HDMI and why can run 144hz

Colt_0pz

So i got my Monitor yesterday it's an Acer GN246HL at 144hz. I wanted to try the monitor out so i plugged in a hdmi cable (i didn't have a dvi port or a MiniDP to dvi adapter) and it ran only at 60hz. Why can't hdmi 1.4 go higher than 60hz regardless of resolution?

EDIT: wrong title. meant to say why HDMI can't run at 144hz

EDIT: can i change the title>?

EDIT: i have 2 DL-DVI cables with me

because the highest HDMI is capable of is 60hz, you need a dual link dvi cable or display port for 144hz.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

So i got my Monitor yesterday it's an Acer GN246HL at 144hz. I wanted to try the monitor out so i plugged in a hdmi cable (i didn't have a dvi port or a MiniDP to dvi adapter) and it ran only at 60hz. Why can't hdmi 1.4 go higher than 60hz regardless of resolution?

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 1080p @ 144Hz, likely due to bandwidth restraints. Go DisplayPort for the full 144Hz.

"Rawr XD"

Because of reasons. Not sure really.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Because it is a limitation of HDMI 1.4.  Nothing really else to say about it.  I think HDMI 2.0 can run at 120@1080 or 60@4k, but don't quote me on that.  Or 1.4b.  Idk :( 

Tldr; won't work.  Go display port.

Like what others say, HDMI doesn't work use Displayport 

Because it is a limitation of HDMI 1.4.  Nothing really else to say about it.  I think HDMI 2.0 can run at 120@1080 or 60@4k, but don't quote me on that.  Or 1.4b.  Idk :(

Tldr; won't work.  Go display port.

HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p at 144hz

HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p at 120

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

because the highest HDMI is capable of is 60hz, you need a dual link dvi cable or display port for 144hz.

no problem. i accidentally have 2 :P

HDMI can do higher then 60Hz, just not at 1080p on 1.4. 

"Rawr XD"

Dual Link DVI will also work at 144Hz if you can't get your hands on a DisplayPort cable.

The acer monitor does not have support for displayport but has support for DL-DVI

no problem. i accidentally have 2 :P

Don't know if you were being serious, but dual-link does not mean 2 DVI cables!!!

Don't know if you were being serious, but dual-link does not mean 2 DVI cables!!!

i know that. :P :P i meant 2 seprerate dual-link dvi cables

i know that. :P :P i meant 2 seprerate dual-link dvi cables

Oh ok haha!

HDMI 1.3 and above has more bandwidth than dual-link DVI, and is capable of up to 1080p 144 Hz. However, some monitors will not support more than 60 Hz over HDMI 1.4 anyway, it's just a limitation of those monitors, it's unfortunate but it's a thing. The GN246HL is one of them, it only accepts 1080p 144 Hz over DL-DVI.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but I just got the AcerGN246HL myself and I have a cable that is HDMI to DP (hdmi side plugs into monitor, dp side plugs into graphics card) and when I use the cable it does in fact allow me to run 144hz.

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2016 at 0:32 PM, Thor92 said:

I know this thread is old but I just got the AcerGN246HL myself and I have a cable that is HDMI to DP (hdmi side plugs into monitor, dp side plugs into graphics card) and when I use the cable it does in fact allow me to run 144hz.

If you do have such a cable, can you link to a amazon or other store page (or a model number or something like that) to buy one of said cables?  i have 2 of the monitors but my shiny new GTX1080 doesn't have 2 dvi-d out ports to power both monitors like my old GTX970 did, so i have one running at 144 hz and the other one is limited by the hdmi at 60 (OCed to 72)hz.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Confused2 said:

If you do have such a cable, can you link to a amazon or other store page (or a model number or something like that) to buy one of said cables?  i have 2 of the monitors but my shiny new GTX1080 doesn't have 2 dvi-d out ports to power both monitors like my old GTX970 did, so i have one running at 144 hz and the other one is limited by the hdmi at 60 (OCed to 72)hz.

Thanks!

Try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZA067MA/

I've used it for 4K 30 Hz before so I know it can handle the full bandwidth of HDMI 1.4.