Android M coming at Google I/O this month

Google just released the schedule for its developer conference at the end of this month, otherwise known as Google I/O.   Apparently Google did have a piece of information hiding in the schedule, however, and it referenced “Android M.” Android Police grabbed an image of the schedule, included above, though it has since been pulled. It seems likely, then, that Google will introduce the next version of its operating system in a similar fashion to how it introduced Android 5.0 Lollipop. That began when it launched “Android L” during Google I/O last year.

That’s about all the information there is on Android M, however. But the good news is it sounds like Google will indeed talk about the next major iteration of Android later this month, which may have been in development since at least September, and we can’t wait to hear what sort of changes are coming.

android-m.jpg

Mostly, Google just needs to focus on fixing all of the minor issues that L has (memory leaks, crashes, battery life (that might have been fixed in 5.0.1 or 5.1 though) etc) and maybe adding minor features (I would really like it if you could customise the quick settings). I'm sure they'll have some features to promote it and justify incrementing the letter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's focussed on being a maintenance release.

HTTP/2 203

I doubt it will be M&M, it will probably be Meringue or Marshmallow.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Milkshake or Marshmallow

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

So the next Nexus phone (Nexus 7??? Again) should be running android M?

The experience of switching from KitKat to Lollipop wasn't exactly great. The news of new Android OS just.....not very exciting. I just don't understand why do we need new OS every year.

Mostly, Google just needs to focus on fixing all of the minor issues that L has (memory leaks, crashes, battery life (that might have been fixed in 5.0.1 or 5.1 though) etc) and maybe adding minor features (I would really like it if you could customise the quick settings). I'm sure they'll have some features to promote it and justify incrementing the letter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's focussed on being a maintenance release.

Nope all Google need to do is keep releasing new OSs with silly names that only 3% of phones will ever get and everyone will be stuck on a version from 3 years ago

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Mayonnaise?

No Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument! :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

FFS fix lolipop first.  seriously the roll out of updates on android is beyond unacceptable.  

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Yay new OS. Heard months ago that its meant to be much bigger change than 4.00 was to L.

Excited if it comes polished to the smallest detail and improves stuff rather than removes them.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Mayonnaise?

As of right now, Google uses "sweets" for all of its Android codenames.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

FFS fix lolipop first.  seriously the roll out of updates on android is beyond unacceptable.  

Issues with Lollipop is not a reason to prevent progress. It's not Google's fault the phone manufacturers are too slow in rolling out their updates, I'm sure M will fix many of the issues with Lollipop.

I doubt it will be M&M, it will probably be Meringue or Marshmallow.

4.4 was KitKat so... why not?

Nope all Google need to do is keep releasing new OSs with silly names that only 3% of phones will ever get and everyone will be stuck on a version from 3 years ago

That's not Google's fault though

I am an Android Developer and, and our most popular app is currently 29.9% on lollipop, 55% on KitKat, Jelly Bean 10.7% ICS 4.4%

Mind you, this is a distribution that is only for Canada, global rates are much less. 

So its clear that adaptations are different from countries to countries and its still very slow. And those people stuck on ICS and Jelly Bean are not going to get upgraded ... until those people buy new phones. 

One thing to keep in mind tho, is that Google updates their services much more consistently across all android versions, so there are some stuff such as MAPS or Youtube integration which is updated independently from the OS which is nice. 

Biggest problem comes when they introduce new APIs like the new animation APIs that came in. AWSOME, but from business perspective it does make sense for us to put time into it them until there is a critical mass of users who will appreciate this. Add to this that I have seen many APIs behave differently from device to device because the OEMs manage stuff differently you always have to wait for couple of years before you can use to new stuff natively. 

That's not Google's fault though

Its their OS they could have taken it upon themselves to not let manufactures release their own bastardised versions - or release an update for any phone to get updated etc - but they just choose not to

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its their OS they could have taken it upon themselves to not let manufactures release their own bastardised versions - or release an update for any phone to get updated etc - but they just choose not to

They chose not to be Apple, this is what separates Android from iOS, the point is that phone manufacturers can make Android whatever they want it to be, even if  what they mak eit into sucks.

They chose not to be Apple, this is what separates Android from iOS, the point is that phone manufacturers can make Android whatever they want it to be, even if  what they mak eit into sucks.

Which is shit from a customer stand point, you have no idea if your phone will be supported or get upgrades, they can still have android open but manage it better, perhaps allow customers the ability to install stock android latest version onto any handset with the power to run it (without rooting and fucking around)

They could have done that from the beginning, would have meant a less fragmented system and given customers better support