Keurig says it was wrong to force users to buy single-serving pods

keurig-intro.png

Oh you don't say Keurig? You don't say that coming with some arbitrary DRM on your single serve coffee cups was bad? Really? You, who hard what might've been considered one of the more popular systems on the market because of how easy it ws to use your own grinds and combinations without needing to "hack" your own coffee maker. 

Giving the age old reminder that companies only give a shit when it affects their bottom line, they reversed their decision AFTER it killed their stock prices. Not before. Not a day or two after the decision. Nope. 

Last year, Keurig drew the ire of the Internet by incorporatinga scheme similar to the Digital Rights Management (DRM) you see on e-books and video games into its Keurig 2.0 coffee maker. The next-generation machine forced users to brew with Keurig-approved coffee pods exclusively, using a digital scanner that looks for an ink marker on authorized K-cups. The company also discontinued its “My K-Cup” reusable pod, which meant that customers could no longer use their own coffee in a Keurig.

The response was swift, and people soon discovered that a simple piece of tape covering the scanner would override the “Oops!” message that off-brand coffee pod-buying scoundrels received from the machine. One family-owned coffee company, the Rogers Family Company, even produced its own “Freedom Clip” that did the same thing as the tape but with a saucier name. Jim Rogers, the Rogers Family Company vice president, told Ars in February, “We decided to offer the Freedom Clip for free, because we found Keurig’s attempt to lock out other coffees offensive. We thought it would be fun to give the giant, Keurig, a little poke."

It turns out that lots of customers also found that attempt offensive and voted with their dollars. Although Keurig's total revenue was up 2 percent for the quarter, the company's sales of brewers and accessories were down 23 percent. While pod sales were up 14 percent, Keurig Chief Financial Officer Fran Rathke said that shipments of pods by volume were below the company's expectations due to a “somewhat higher than expected consumer price elasticity at retail.”

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/keurig-stock-drops-10-percent-says-it-was-wrong-about-drm-coffee-pods/

DRM for coffee. 

what a time to be alive. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DRM for coffee. 

what a time to be alive. 

Haha contender for comment of the year right here. 

Thanks for sharing OP :)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Fortunately where I live there are tons of bars that make good and cheap coffee

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Fortunately where I live there are tons of bars that make good and cheap coffee

I hear Mordor has the best coffee, right after Seattle.

I use mine for tea, most of their coffee im not a fan in it.

-snip-

This is a news post, based on what I saw on Ars Tech. I don't understand what your post is trying to imply. I'm not trying to get their attention. This came directly from them. This is for the benefit of those on this forum who want to read news that isn't shitposting against a company or fanboy wars for their favourite company. 

There's a reason I never bought one of these. It's so much cheaper to just buy beans and load them in to my coffee maker.

Always trying to find reason.

My sister was all excited to get one of these ridiculous coffee machines, I laughed so very hard when should couldn't use the non keurig coffee pods.

I'm still laughing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out how people think coffee tastes good  :rolleyes:

tea ftw

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out how people thing coffee tastes good  :rolleyes:

tea ftw

I'm still trying to figure out how people can drink either one. Both taste like water that's been filtered through dirt to me.

#sodamasterrace

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm still trying to figure out how people can drink either one. Both taste like water that's been filtered through dirt to me.

#sodamasterrace

Starbucks m8. It's like melted chocolate and caramel in a cup.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

#sodamasterrace

#ididntchoosethedirtlifedirtlifechoseme

#islayscotch #watercress #peatbogforlife

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Starbucks m8. It's like melted chocolate and caramel in a cup.

I'll take _actual_ melted chocolate and caramel in a cup thanks.

#sodamasterrace

Good coffee is delicious. It's thick, rich... It's similar to cocoa without a shitton of sugar. I can't speak good on behalf of team though.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

DRM shit, get bitten in the ass. An occurrence that's becoming more frequent.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

#sodamasterrace

You are clearly not been drinking the right Tea/Coffee ... Both are amazing if you know how to make them to give up the aroma and taste . We make coffee differently here and it is amazing ... 

I don't like America's Coffee Machine ... it taste really bland like you said ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Good coffee is delicious. It's thick, rich... It's similar to cocoa without a shitton of sugar. I can't speak good on behalf of team though.

Yeah, we have some espresso things that are basically just kettles that force the hot water/steam through the ground coffee into a jug. It is visibly thicker and more viscous than filtered coffee ever could be.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

You are clearly not been drinking the right Tea/Coffee ... Both are amazing if you know how to make them to give up the aroma and taste . We make coffee differently here and it is amazing ... 

I don't like America's Coffee Machine ... it taste really bland like you said ... 

Turkish Coffee is really enjoyable if you know how to make and drink it properly. American coffee is bad in my opinion because they use subpar beans a lot and don't have the slightest inkling of proper roasting. Here they think a "dark roast" is you burning the coffee beans.

I only drink MAP coffee.  Not because I am some snob but because I have access to boxes and boxes of pods from the factory for freeeeeeee!   I can't drink instant anymore.

If that supply ever dries up I might swap to a machine that can be refilled or take multiple brand pods.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Turkish Coffee is really enjoyable if you know how to make and drink it properly. American coffee is bad in my opinion because they use subpar beans a lot and don't have the slightest inkling of proper roasting. Here they think a "dark roast" is you burning the coffee beans.

Americans and they untrue coffee ... I agree ... Turkish ways of making coffee is similiar to Vietnam's . Only we use a " Phin " ( Fin ) to hold the the coffee powder ... We don't put them in pots and brew them like Turkish do ... We pour hot water into the Phin that is filled with Roasted and Crushed coffee beans ( That powder ) . In the phin there's a compressor that keeps the coffee powder in place so when you pour hot water in ... The water seeps through the coffee , allowing it to produce the aroma and strong , strong bitterness .

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Americans and they untrue coffee ... I agree ... Turkish ways of making coffee is similiar to Vietnam's . Only we use a " Phin " ( Fin ) to hold the the coffee powder ... We don't put them in pots and brew them like Turkish do ... We pour hot water into the Phin that is filled with Roasted and Crushed coffee beans ( That powder ) . In the phin there's a compressor that keeps the coffee powder in place so when you pour hot water in ... The water seeps through the coffee , allowing it to produce the aroma and strong , strong bitterness .

I don't mind how the Turks do it with the coffee in the cup itself because when you let it sit to brew for a few minutes it stays at the bottom so you won't end up drinking the powder. I think it adds a nice coffee flavor because when you drink it the coffee continues to mix adding a really rich flavor.

I don't mind how the Turks do it with the coffee in the cup itself because when you let it sit to brew for a few minutes it stays at the bottom so you won't end up drinking the powder. I think it adds a nice coffee flavor because when you drink it the coffee continues to mix adding a really rich flavor.

I would like to taste Turkish Coffee one day ... 

I would like to taste Turkish Coffee one day ... 

You should, it's pretty good. :)