Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 - Moto G 2014/15 killer?

Aniallation

Alcatel is set to launch their newest device later this month, and it looks to be a really great phone for the $250 price tag. The OneTouch Idol 3.

I'm honestly considering getting one of these myself. With better specs in pretty much every area compared to the latest Moto G, personally this phone looks very promising for those who aren't on the Zenfone 2 wagon.

idol3-7.0.jpg

idol3-4.0.jpg idol3-6.0.jpg

idol3-5.0.jpg

Source - The Verge

The Idol 3 features a 5.5-inch IPS 1080p display, dual front-facing stereo speakers, and a 13 megapixel rear camera. Inside it’s packing an octa-core Snapdragon 615 processor (quad-core 1.5 GHz and quad-core 1.0 GHz), 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage (expandable up to 128GB), and a 2,910 mAh battery.

Source - 9to5 Google

A SUPERPHONE FOR THE PRICE OF A SMARTPHONE - The award-winning ALCATEL ONETOUCH IDOL 3 Smartphone offers a superphone experience, priced for the everyday smartphone user. IDOL 3 packs a powerful 3-in-1 experience, with great sound, Full HD display and industry-leading camera.

• TRUE TO LIFE MUSIC FEATURING JBL AUDIO - The Award-Winning JBL Audio with Clari-Fi Technology by Harman, IDOL 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience! With dual front-facing JBL stereo speakers, IDOL 3 packs professional audio quality for true-to-life sound. You can also create your own custom beats with the ONETOUCH Mix app, which lets you mix both local and streaming tracks to save and share with your friends.

• VIVID CINEMATIC COLOR WITH TECHNICOLORTM COLOR ENHANCE TECHNOLOGY - Backed by 100 years of cinematic experience, IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand. Get a clear view of your pictures and videos from any angle, even in direct sunlight.

• INDUSTRY LEADING CAMERA QUALITY - Whether you are taking a selfie or capturing any one of life's important moments, the IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophiles. The IDOL 3 also comes packed with a full-featured camera application, including time-lapse, HDR, panoramic and manual mode, so you have the power to create and capture the experiences you want to remember.

• POWER PACKED PERFORMANCE - Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 615 processor, the IDOL 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity to help keep up with your fast paced life. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound.

Source - Alcatel product page

Reviews:

PhoneDog: http://www.phonedog.com/videos/alcatel-onetouch-idol-3-review

CNET: http://www.cnet.com/products/alcatel-onetouch-idol-3/

The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/8499583/alcatel-onetouch-idol-3-review

9to5 Google: http://9to5google.com/2015/05/06/alcatel-onetouch-idol-3-review-video/

Official sites/pre-order:

Alcatel direct: http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK

"Rawr XD"

wut

Considering that the S3 was a "superphone", why not

"Rawr XD"

The CPU is kinda weaksauce, but considering that price-tag, it's a pretty impressive device!

Not bad. I like the front facing speakers but lack of a dual SIM slot is a little disappointing, though not surprising if it's marketed towards the US.

Camera's nothing to write home about and apparently the battery life is meh, but it'd be sweet to see a head to head against the Zenfone 2.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Not bad. I like the front facing speakers but lack of a dual SIM slot is a little disappointing, though not surprising if it's marketed towards the US.

Camera's nothing to write home about and apparently the battery life is meh, but it'd be sweet to see a head to head against the Zenfone 2.

It's marketed towards the US/Canadian markets (pretty much exclusively) so yeah don't be expecting dual SIM, especially since it's LTE compatible with as far as I can tell all NA GSM carriers. 

The CPU is kinda weaksauce, but considering that price-tag, it's a pretty impressive device!

It's still better then the 400 in the Moto G (and 410 in the for some reason faster Moto E LTE), and it's actually the rumored chipset to be in the Zenfone 3http://www.christiantoday.com/article/asus.zenfone.3.specs.qualcomm.snapdragon.615.soc.intel.atom/53098.htm

"Rawr XD"

• 2 weeks later...

IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophiles

Did they invent a new word? High megapixel count does not mean it will take great pictures.

Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound

Backed by 100 years of cinematic experience, IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand

Much cinematic, such wow. 

ZenFone 2 is the real Moto G2 killer. I would take the ZenFone 2 over this all day long with better hardware and coming from a more reputable manufacture.

P.S. This device is butt ass ugly.

LOL Alcatel haha.

They were my 1st mobile phone brand

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/24__23_11_48/ALCATEL_TASCHEN_img.jpgd2282090-88a2-4df9-81f4-0ae3625850f6Larger.jpg

I was 7 or 8 at the time :)

Very decent specs for such low price.

But the use of "one" oh god.... :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

ZenFone 2 is the real Moto G2 killer. I would take the ZenFone 2 over this all day long with better hardware and coming from a more reputable manufacture.

P.S. This device is butt ass ugly.

I think that this looks nicer then the ZenFone 2, including the front which looks like OPO, so aesthetics is subjective.

Honestly Asus has been overhyped. ZenFone 2 is more powerful processor-wise, but Idol 3 is better functionally. Better display panel, nice front facing speakers, better battery life, etc. And I know for sure that around here Alcatel is a more reputable manufacturer for phones then Asus is. Many people here have never even heard of Asus making computers.

"Rawr XD"

and another low priced phone with 5.5 inch dispay that is just too big for my tiny hands .. :(

Is there a 32GB version ? 16GB is kinda low. I know there's always the SD cards but they're slow and so unreliable. 

Front speakers? Throw in a better CPU and it's on pair with my G2  :blink: For $250?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.