. This could also have something to do with the cable, badly terminated of even disruptions somewhere. I had that happen to me a million times. Try swapping the cable for another one and see if it works.

Issues like that is usually caused by the cable, how long is the cable between the two devices and have you tried switching cables?

Did you try Auto Negotiation? Sometimes if both ports are not set to the same value you can't establish a connection. This could also have something to do with the cable, badly terminated of even disruptions somewhere. I had that happen to me a million times. Try swapping the cable for another one and see if it works.

i have tried using different cables. and the cable i use is about 30inches long

when set on auto negotiations it still is stuck on 100mbps

your using an older driver

try updating

what version of the router is it...should say on the label

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

also..how exactly are you connected?

is it from the pc to the router directly

or is it into the wall..then to the router?

also..how exactly are you connected?

is it from the pc to the router directly

or is it into the wall..then to the router?

pc to router directly

pc to router directly

and version?

and version?

router version v4. and i downloaded the latest driver last night before making this post.

Are you sure you're plugging into the right port on the router? Iirc only a couple of the ports on that router are gigabit.

Also, get rid of netgears Shitty software and flash ddwrt.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Are you sure you're plugging into the right port on the router? Iirc only a couple of the ports on that router are gigabit.

Also, get rid of netgears Shitty software and flash ddwrt.

all ports on the router are gigabit so that's not a problem. plus i'd like to stick to netgear's rom for now

all ports on the router are gigabit so that's not a problem. plus i'd like to stick to netgear's rom for now

Netgear's firmware is the shittiest piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure of using. You would be doing yourself a favor by not using it.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Netgear's firmware is the shittiest piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure of using. You would be doing yourself a favor by not using it.

can we get back to the original issue please?

Just pulled my wndr3700 out of cold storage.

It's running DDWRT, but with auto-negotiate on, it was able to saturate the full gigabit to three test machines, as well as put good throughput on a gigabit switch to the machines.

Either it's something with your NIC, or you just need to use auto-negotiate. According to the documentation for the router, the ports are auto-negotiate.. so you don't need to specify a link speed, it will communicate and figure it out.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer